ADVERTISEMENT

Conference 23

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Edited this post. I was very wrong. George Washington will be the #1 seed, but I calculated the way the seeding goes incorrectly. Amherst County will be #2, and Liberty Christian will be #3, followed by Charlottesville, then EC Glass, then Jefferson Forest. I personally do not like the way it's turned out because the seeding benefits LCA greatly. Charlottesville is 13-5 against schools that count for seeding, and LCA is 10-3. So it makes sense why they are ahead. However, since LCA is private, some of their losses (Hargrave and Blue Ridge, for example) do not count. So while Charlottesville is 15-6 on the year and LCA is 11-6, LCA will get #3, get to host Jefferson Forest then play Amherst. Charlottesville, on the other hand, has to play Glass then @ GW if they win. Certainly a harder path for the Black Knight's even though their overall record is better.

Last edited:
So it looks like GW Danville is going to lock up the #1 seed like last year, although we can't be sure, because they still have Halifax, LCA and Martinsville on their schedule. Assuming GW does get the #1 seed (which is a very reasonable guess) they would get home court the entire tournament, which is a big advantage because teams like Charlottesville are 2 hours away at least. Amherst County is 12-4 right now, with Rustburg twice and Liberty Christian left, plus the district tournament. Charlottesville has played a lot of games this year so they could lock up the #2 seed depending on their district tournament, but it will prove difficult with Western Albemarle Friday and probably Albemarle in the district tournament. I believe Liberty Christian would get #4 and EC Glass #5, which would set up a LCA/Glass game to decide who plays in the semis at GW. Whoever gets the #3 seed between Cville and Amherst would host Jefferson Forest, then the winner would play at the #2 seed.
seeding is determined by games played against divisions 3,4, and 5 only. Games played against 1,2, 6 and private schools do not count in conference 23 seeding.

GW has had homecourt in Conference 24/23 every year but 2015. Not many teams go into that gym and win, it just doesn't happen. Could change this year. Charlottesville almost beat them in the Conference 23 semi's last year and Glass gave them a game for the Ship. This may be the best Conference in 4a, along with that conference with Jamestown, Smithfield and Heritage NN. I personally like GW on the road. Hopefully we can make another trip to Purcellville and play Valley if these guys play GW Basketball.

LCA counts as a division 4 school like any other member. The seeding is determined by winning percentage against division 3,4, and 5 schools only. It is not like football where you gain more points for playing a higher division school. All schools count the same. When you get to regionals all games count whether private school or divisions 1,2, and 6.

LCA counts as a division 4 school like any other member. The seeding is determined by winning percentage against division 3,4, and 5 schools only. It is not like football where you gain more points for playing a higher division school. All schools count the same. When you get to regionals all games count whether private school or divisions 1,2, and 6.
winning percentage, that is what I heard but how is that determined

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT