ADVERTISEMENT

G-Men vs. Bears.

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
Graham has been clicking on all cylinders lately. The Defense has been steadily improving throughout the season. Can they contain Lomax from Union who rushed for 400+ yards and 6 td's in the first round? Can Union Contain Graham's explosive offense which scored 9 td's in the first half in the first round? This should be a whale of a game on Saturday at historic Mitchell Stadium. Both teams have strong line play. Xayvion Bradshaw has shown lately why he is a major D-1 recruit. Will we see another game coming down to last minute heroics like the past 2? Or will one team pull away? Obviously, I am pulling for Graham, but of all of the teams remaining in Region D, Union worries me the most. I believe Graham is the most athletic and most dangerous team in Region D and has speed to burn, however Union is very physical and has plenty of athleticism as well. Should be a great game. I believe this Graham team is better overall then the 2019 team. Is this Graham team as good as the 2018 team? We are about to find out.

Reactions: Stabler1980
I don't even know when Radford plays. Friday night or Saturday. If Friday night, I will ride up to Bluefield to catch that game. It seem like Union always brings their A game against Graham. It's really about the rushing game for Union, and not just related to Union's offense scoring, but it's also about Union being able to run it well enough to kill clock, shorten the game, and keep the Graham offense on the sidelines. If Union's running game is not on, it will not go well for Union. If the run game is on, it's going to be a thriller. I've watched Graham 3 times this year. I think the Graham defensive line has been the most improved position from early on.

I don't even know when Radford plays. Friday night or Saturday. If Friday night, I will ride up to Bluefield to catch that game. It seem like Union always brings their A game against Graham. It's really about the rushing game for Union, and not just related to Union's offense scoring, but it's also about Union being able to run it well enough to kill clock, shorten the game, and keep the Graham offense on the sidelines. If Union's running game is not on, it will not go well for Union. If the run game is on, it's going to be a thriller. I've watched Graham 3 times this year. I think the Graham defensive line has been the most improved position from early on.
Nevermind I read it wrong. You'll go see Radford on Friday then to Bluefield on Saturday if possible, gotcha

Should be a thriller! Of course, I hope GMen deny Coach Turner his 101st win! Congratulations to him on his 100th win coming against VA High. It should be a slobber knocker!

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt my feelings if Turner had to wait until next season to get # 101. Union played well enough to beat Graham in the first matchup. I am anxious to see how much each team has progressed. I do believe that Graham has improved a lot on the defensive side of the ball. They must stop Lomax, if not, Union will feed him the ball 40 times if they have to. Graham will have to find a way to stop him. Put a "Mike" on him. Quit pulling those linebackers up so close all the time. They will have to "read and react" more. Putting Meadows in the middle of the Defensive line and pulling him off of the end was a very good move for Graham. The Defensive ends are very capable and faster then Meadows. Meadows is blowing up the middle of their opponent's offensive line and getting a good push, along with Roberts and crew. It is really disruptive to the running game. Tackling has improved a lot Graham wasn't prepared for how physical Lomax was in the first match. They were doing too much tackling up high and with their arms. They are tackling better now. Gage Sawyers, Zach Blevins, Sean Hughes and Braden Meadows have developed into very good defenders and are doing textbook tackles now. Braden Meadows played a little in that first game, but was coming off of injury. He is at full strength now and that will also help. Also, Bradshaw was being lazy with his tackles early-on and he has really stepped it up in that area too. He cant be lazy on defense at this stage of the game. He is a very good defensive player in all phases when he puts his mind to it. If Graham cmes out knowing that Union will be physical and match that physicality on defense, I like their chances. Graham will score points and I would get the ball to Bradshaw and Clements as much as possible

This should be a great game. Pulling for Union for the simple fact that if the Raiders can make it through Region C then they might get a chance for a home.

This should be a great game. Pulling for Union for the simple fact that if the Raiders can make it through Region C then they might get a chance for a home.

Same reason i want Graham to win. Other than them being a local team. So i can watch some good football all the way to the championship if they keep winning. Also think they have the best shot at a championship from our region.

Would Appomattox play at home if Central were to win the Region and Appo were to win the region? Central is the other number 1 seed in Region D, but I thought Appomattox outpointed Central as well as Union?

Would Appomattox play at home if Central were to win the Region and Appo were to win the region? Central is the other number 1 seed in Region D, but I thought Appomattox outpointed Central as well as Union?
Graham is the overall #1 seed in D. If anyone but them is the Reg D champ, they will be traveling to C.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Three years ago yesterday was when the Gmen beat Union 28-7 at the park. Cam Allen had a great day that game blowing up coverage all game long . He's been doing well at Purdue. Players like him & Mitchell don't come along too often in SWVA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo Bob
Graham will be honoring fallen Officer Chandler on Saturday with a helmet sticker. Fans will be wearing blue in support. Graham runs onto the field with the black and Blue police flag every single game to honor fallen officers. The Big Stone Gap community has suffered a tremendous loss. Graham fans will show up in support of your community.
Proceeds from the 50-50 will go to the family of officer Chandler.

Last edited:
Three years ago yesterday was when the Gmen beat Union 28-7 at the park. Cam Allen had a great day that game blowing up coverage all game long . He's been doing well at Purdue. Players like him & Mitchell don't come along too often in SWVA.
And the year before, the Union defense absolutely brutalized Allen and Mitchell had a huge day and Bears won 37-0. Basically these teams play a playoff game every year. UniOn dominated to start but Graham had gotten best of Bears until last season.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Graham will be honoring fallen Officer Chandler on Saturday with a helmet sticker. Fans will be wearing blue in support. Graham runs onto the field with the black and Blue police flag every single game to honor fallen officers. The Big Stone Gap community has suffered a tremendous loss. Graham fans will show up in support of your community.
Proceeds from the 50-50 will go to the family of officer Chandler.
That is so awesome!

And the year before, the Union defense absolutely brutalized Allen and Mitchell had a huge day and Bears won 37-0. Basically these teams play a playoff game every year. UniOn dominated to start but Graham had gotten best of Bears until last season.
Should be another great game tomorrow! Two very good programs.

Will this game maybe be streamed by anyone other than NFHS? Also is there a link for radio coverage?

Will this game maybe be streamed by anyone other than NFHS? Also is there a link for radio coverage?
NFHS is the only stream. It is very clear at Mitchell. 106.3 (Kicks Country) does the broadcast - warning they talk about themselves more than the game. You may want to search for the Union broadcast.

Reactions: oldfool2

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT