ADVERTISEMENT

Contenders VS Pretenders

Contenders
Glass
Salem
Dinwiddie
LT
Monacan
Louisa (Brandon Smith; y’all better ask somebody)
Lafayette (most underrated program in 4a)

Pretenders
GW (Contenders if the defense is up to par; Contenders if they remain disciplined and focused).
Teams in Region C (I’m not buying Sherando or Woodgrove)
Kings Fork (Them and GW are mirror programs; exceptional athletes...Fizzle in big games. Contenders if they are disciplined and focused).
EV (Not sold on them. Region B is a tough Region, they gotta make Sports Head a believer).

Edit: I forgot to mention, another reason Louisa is mentioned is Jarrett Hunter is a dynamic player; similar to Petey Pope. Could very well be an All State QB/Athlete as he will be the centerpiece of that offense who loses some horses in Whalen and Bell. Hoos, that kid is a player.

Last edited:
Contenders
Glass
Salem
Dinwiddie
LT
Monacan

Pretenders
GW (Contenders if the defense is up to par; Contenders if they remain disciplined and focused).
Kings Fork (Them and GW are mirror programs; exceptional athletes...Fizzle in big games. Contenders if they are disciplined and focused).
EV (Not sold on them. Region B is a tough Region, they gotta make Sports Head a believer).
I’d probably add Deep Creek to Contender status. Region B was stacked last year, Region A is stacked this year! 757 stand up!

Reactions: Rev_Real
?????
Better than the Capital or the SE district?
No sir DSH
Idk bro.. Pure talent, you’re absolutely right but from top to bottom. 5 teams could possibly win the Seminole (Argubly 6 teams IMO), 3 teams could win the Capital (HS, Varina, and Henrico), and 3 could win the SE (KF, Smith and DC)..Add N.R. in so 4. Game in and game out, Seminole is must see TV! I believe the Dominion District is better than the Capital this year. Bird, Monacan, Manchester, & James River. It’s deep!

Idk bro.. Pure talent, you’re absolutely right but from top to bottom. 5 teams could possibly win the Seminole (Argubly 6 teams IMO), 3 teams could win the Capital (HS, Varina, and Henrico), and 3 could win the SE (KF, Smith and DC)..Add N.R. in so 4. Game in and game out, Seminole is must see TV! I believe the Dominion District is better than the Capital this year. Bird, Monacan, Manchester, & James River. It’s deep!

Well if we are talking about competition within the district you may be correct. Your not suggesting that those teams lined up against Capital would win in cross district games at a higher percentage than they lost? There is a district up in NOVA that might have something to say about that as well. I do agree with you though that the competition within that district is certainly compelling.

Well if we are talking about competition within the district you may be correct. Your not suggesting that those teams lined up against Capital would win in cross district games at a higher percentage than they lost? There is a district up in NOVA that might have something to say about that as well. I do agree with you though that the competition within that district is certainly compelling.
Noooo sir! Wasn’t my insinuation at all. Heritage and Glass could probably compete with the Atlee’s, Lee Davis, and Hanover’s.. Varina and Henrico would be too much in the end .. Of course Springs would win by at least 3 scores. Dominion is loaded and could have 2 state champions this year, the district with Lake Braddock, Centreville, South County? That’s a d*mn good district! The district with Ponax, North Stafford, Brooke Point, and Stafford (Commonwealth?) that’s a darn good district too. I just believe from top to bottom, the Seminole is that competitive. There’s 4 teams that could win either 3a or 4a (Glass, JF (IFFFF THEY HAVE ANY TYPE OF DEFENSE), Heritage and Brookville).

Reactions: mbonape1
Noooo sir! Wasn’t my insinuation at all. Heritage and Glass could probably compete with the Atlee’s, Lee Davis, and Hanover’s.. Varina and Henrico would be too much in the end .. Of course Springs would win by at least 3 scores. Dominion is loaded and could have 2 state champions this year, the district with Lake Braddock, Centreville, South County? That’s a d*mn good district! The district with Ponax, North Stafford, Brooke Point, and Stafford (Commonwealth?) that’s a darn good district too. I just believe from top to bottom, the Seminole is that competitive. There’s 4 teams that could win either 3a or 4a (Glass, JF (IFFFF THEY HAVE ANY TYPE OF DEFENSE), Heritage and Brookville).
The district with Ponax, North Stafford, Brooke Point, and Stafford (Commonwealth?) This district also has Colonial Forge and Riverbend in it too!!

Contenders
Glass
Salem
Dinwiddie
LT
Monacan

Pretenders

Edit: I forgot to mention, another reason Louisa is mentioned is Jarrett Hunter is a dynamic player; similar to Petey Pope. Could very well be an All State QB/Athlete as he will be the centerpiece of that offense who loses some horses in Whalen and Bell. Hoos, that kid is a player.

Sherando has a pretty easy schedule before the Warriors bye week, then they have Martinsburg after the bye (which should help them prepare) then cake walk to the Millbrook game, they could finish 8-2 or 10-0, all depends if they stay healthy, they will get to the playoffs, question is, what will they do once they get there

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Sherando has a pretty easy schedule before the Warriors bye week, then they have Martinsburg after the bye (which should help them prepare) then cake walk to the Millbrook game, they could finish 8-2 or 10-0, all depends if they stay healthy, they will get to the playoffs, question is, what will they do once they get there
Martinsburg is all hype. I think I calculated their last year’s combined opponent win average was 4.7. Both teams play a Weenie hut jr schedule. Sherando made Martinsburg’s average much higher. Seems like the board has a lot of optimism for Sherando so we’ll see. I definitely think they’ll be a top 3 team in C, however I feel like whoever wins D will represent the West.

Last edited:

It'll depend on the defense. I doubt the offense will have any trouble scoring on anyone in Region C this year, outside of maybe Woodgrove, but even in victories last year the defense looked suspect at times, especially against fast teams. It seemed like the Warriors often had chances to put teams away on defense but ended up giving up big plays on 3rd down. Happened against Millbrook, Liberty, and Martinsburg last year several times.

If Sherando is anything worse than 9-1 at the end of the regular season they won't be a state title contender, the only exception being something like the Liberty game last year where they likely would have won had it not been for a minor injury that took the QB out for the second half. Every regular season game outside of Martinsburg needs to be a win by a comfortable margin if they're going to compete past Region C this year.

It'll depend on the defense. I doubt the offense will have any trouble scoring on anyone in Region C this year, outside of maybe Woodgrove, but even in victories last year the defense looked suspect at times, especially against fast teams. It seemed like the Warriors often had chances to put teams away on defense but ended up giving up big plays on 3rd down. Happened against Millbrook, Liberty, and Martinsburg last year several times.

If Sherando is anything worse than 9-1 at the end of the regular season they won't be a state title contender, the only exception being something like the Liberty game last year where they likely would have won had it not been for a minor injury that took the QB out for the second half. Every regular season game outside of Martinsburg needs to be a win by a comfortable margin if they're going to compete past Region C this year.
Woahhh you just changed it. You said “Martinsburg is Martinsburg..Their second team could beat most 4a schools.” Homie, they struggled to only beat Sherando by 7 and played a bunch of teams who won 4 to 6 games including in the playoffs.. NO SIR!! Glad you edited this.

Martinsburg is all hype. I think I calculated their last year’s combined opponent win average was 4.7. Both teams play a Weenie hut jr schedule. Sherando made Martinsburg’s average much higher. Seems like the board has a lot of optimism for Sherando so we’ll see. I definitely think they’ll be a top 3 team in C, however I feel like whoever wins D will represent the West.

Optimism is that they will be there in the playoffs, just based off schedule alone, question is, can they make plays against the big boys in Region 4? That has been there problem for the past few years, blow through the regular season and oopps, there is someone better.

I said it last year, Martinsburg is good but Sherando fans elevate them because it helps ease the loss. West Virginia is exceptionally bad overall at football, that's just fact. There is very, very little talent in that state (they used to have a top 5 on Rivals compared to a top 30 for VA or top 50 for PA) and that all the more goes to Martinsburg's benefit since people that can't leave the state but want their kid to get noticed playing football are more likely to get their kids to that school. Hells bells, there's ONE P5 college in that state and they can't even come close to being even 25% WV kids 75% OOS. Most years, WVU gets a whole 1-3 kids from the state and it's not because kids are running OOS, there's just very little talent overall.

One of these days you guys will beat them and then realize they're only mortals and stop this foolishness about Martinsburg being able to hang with any and every team in Virginia and probably how Salem or Dinwiddie would be lucky to be in the game by the end of the first half.

I said it last year, Martinsburg is good but Sherando fans elevate them because it helps ease the loss. West Virginia is exceptionally bad overall at football, that's just fact. There is very, very little talent in that state (they used to have a top 5 on Rivals compared to a top 30 for VA or top 50 for PA) and that all the more goes to Martinsburg's benefit since people that can't leave the state but want their kid to get noticed playing football are more likely to get their kids to that school. Hells bells, there's ONE P5 college in that state and they can't even come close to being even 25% WV kids 75% OOS. Most years, WVU gets a whole 1-3 kids from the state and it's not because kids are running OOS, there's just very little talent overall.

One of these days you guys will beat them and then realize they're only mortals and stop this foolishness about Martinsburg being able to hang with any and every team in Virginia and probably how Salem or Dinwiddie would be lucky to be in the game by the end of the first half.
This is the truest post I’ve ever read on VA Preps. Prophet 1morehokie. Amen!

1. Sherando has beaten Martinsburg before . 2. In fact, Sherando lost to Martinsburg in 2013 when they went to the State championship after beating Salem, Courtland , and others and then eventually losing to Dinwiddie in the state championship.
I agree Martinsburg on most years would not win the Virginia D-4 championship , but I would disagree on the overall quality and consistency of the program they have . They would have won at least two D-4 tittles in Virginia the last 6 to 8 years. I have seen teams they would beat. They are very well coached, ask LCA how it’s worked out for them. Or
Nobody at Sherando is trying to hype up Martinsburg to be the next 2013 Dinwiddie , but they are a quality program and are the best regular season team the Warriors play every year. Sherando will have to be at the best to beat them in every year. You guys should ask Briar woods 2010 who won the state title in Virginia not losing to one team in Virginia , but they lost to Martinsburg that year. Or you can ask the 2014 d-5 tuscarora semifinal team that lost barely to LC Bird in the final how tough Martinsburg was only beating them by a few scores late in the game.
It’s easy to criticize teams you haven’t seen , but they would handle many quality teams in Virginia on a yearly basis.

Reactions: Shruikan
What is the need to knock teams, especially ones that aren't even in this state? The fact is that it doesnt matter how good they are. If Sherando beats them or loses to them by 100 points has no bearing on the Virginia state champion.

I just dont understand the need for people to talk badly about any team. You can get your point across in other ways. And in the past year I have read it from people about their own teams, teams that beat their team, other teams, team you have never seen/played, and out of state teams. And on the flip side talked teams way up for the same things

Don’t believe me , go get a game with them . They are always looking for a game . Nobody in West Virginia wants to play them.
Ham no one doubts they have a good program. They beat who they play out there but to think they’ll beat a team like Dinwiddie, Highland Springs, Oscar Smith, Salem, Westfield or any perennial power in VA is nuts. Give them King’s Fork, Monacan or Dinwiddie’s schedule and they go 6-4/7-3 at best. They are a tough team for the area that they play in no doubt, but they’re not in the same category with the VA elite programs like it’s portrayed they are every year.

Reactions: OCBoy
What is the need to knock teams, especially ones that aren't even in this state? The fact is that it doesnt matter how good they are. If Sherando beats them or loses to them by 100 points has no bearing on the Virginia state champion.

I just dont understand the need for people to talk badly about any team. You can get your point across in other ways. And in the past year I have read it from people about their own teams, teams that beat their team, other teams, team you have never seen/played, and out of state teams. And on the flip side talked teams way up for the same things
Maybe because this is a message board where people discuss sports and give their opinions?

Reactions: 7time and Lineheart

Oh please. You guys hype them up way more than any Sherando fan here has. Can't remember any time I've said they'd have won six Virginia championships in the past decade or that they'd beat everyone in Virginia in the first half. They're better than most here give them credit for and have achieved recognition that most 4A schools in Virginia have not. That's not the same thing as me saying "hey, this random newspaper voted them really highly so that means Sherando doesn't suck as much as you guys say."

I'd love to be able to discuss Winchester area teams in comparison to Sherando but unfortunately our more traditional rivals haven't been in the playoff discussion in quite some time, and the other typically strong programs are over an hour away or in 5A, so I have to look elsewhere.

But yeah, I totally harbor a secret belief that Martinsburg would blow out IMG Academy and Mater Dei at the same time. :rolleyes::p

Martinsburg would beat Danville soundly. The Bulldogs are loaded with players, they have 30 kids that can play without losing much talent. Coach Walker is one hell of a coach. I would say in most years they would be in top 4 in states on the 4A level in Virginia...Danville might have a few kids better than Martinsburg's best kid but they don't have the depth or the coaching.

Ham no one doubts they have a good program. They beat who they play out there but to think they’ll beat a team like Dinwiddie, Highland Springs, Oscar Smith, Salem, Westfield or any perennial power in VA is nuts. Give them King’s Fork, Monacan or Dinwiddie’s schedule and they go 6-4/7-3 at best. They are a tough team for the area that they play in no doubt, but they’re not in the same category with the VA elite programs like it’s portrayed they are every year.
Wrong, first off they have 1250 students so they wouldn’t be playing some of those teams you mentioned and most of D-4 would be losing to Westfield , Oscar smith and highland springs . You are not comparing like teams. Listen like I said , schedule them, they are always looking for games , and they will travel. They are not always going to be the D-4 champ in Virginia I agree , but they are not a 6-4 or 7-3 team in Virginia except on maybe a extreme down year. There are a lot of other teams schedule that could be under more scrutiny than Sherando’s , they play who they can get with a hours drive. Frederick county is not going to let them go far from home. Just how they are

Reactions: Shruikan
I just want to add , nobody else in the Northwestern District will play Martinsburg, they may not be as good as you think they are. However, maybe the question to be asked is why won’t anybody else play them?

Chiming in here. I don’t think that they would be a top 5 team in the state regardless of classification. Maybe a top 10 year in and year out regardless of classification. Good opponent for Sherando. If they win or keep it close then it is a good sign and means Sherando is a contender for a state title. If they get blown out then it doesn’t mean they are a bad team they just probably don’t have a great shot at winning a 4a title. That’s how I see it. Good measuring stick for Sherando. The rest is just speculation.

Martinsburg would beat Danville soundly. The Bulldogs are loaded with players, they have 30 kids that can play without losing much talent. Coach Walker is one hell of a coach. I would say in most years they would be in top 4 in states on the 4A level in Virginia...Danville might have a few kids better than Martinsburg's best kid but they don't have the depth or the coaching.
We’re not taking about Danville. We’re talking about Martinsburg. Danville has never played Martinsburg and never will. I seen Martinsburg play PH back in 2012 and wasn’t impressed. They were supposed to be this and that. They won the state championship that year. They blew everybody out that year including Sherando. Beat an imploded PH team (21-10 I think it was) that was beat up from GW (which defeated PH a week prior).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT