ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on with King George and Courtland?

I was there updating the scores on the Scoreboard and here's a rundown.

Courtland took the opening possession and held on for 11:21 and scored a touchdown with 0:39 to go in the 1st Quarter. The extra point was blocked. They were aided by a super early 15-yard unsportsmanlike (one of many, many flags tonight) which led to a King George ejection. I don't know which player was ejected for King George.

Courtland was slow and methodical during this drive and milked the clock by running the ball.

King George and Courtland would exchange possessions. King George would throw a tipped interception. Courtland didn't do much in return. King George would then drive late in the 2nd Quarter and score on a tipped pass in the back right corner of the end zone to take the lead with 1:10 to go in the 2nd Quarter.

Courtland had the ball around midfield and were extremely slow in a situation which called for a hurry-up offense. The clock ran out on them. Same thing happened at the end of the game.

King George would get the ball to start the 3rd Quarter and lost a fumble. Courtland got the ball back but could do nothing. King George then punted (their kicker is awesome) and the Courtland player muffed the ball so King George had the ball inside the Courtland 40. King George would score on another touchdown pass to make it 14-6 late in the 3rd quarter; this time in the front left corner of the end zone. The second athletic play by a King George wide receiver on the night.

More sloppy play and Courtland would march down the field. They converted a couple of third-and-longs and eventually ran in the touchdown and the conversion to tie the game at 14 with 6:40 to go. Too much time though because King George would have their way by scoring just two minutes later to take the lead for good.

They would exchange possessions again and Courtland had the ball with two minutes to go but could not get past midfield. They were extremely slow.

Takeaways: King George can't score if they don't have the ball. When they had the ball, they were sloppy, but the wide receivers made two big plays tonight and that sucked the life out of Courtland. If someone can play disciplined and controlled football against King George, they have a shot to stay in the game. Suck the life out of them and run the clock.

For Courtland, the opening drive was an absolute master class. After that, they were shook with the exception of their drive to tie the game in the fourth quarter. Their quarterback cannot drop straight back. He only attempts passes on a rollout and King George's speed was able to collapse on him during some key plays. Also, he takes forever to wind up to throw downfield so that doesn't help.

King George did just enough to win. And good teams win sloppy games every now and then. They are quick. They are athletic. I think they expected to steamroll Courtland, but Courtland's slow running game early on took them by surprise.

And on a side note, the officials were garbage both ways. I'm not sure what has happened to the Rappahannock Valley Football Officials Association (Fredericksburg), but they have regressed severely. They used to pride themselves on looking sharp and having proper mechanics. Tonight, it was brutal to watch. Also to officials: Sell your calls. Don't just quietly point or call for a conference to speak to another official. Don't click your button to talk on your wireless mic to other officials. You have to sell your calls and be decisive in front of your sideline and the fans.

And thank you for coming to my TEDTalk.

Last edited:
I assume Courtland still predominantly uses “the three yards and a cloud of dust” offense? They always were slow and methodical. Which seldom works against well coached, athletic teams. The fact that KG struggled with them causes me to scratch my head. Is KG not the team they were last year, or did they just have a bad game?

Reactions: cavaliers91
Bad game . Turnovers, penalties, and some poor execution. Courtland ran about 68 plays to our 38. The first drive was 19 plays and used up the entire 1st quarter. They converted about 4 fourth downs on that drive. They had about 135 yards rushing on 40-something carries and only had 49 yards passing.

Bad game . Turnovers, penalties, and some poor execution. Courtland ran about 68 plays to our 38. The first drive was 19 plays and used up the entire 1st quarter. They converted about 4 fourth downs on that drive. They had about 135 yards rushing on 40-something carries and only had 49 yards passing.
I can’t remember the name of what the old fashion offensive formation that they always used? I guess they haven’t changed?

It looks like you struggled to stop their run game. But, what surprises me is that you didn’t put up more points against their defense, which isn’t known to be the strong part of their game.

I‘ll just chalk it up as a bad effort by KG, based on what you said. Even top teams usually have a game like that every year. At least you won. Assuming you win out, that should lock you into the #1 seed.

Reactions: cavaliers91
I can’t remember the name of what the old fashion offensive formation that they always used? I guess they haven’t changed?

Is it the single wing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT