ADVERTISEMENT

Early look at next year girls 1A West. Who ya got

It’ll be hard to predict, it’ll all depend on which teams put the most work in and improves the most in the off season.
Eastside, GW, PH and Honaker should be the top favorites. Wildcards: Thomas Walker And Grundy.
I’m not sure if Region C has any other possible contenders????

I saw Honaker, George Wythe, Galax, PH Glade and Surry down the stretch. My son is a Freshman on PM’s JV team. I was a fan of the girls team.

Out of that list ABOVE no disrespect to ANY other team, but if I had to rank them NOW, here it is:

1 GW
They played with PM, they beat the press, they shot well, they rebounded well. They played in your face defense and they play as a team.

1a Honaker
They were in in until the 3rd period and PM did what PM does/did (hurts me to say that) they imposed their will. Honaker has good inside game, good guard play, play good defense and they play as a team!

3 PH Glade
Height. Heart. Scorers. Only saw them once and was impressed, what they lack from GW and Honaker in my opinion is depth. Play good as a team.

4 Galax
I think losing Brown (why I put them as 4) will be a blow, BUT, they too have depth. Brown was fun to watch and could take over any game, she gave PM fits. They can score, they can run, they can play half-court offense, play sound defense. They play as a team.

5 Riverheads
I never saw these girls play, they play in a tough district, and they stayed within 20 of Surry. That in and of itself is an accomplishment. But everything I’ve read about Riverheads girls on these boards, I have gleaned this. They play as a team.

If you look at these 5 you may or may not agree. Hey, that’s the beauty of this country, we can agree to disagree and still live with one another. Can Riverheads be 1 and Galax 2, etc.? Yes. We just don’t know what the future holds, someone may tear a knee, parents may have to leave the community, or an exceptional talent transfers in. It’s March 19. Who knows what may take place in November 19. Christ may come by then!

I will say this. The ONE common factor of those 5 teams is this, they PLAY AS A TEAM! No disrespect to Surry, they were a good team, their record reflects that. I think the one area PM “got them” is PM played in your face defense as did Surry, BUT PM played team offense and Surry did a lot of one-on-one.

Just my take, as the saying goes, “Don’t shoot the messenger”

The season is over, why so much hostility?

It was arrogant and trash when someone said a team would get beat by 10, but now we have another "we would beat them by 40-50" and calling KIDS awful.

People seem way too easy to say negative things now. I'm guessing everyone here would pick PM to win, so why go out of way to say things like that? My team has a much bigger rivalry with RH than yours, and you would never hear that kind of disrespect from me

Mike summed it up very well in his analysis. Hope all is well down in BV. Stay safe.

Lacrosse season is upon us!

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Things are going great! Hope all is well with you!

Love Lacrosse, PM has a 8th Grader, John Snider, that I think plays for RHS, they say he is really good. Very athletic kid that just has that build and mentality to play it.

I try to catch at least one W&L game a year. Fun sport to watch, almost like Basketball & Football combined.

Reactions: mmqp
Good to hear Man! I think with Patrick Henry and E.C. Glass winning state titles the last two years the sport will start catching on at more of the schools in that area (hoping at least). I used to love going and watching Rockbridge play. I keep up with Robinson High up here and also have made it over to the Naval Academy to watch a few games as well.

You know, I somehow never made it to see W&L play. Always wanted to catch them play VMI but always found reasons not to make it over. Do you happen to recall the "Armadillo" game between W&L and UNC back in the day? I had never heard of it before but the guys who used to frequent the Laxpower site would bring that game up from time to time as it forced some pretty major rule changes. Here's a write up on it https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/throwback-thursday-with-streaker-sports-the-armadillo/19541

And the game is posted up on youtube as well.

Last edited:
I saw those pictures at W&L and the story behind it when we were moving the seats that they donated to PM. I have watched the game on YouTube as well. Loved the part that said something like, “Everyone expected W&L to run the 4 corners AGAINST Carolina!” My oldest son is a PA student in Lynchburg, we are going to go watch a couple of E C Glass games this year. Watched a couple of Lynchburg College (now University) games last year. With W&L so close and basically no one shows up, and they are GREAT games.

Reactions: mmqp
I saw those pictures at W&L and the story behind it when we were moving the seats that they donated to PM. I have watched the game on YouTube as well. Loved the part that said something like, “Everyone expected W&L to run the 4 corners AGAINST Carolina!” My oldest son is a PA student in Lynchburg, we are going to go watch a couple of E C Glass games this year. Watched a couple of Lynchburg College (now University) games last year. With W&L so close and basically no one shows up, and they are GREAT games.

EC Glass put on a show in the state title game last year for 4A and Lynchburg has a solid program as well. I love the photos in that article showing W&L implementing the Armadillo, good stuff lol.

I wish W&L and SVU would start up a rivalry in both Lacrosse and Football. I recall they played each other in football in 2008 or so. That was one heck of a game. And then they never played again. Perhaps they do play in lacrosse but I'm not sure. I know SVU plays St. Mary's in Southern Maryland so I may make the trip down to Leonardtown to watch it.

One of my coaching buddies from the school where she plays had mentioned something last week about it. He said last year there was talk about both girls transferring to GW, but the one decided against it for whatever reason. He thought this was more of a done deal and it was going to happen.

I want to see the Maroons vs Tigers in an early tournament. I was taking Honaker to come out of the west in 2020, but this will make the season a lot more interesting.

GW adding 16 points and 10 rebounds a game at the center position where they get no production at all could be a true game changer.

But the “Achilles heel” for the Maroons is team chemistry, by adding a dominant player this will only get worse I would imagine.

Only four teams have a chance to come out of the west, Parry McClure and Galax are not in GW’s league in 2019-20.

1 Honaker Tigers

- George Wythe Maroons

3 Patrick Henry Rebels

4 Eastside Spartans

One of my coaching buddies from the school where she plays had mentioned something last week about it. He said last year there was talk about both girls transferring to GW, but the one decided against it for whatever reason. He thought this was more of a done deal and it was going to happen.
I want to see the Maroons vs Tigers in an early tournament. I was taking Honaker to come out of the west in 2020, but this will make the season a lot more interesting.

What? Here we go again…selfish...only thinking of themselves…George Wythe tried the same stuff with the Crockett kid back in 2016-17… because that team wasn’t good enough... it hurt your team pcnations I know that, how did it make you feel? Evidently not as bad as Galax is going to feel, not only will it crush the Maroon Tide, it will crush Foxx’s future. No way she scores 16 and 10 at GW…how the hell she going to get the ball pcnations...they are all shooters and don’t share the ball unless they fall down…staying at Galax she puts up Jada Boyd & McNulty numbers, plays D1…At GW she is going to be mad a lot especially when it is all over…and she is headed to D3…who is giving this kid this kind of advice...WOW!

What? Here we go again…selfish...only thinking of themselves…George Wythe tried the same stuff with the Crockett kid back in 2016-17… because that team wasn’t good enough... it hurt your team pcnations I know that, how did it make you feel? Evidently not as bad as Galax is going to feel, not only will it crush the Maroon Tide, it will crush Foxx’s future. No way she scores 16 and 10 at GW…how the hell she going to get the ball pcnations...they are all shooters and don’t share the ball unless they fall down…staying at Galax she puts up Jada Boyd & McNulty numbers, plays D1…At GW she is going to be mad a lot especially when it is all over…and she is headed to D3…who is giving this kid this kind of advice...WOW!

Why are you so mad bro? I bet I know, what would you like to bet?

Why so much hostility......I can tell you this. I follow GW athletics and have been for the past 20 years. Whoever said anything about some transfers is absolutely false. I can tell you that much. GW is loaded for this year and should be a favorite to get to Richmond if the girls play together. So whoever is spreading rumors about a kid coming to GW please stop it is absolutely B/S. Like I said I’m very very very close to GW athletics......and that story is absolutely false

It was a coach from Galax that told me, so it's not really a rumor.

It's not a big deal, this talk happens every offseason.

Why so much hostility......I can tell you this. I follow GW athletics and have been for the past 20 years. Whoever said anything about some transfers is absolutely false. I can tell you that much. GW is loaded for this year and should be a favorite to get to Richmond if the girls play together. So whoever is spreading rumors about a kid coming to GW please stop it is absolutely B/S. Like I said I’m very very very close to GW athletics......and that story is absolutely false
How many of those girls will reach 1000 points this year?

Pcnations to answer your question....yes. They will have 1. They have a 5”8 combo guard last name is Betts and she is pretty darn good. She should eclipse the 1000 point mark around the middle of the season. She’s an upcoming junior and has been getting interest from D1 schools.

Pcnations to answer your question....yes. They will have 1. They have a 5”8 combo guard last name is Betts and she is pretty darn good. She should eclipse the 1000 point mark around the middle of the season. She’s an upcoming junior and has been getting interest from D1 schools.

One girl had 800+ another girl had 700+, and the Ingo girl had 400 something.

I saw on a timesland stat site, but I can't find it now. Thanks

2019-20 GW Players Pts. through last year actually look more like this:

w9cBmhy.png

May be off a point or two, but it is close.

Last edited:
Ok 100 off. Like I said before in an earlier post... the Betts kid will probably be the only one to eclipse 1000 point mark for GW this year.

Hello gentleman

Wonderful to see off season postings about girls basketball kudos to the thread starter

1. Honker Tigers Team basketball with a beast down low.

2. GW. speed and good outside shooting

3. PH great team basketball with solid shooting

4. Eaatside. They just reload.

5. PM I know they graduated however not ranking them is a disgrace to the Coach. It would be hard to imagine that a coach with his credentials won't be a tough out. Great Coaches never lose badly they just reload. PM will be solid

I would give Galax Honorable Mention but with Howard leaving it will be tough going for the Maroon Tide. I've had the pleasure of meeting Howard a few times. He's a great Coach and even better guy. Fort Will benefit greatly with his hire.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT