ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City 89 vs Pulaski Co 69 (Adam Ward Classic)

sharkfan83

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 30, 2015
Final score GC 89 - Pulaski County 69

Scoring for GC:

Mac McClung 47
Bradley Dean 18
Zac Ervin 24

At halftime the score was GC leading 40-36 and after the 3rd GC led 57-51. But the 4th Qtr Mac put on a clinic and put the game out of reach. The "overrated" chant was quickly silenced in the 1st qtr. The 3 headed monster puts on another show.

That's one hell of a road win. Any team should not look forward to being on the GC side of any bracket, including the state tournament

The more I see this kid, the more mad I get at Virginia Tech and Tennessee. It's absolute ignorance that this kid doesn't have an offer from both. Both schools are in the area for Gate City. Are you serious, 40 plus points per game, and it's not like it's always a game against (Virginia High School or Abindgon) (no offense to either). He's played 3 of the top 100 or 150 schools in the country with the bunch out of Charlotte, Louisville, and Tennessee which has incredible talent and absolute defensive stoppers, and they have done absolutely nothing with him. What a joke and what a shame for Virginia Tech. I'm sorry, I love my school, but man I'm pissed. They are messing up. He's going to start at Georgetown by his sophomore year and he's going to be an All-American Type player by the time his senior year is done.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The more I see this kid, the more mad I get at Virginia Tech and Tennessee. It's absolute ignorance that this kid doesn't have an offer from both. Both schools are in the area for Gate City. Are you serious, 40 plus points per game, and it's not like it's always a game against (Virginia High School or Abindgon) (no offense to either). He's played 3 of the top 100 or 150 schools in the country with the bunch out of Charlotte, Louisville, and Tennessee which has incredible talent and absolute defensive stoppers, and they have done absolutely nothing with him. What a joke and what a shame for Virginia Tech. I'm sorry, I love my school, but man I'm pissed. They are messing up. He's going to start at Georgetown by his sophomore year and he's going to be an All-American Type player by the time his senior year is done.

I don't see it man, his size kills him. He's an outstanding player but I can't see him as a starter in the ACC, much less an All American. He's playing insane right now but he has a lotta help, Ervin and Dean are possible D1 kids as well. Teams can't afford to double and triple him bc Ervin and Dean can beat you.

I think he has a shot at playing at the next level by his Junior year, but I'm not sure he will succeed to that degree.

I don't see it man, his size kills him. He's an outstanding player but I can't see him as a starter in the ACC, much less an All American. He's playing insane right now but he has a lotta help, Ervin and Dean are possible D1 kids as well. Teams can't afford to double and triple him bc Ervin and Dean can beat you.

I think he has a shot at playing at the next level by his Junior year, but I'm not sure he will succeed to that degree.
Gotta disagree with you my man. Kid is an upgrade over Justin Robinson at Tech and could you imagine him paired with Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy? He’s gonna be alright at G’town. The Big East is arguably the best conference in college basketball. St. John’s with a huge win over Dook, Ewing is doing a very good job at keeping a very bad G’town team competitive and Xavier, Butler, Seton Hall, possibly Creighton and BIG BAD NOVA should do some damage come Tourney time. I’d say the Big East is probably better than ACC right now.

That's one hell of a road win.

Look, I still say they're the odds on favorite to win it all, but we need to be realistic. Pulaski's record is 10-10. They've lost like 5 straight. They lost to Blacksburg the game before this. The same Blacksburg that Radford held to 15 points total once and destroyed twice this year - including in the Cougar Den. The game with GC was a neutral site.

Look, I still say they're the odds on favorite to win it all, but we need to be realistic. Pulaski's record is 10-10. They've lost like 5 straight. They lost to Blacksburg the game before this. The same Blacksburg that Radford held to 15 points total once and destroyed twice this year - including in the Cougar Den. The game with GC was a neutral site.

True, but the impressive part to me is that they had the legs to pull away by 20 in the 4th quarter after playing a late away game Friday night at Abingdon and then having to make the almost 3 hour trip to Salem to play an afternoon game. Not much time for rest in between, but maybe that’s why the game stayed close until the 4th?

True, but the impressive part to me is that they had the legs to pull away by 20 in the 4th quarter after playing a late away game Friday night at Abingdon and then having to make the almost 3 hour trip to Salem to play an afternoon game. Not much time for rest in between, but maybe that’s why the game stayed close until the 4th?
Even more of reason to rest them in 4th quarter in 50 pt win .

Gotta disagree with you my man. Kid is an upgrade over Justin Robinson at Tech and could you imagine him paired with Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy? He’s gonna be alright at G’town. The Big East is arguably the best conference in college basketball. St. John’s with a huge win over Dook, Ewing is doing a very good job at keeping a very bad G’town team competitive and Xavier, Butler, Seton Hall, possibly Creighton and BIG BAD NOVA should do some damage come Tourney time. I’d say the Big East is probably better than ACC right now.

You're crazy man! lol. The Big East is a shell of itself any more. The ACC, B12 and SEC are all better. St. John's is terrible, GTown is terrible. Only two BE teams are ranked, compared with two ACC teams in top five. Going by RPI, ACC has four in top ten. Butler is mediocre, same as Seton Hall and Creighton and after Providence the conference falls flat. The BE sends five, possibly six teams to tourney. ACC sends at least seven, same for B12 and SEC.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Gate City boys push past Pulaski County
  • Robert Anderson | The Roanoke Times
SALEM, Va. - Spectators filled Salem High School at a don’t-tell-the-fire-marshal level.

The object of the attention — Mac McClung — was still signing autographs 30 minutes after Saturday’s final buzzer.

The traveling road show that is McClung and his Gate City High teammates brought so much buzz to the Adam Ward Classic that one thing was nearly forgotten.

Pulaski County didn’t just come to be part of the sideshow.

Pulaski held a second-quarter lead and trailed by just two points midway through the third quarter before Gate City pulled away for an 89-69 victory over the Cougars.

“Our guys battled,” Pulaski County coach Andrew Hart said. “We just wanted to challenge them and not back down.”

Gate City (19-1) presented quite a challenge.

The Blue Devils, whose only 2017-18 loss was to North Mecklenburg (N.C.) in the Arby’s Classic, are led by McClung, a 6-foot-2 Georgetown signee.

McClung scored 47 points including three dunks in the second half when the Blue Devils pulled away.

Pulaski sophomore James Jackson had much of the defensive assignment on the high-flying McClung, a legitimate cause for a sleepless night or two.

“It was on my mind a lot, but I just tried to focus and not get too overwhelmed, not let it scare me too much,” Jackson said. “I tried to come in confident.

“I knew he was going to get his. I knew he was going to score. He was a lot different than anybody I’ve seen this season. He’s strong. He can shoot. He can blow past you.”

McClung did most of his damage on drives to the bucket, either beating the help defense or scoring through contact with a deft bank shot.

“There’s not one single person that can stop him,” Hart said. “You need two or three people sometimes. He’s one of the best finishers around the basket that I’ve ever seen.”

Hart was just happy his team responded from Friday night’s 79-57 loss to Blacksburg in which the Cougars were victims of a 30-2 run.

Guard C.C. Grubb scored 20 points to lead five Pulaski players in double figures.

Logan Robertson and Dre Grubb scored 15 spiece, while Kade Akers had 10 including two 3-pointers to open the game as the Cougars hit 14 treys.

“I just tried to let [the Blacksburg game] go,” Hart said. “It’s good to get back there today and perform well.”

Gate City had three players score all its points.

Junior guard Zac Ervin backed McClung with 24 points, while sophomore Bradley Dean scored 18.

Mostly, the stage was for McClung, who was 19 for 36 from the field and now has 2,463 career points, 308 away from breaking the VHSL record held by former Floyd County star Caleb Tanner.

“Our kids enjoy playing,” Gate City coach Scott Vermillion said. “They like the show.”

McClung is the show.

The Cougars prevented McClung from dunking until the final minute of the third quarter when he threw down an alley-oop.

McClung would trade all his highlights for a VHSL state title.

Gate City lost to Martinsville in the 2016 semifinals and fell to Robert E. Lee last year in the quarterfinals. Both teams went on to win championships.

“It’s crazy,” McClung said. “It motivates us a lot. It’s always in the back of my head. I’ll never forget letting those guys down.”

McClung headed toward Gate City’s bus, only to be intercepted by more autograph seekers.

Has it gotten old yet?

“Not yet,” he said. “I just feel like a lot of hard work is paying off right now.”

dean wont play anywhere with that set shot, sorry

what the hell you smoking, the big east is lucky to be in D1 college basketball, and as to the acc schools you crying about, bennett probably would laugh if he watched mcclung and seen the effort he puts out on D lets wait one year and then see where mcclung is at, i wouldn't be surprise KING COLLEGE

dean wont play anywhere with that set shot, sorry

Sorry if I don't bow to someone who joined Friday with six posts' wisdom. Dean is getting looks from bottom tier D1 schools I've been told. He's also just a sophomore.

My VCU Rams has a freshman that averaged 40 points a game in high school (against way better competition than Mac and Gate City) and he now averages a grand total of 2 minutes per game. 9fter you sound like someone hurt your feelings homie. Pretty messed up what you’re saying about the kid. For Bigwinners and 9fter, that’s your opinion, mine is, I’d rather play any of those ACC schools than I would them Big East schools in the NCAA Tournament. Nova, Seton Hall, and Xavier > Duke, UVA, and Carolina. Senior leadership plus they’ve been there before. You’ll see in March/April.

I don't see it man, his size kills him. .

I understand if you feel he just doesn't have the skill level to play. I respect that difference of opinion, but......on his size? You're not factually accurate. The average height of a Div 1 point guard is 6"1.5 inches. McClung lists at 6'2, and he's built like a brick, and has this summer to add 5 more pounds of muscle weight and lose 1-2% more body fat. He's already wicked strong. Now, before you give me the ole, "he's not really 6"2 and only lists at 6'2 and that's he's only 6"1 at most" please understand that McClung is not the only point guard in America that has a listing height that is an inch or inch and a half higher than what he is. The recruiting world simply didn't single out Mac McClung, and decide we are going to pick this kid, and this kid only in Gate City, VA, and just list him taller than what he is, but leave every other point guard in American untouched. It doesn't work that way.

Fact is, nearly EVERY guard recruit, especially point guard or shooting guard gets listed taller than what they are, and it's not isolated to McClung. That means, if the average listed height of Div 1 point guards are 6"1.5 inches, then this means the average true height is more like 6 feet and 0.5 inches. McClung's no different. My point is...I respect the opinion of someone simply having the feeling that he can't play at the level of Virginia Tech or Tennessee based on skill. I disagree with it by the way, but respect it, but.......based on size.......simply not true. The facts show he's not small. He's average, and his strength is not average. It's much greater than average. His vertical is far above average, with the hops of a 6"5 point guard or 6"6 point guard.

My VCU Rams has a freshman that averaged 40 points a game in high school (against way better competition than Mac and Gate City) and he now averages a grand total of 2 minutes per game. 9fter you sound like someone hurt your feelings homie. Pretty messed up what you’re saying about the kid. For Bigwinners and 9fter, that’s your opinion, mine is, I’d rather play any of those ACC schools than I would them Big East schools in the NCAA Tournament. Nova, Seton Hall, and Xavier > Duke, UVA, and Carolina. Senior leadership plus they’ve been there before. You’ll see in March/April.

That's just crazy man, esp with Nova down their starting PG. Seton Hall would get drilled by UNC or Clemson, they aren't very good. I'd much rather draw Seton Hall than super talented UNC who also has upperclassmen or Xavier over Marvin Bagley and Duke.
You're opinion that you'd rather play those teams is cool, but the opinion that the BE is better than the ACC can be disputed bc metrics out there show the BE is pretty clearly behind the ACC, B12 and SEC. The top of the BE is very good, but after the third or fourth best team it's a huge drop. Compared to ACC, which goes from UVA and Duke at the top all the way thru Miami and VT, seven or eight very good tourney teams. Same with SEC, Auburn and UT at the top and teams like Arkansas and Alabama (who has wins over top 6 RPI Rhode Island, Oklahoma and at Florida) are the seventh or eighth best team. The middle and bottom of the BE lags behind the other major conferences.

I understand if you feel he just doesn't have the skill level to play. I respect that difference of opinion, but......on his size? You're not factually accurate. The average height of a Div 1 point guard is 6"1.5 inches. McClung lists at 6'2, and he's built like a brick, and has this summer to add 5 more pounds of muscle weight and lose 1-2% more body fat. He's already wicked strong. Now, before you give me the ole, "he's not really 6"2 and only lists at 6'2 and that's he's only 6"1 at most" please understand that McClung is not the only point guard in America that has a listing height that is an inch or inch and a half higher than what he is. The recruiting world simply didn't single out Mac McClung, and decide we are going to pick this kid, and this kid only in Gate City, VA, and just list him taller than what he is, but leave every other point guard in American untouched. It doesn't work that way.

Fact is, nearly EVERY guard recruit, especially point guard or shooting guard gets listed taller than what they are, and it's not isolated to McClung. That means, if the average listed height of Div 1 point guards are 6"1.5 inches, then this means the average true height is more like 6 feet and 0.5 inches. McClung's no different. My point is...I respect the opinion of someone simply having the feeling that he can't play at the level of Virginia Tech or Tennessee based on skill. I disagree with it by the way, but respect it, but.......based on size.......simply not true. The facts show he's not small. He's average, and his strength is not average. It's much greater than average. His vertical is far above average, with the hops of a 6"5 point guard or 6"6 point guard.

You're going on the assumption MM is a PG, he is not. He's a two guard on talent but a PG on size. MM doesn't really run an offense, is not a high level distributor and leaves something to be desired on the defensive end .He's quick but not elite PG quick. MM has never played as a true PG, and even successful PGs like Westbrook who operate more like two guards have some experience setting up and running offensive sets regularly. Dean's the PG of that GC team, not MM. For him to success as a PG at the next level, it'll take a lot of work.

That's just crazy man, esp with Nova down their starting PG. Seton Hall would get drilled by UNC or Clemson, they aren't very good. I'd much rather draw Seton Hall than super talented UNC who also has upperclassmen or Xavier over Marvin Bagley and Duke.
You're opinion that you'd rather play those teams is cool, but the opinion that the BE is better than the ACC can be disputed bc metrics out there show the BE is pretty clearly behind the ACC, B12 and SEC. The top of the BE is very good, but after the third or fourth best team it's a huge drop. Compared to ACC, which goes from UVA and Duke at the top all the way thru Miami and VT, seven or eight very good tourney teams. Same with SEC, Auburn and UT at the top and teams like Arkansas and Alabama (who has wins over top 6 RPI Rhode Island, Oklahoma and at Florida) are the seventh or eighth best team. The middle and bottom of the BE lags behind the other major conferences.
You know your stuff. March is coming up so we’ll see real soon. I don’t put too much stock into Duke (those kids are ready to declare for the draft), UNC (inconsistent), and UVA who are the best of the bunch but will be beaten like always. Not saying that a BE team will win it all but I believe they will be a tougher out.

I agree that Mac’s SWVA competition is poor and other than the 4-5 out of state schools he hasn’t really played any real defense this season.... but he did play high level AAU and he put on a show at the Adidas Uprising in Vegas. I think he showed there that he can play up to any competition, even though he doesn’t get to regularly.

I don’t know what kid you’re talking about at VCU and he may be great and still not getting playing time because VCU has been a very steady and solid program? It’s a different situation at Georgetown where they have been in the dumps and still are judging by some of the scores this season. Mac may would’ve had to sit the bench at VCU but he has a shot to get steady PT at Georgetown early in his career.

You know your stuff. March is coming up so we’ll see real soon. I don’t put too much stock into Duke (those kids are ready to declare for the draft), UNC (inconsistent), and UVA who are the best of the bunch but will be beaten like always. Not saying that a BE team will win it all but I believe they will be a tougher out.

I don't trust Duke a ton either, but this year is truly a year of parity. After Villanova and UVA, I don't see any other elite teams. And the Cavs gotta show something in March, they've had some elite teams (the one w Brogdon was super good) but always seem to flame out in the tourney. But I also think that after Nova, I wouldn't be shocked if no BE team made the Sweet 16 (but I also wouldn't be shocked if two made the final four, just depends on who gets hot). Nova came back down to Earth with the injury to Booth, I thought they were head and shoulders above everyone until that.
But as a whole, I feel the BE lags behind in the middle and the back but at the top they're as good as anyone.

I agree that Mac’s SWVA competition is poor and other than the 4-5 out of state schools he hasn’t really played any real defense this season.... but he did play high level AAU and he put on a show at the Adidas Uprising in Vegas. I think he showed there that he can play up to any competition, even though he doesn’t get to regularly.

I don’t know what kid you’re talking about at VCU and he may be great and still not getting playing time because VCU has been a very steady and solid program? It’s a different situation at Georgetown where they have been in the dumps and still are judging by some of the scores this season. Mac may would’ve had to sit the bench at VCU but he has a shot to get steady PT at Georgetown early in his career.
Young man’s name is Tyler Maye. Played at Farmville Central which is located not far from East Carolina University. He may have 10 points for the whole year and will probably transfer. I thank you for the kind words about VCU, but we’re nothing like we were last year. Wish we would’ve went after Mac McClung. He’d look mighty good in black and gold. We need a PG bad!!!!

You're going on the assumption MM is a PG, he is not. He's a two guard on talent but a PG on size. MM doesn't really run an offense, is not a high level distributor and leaves something to be desired on the defensive end .He's quick but not elite PG quick. MM has never played as a true PG, and even successful PGs like Westbrook who operate more like two guards have some experience setting up and running offensive sets regularly. Dean's the PG of that GC team, not MM. For him to success as a PG at the next level, it'll take a lot of work.

We again fundamentally disagree. He's EASILY a point guard at the college level and will be put there because of his ability to go one on one with the defender and elevate and score or dish the ball. His ball handling skills are way, way, way beyond a 2 guards ability, and from the clips ive seen and 3 games online and two in person last year, he dishes the ball very well in the lane when he needs to. Often at this level, he simply hasn't needed to because he scores so easily. The games against the schools from Louisville and Tennessee are perfect examples against very athletic and long defenses. His shot didn't initially fall, and he got to the lane and distributed a bunch. The overwhelming percentage of Ervin and Deen's points come from McClungs ability to penetrate. McClungs quickness is above average. He's not blazing quick, but definitely above average. Ive seen to many times against teams from NC, TN, and Kentucky in which he simply beats his man off the dribble and these defenders were very quick.

Also, the true point guard system in basketball at least below the NBA level is almost done. Basketball has evolved to 2 and 3 guard systems. A true old school 2 guard can now play the one guard if he has handles, but a true 1 guard would/does have issues playing the 2 guard because of height. McClung is a hybrid of a 1 or 2 guard.

Finally, McClung hasn't played much d because he hasn't had to. That's not uncommon for High School heavy scoring offenses. He certainly has the ability to and again, this will serve him well in college because he has the ability to be beat by one step and still contest the shot due to his vertical. Watch and see, he will become a very good on ball defender at Georgetown by his sophomore year. I think the kid is a star. Regarding GCs schedule not be that tough in SWVA with the exception of the 4-5 tough opponents played outside of VA? Well, if a regular season is roughly 20 or so games, that's 25 percent of a schedule that most other Class 2A teams did not play. Factoring that in with the overall schedule, and you have among the toughest schedule of any Class 2A team. The absolute toughest? Maybe not, but is it up there? Yes, it is. Lee, Radford and Graham doesn't play that schedule. With the weekly ins and outs of Dan River and Martinsville playing pretty stiff competition, one could argue theirs is as tough or tougher, but it's close.

I think most schools recruit to specific positions in mind and don’t know about tech as much as Virginia but they are guard heavy and wouldn’t get much playing time first couple years in hoosville

We again fundamentally disagree. He's EASILY a point guard at the college level and will be put there because of his ability to go one on one with the defender and elevate and score or dish the ball. His ball handling skills are way, way, way beyond a 2 guards ability, and from the clips ive seen and 3 games online and two in person last year, he dishes the ball very well in the lane when he needs to. Often at this level, he simply hasn't needed to because he scores so easily. The games against the schools from Louisville and Tennessee are perfect examples against very athletic and long defenses. His shot didn't initially fall, and he got to the lane and distributed a bunch. The overwhelming percentage of Ervin and Deen's points come from McClungs ability to penetrate. McClungs quickness is above average. He's not blazing quick, but definitely above average. Ive seen to many times against teams from NC, TN, and Kentucky in which he simply beats his man off the dribble and these defenders were very quick.

Also, the true point guard system in basketball at least below the NBA level is almost done. Basketball has evolved to 2 and 3 guard systems. A true old school 2 guard can now play the one guard if he has handles, but a true 1 guard would/does have issues playing the 2 guard because of height. McClung is a hybrid of a 1 or 2 guard.

Finally, McClung hasn't played much d because he hasn't had to. That's not uncommon for High School heavy scoring offenses. He certainly has the ability to and again, this will serve him well in college because he has the ability to be beat by one step and still contest the shot due to his vertical. Watch and see, he will become a very good on ball defender at Georgetown by his sophomore year. I think the kid is a star. Regarding GCs schedule not be that tough in SWVA with the exception of the 4-5 tough opponents played outside of VA? Well, if a regular season is roughly 20 or so games, that's 25 percent of a schedule that most other Class 2A teams did not play. Factoring that in with the overall schedule, and you have among the toughest schedule of any Class 2A team. The absolute toughest? Maybe not, but is it up there? Yes, it is. Lee, Radford and Graham doesn't play that schedule. With the weekly ins and outs of Dan River and Martinsville playing pretty stiff competition, one could argue theirs is as tough or tougher, but it's close.

But the kind of passing you speak of is not the same kind of passes expected of most PGs. He makes good passes when he uses his talent to get in the lane and dish it to open teammates. They aren't designed passes meant to initiate a set offense. Someone who watches as much basketball as you do surely understands what I am saying.
What you're saying about the modern evolution of the point guard position is undeniably true. It's not the same as it was 15-20 years ago when guys like Jason Kidd or Gary Payton or Stockton were the templates for a 1 guard. But in the modern game, the PGs that dominate and have success at the next level like a Collin Sexton (6'3) or Trae Young (6'2) are all at least a little taller and possess talent that exceeds even a kid like McClung. And at 6'1, you're gonna be dealing with defenders who have 2-4" of height on you and the same level of quickness and athleticism. Can MM score on great defenders like he will see? We don't know it, that's why we are speculating. Im confident he will never reach those heights that you claim, like being an All American, but he may. I hope he succeeds at the highest level, but I'm not sold it'll happen.
You're knock on the ability of off guards to handle the ball is simply not true, watch some college basketball. Every guard has handles as good or better than MM. You don't succeed at the next level as a guard without ball handling skills. His ball handling is not one of his elite skills, I think you're overstating his skill in that area.

And on the defensive end, using AAU ball as an evaluator of defense is silly lol. AAU ball is notorious for the lack of emphasis on the defensive end. He is quick, I agree, but is he quick enough to stay in front of a high level athlete in the Big East? I'm not sure. His leaping ability is not an issue. He can jump with the best of them. And he does have good instincts, he senses passes and knows the game. He doesn't block a lot of shots but that could be because he wants to stay out of foul trouble, I don't knock him for that.
But I will knock him for the cherry picking. That'll never cut it at the next level. It doesn't happen as much against better teams, but your best player has to be active on the defensive end on every possession. I think at times he wants the highlight dunk and is willing to not get back on defense to have a shot to rock the rim. That's the AAU influence. It's not a conditioning issue and he's quick enough to get back when playing VA 2A teams.

Edit-You didn't mention AAU ball, someone else did .my bad .

If you compare him to someone like Andrew Rowsey who is playing for Marquette now. He' shorter than Mcclung but is averaging almost 20 a game. Scorers can score regardless of their size. Rowsey has really good ball skills and is a great passer as well. He does struggle a bit on the defensive end but was a really good defender in high school. I think having to bulk up to play at that level may be part of it. But I think Mcclung is in the same mold as Rowsey. Only time will tell. I look forward to seeing him at the next level. It' always good to see kids we watch in high school excel.

But the kind of passing you speak of is not the same kind of passes expected of most PGs. He makes good passes when he uses his talent to get in the lane and dish it to open teammates. They aren't designed passes meant to initiate a set offense. Someone who watches as much basketball as you do surely understands what I am saying.
What you're saying about the modern evolution of the point guard position is undeniably true. It's not the same as it was 15-20 years ago when guys like Jason Kidd or Gary Payton or Stockton were the templates for a 1 guard. But in the modern game, the PGs that dominate and have success at the next level like a Collin Sexton (6'3) or Trae Young (6'2) are all at least a little taller and possess talent that exceeds even a kid like McClung. And at 6'1, you're gonna be dealing with defenders who have 2-4" of height on you and the same level of quickness and athleticism. Can MM score on great defenders like he will see? We don't know it, that's why we are speculating. Im confident he will never reach those heights that you claim, like being an All American, but he may. I hope he succeeds at the highest level, but I'm not sold it'll happen.
You're knock on the ability of off guards to handle the ball is simply not true, watch some college basketball. Every guard has handles as good or better than MM. You don't succeed at the next level as a guard without ball handling skills. His ball handling is not one of his elite skills, I think you're overstating his skill in that area.

And on the defensive end, using AAU ball as an evaluator of defense is silly lol. AAU ball is notorious for the lack of emphasis on the defensive end. He is quick, I agree, but is he quick enough to stay in front of a high level athlete in the Big East? I'm not sure. His leaping ability is not an issue. He can jump with the best of them. And he does have good instincts, he senses passes and knows the game. He doesn't block a lot of shots but that could be because he wants to stay out of foul trouble, I don't knock him for that.
But I will knock him for the cherry picking. That'll never cut it at the next level. It doesn't happen as much against better teams, but your best player has to be active on the defensive end on every possession. I think at times he wants the highlight dunk and is willing to not get back on defense to have a shot to rock the rim. That's the AAU influence. It's not a conditioning issue and he's quick enough to get back when playing VA 2A teams.

Edit-You didn't mention AAU ball, someone else did .my bad .

I respect the heck out of your opinion, but just disagree. For one, I am not a huge basketball guru at the High School Level. I follow wrestling much closer largely because of my upbringing-popularity of the sport in my town, and the quality of wrestling vs basketball at my former High School and hometown, but I do watch the college level. I just think McClung is easily able to dish the ball because of his ball handling and quicks and shooting prowess which will cause a problem. I know about the kid from OU and the height issues, but again, the average NCAA point guard is 6'1 and 0.5 inches (6'1.5). The kid from OU is a superstar, but even him.......nowhere close to the level of vertical leap of McClung, and that accounts for 3-4 inches. I put McClungs ball handling skills right up with the best of em at the college level for a kid coming out of High School. I just simply see it a different way. I also think the cherry picking is uncalled for, but that's unfortunately so common for kids at the High School level these days. In college, you have no choice (for 95% of programs) to play defense or you simply don't play. His cherry picking matters little to me. The question is.....what's his ability to play defense? That we will see. I think its excellent. I agree he in fact, may NOT be quick enough to stay in front of a high level athlete in the Big East. He might be as much of defense is brains and anticipation. Ask Poquoson in football. Position is 50% of it. I think Mac has that part covered, but again, his vertical allows him to be beat by a step, yet still having the ability to block a shot.

In summary, I guess we agree some and disagree some. I believe he's starting at Georgetown his sophomore year and is All Conference-Honorable Mention All-American for his senior year. He may never start a game at Georgetown for all I know. I can't tell the future. The jury is out, but based on what I've seen of this kid, and what I've read about his determination level and work ethic, it's very, very difficult to bet against this type of person. Time will tell.

I respect the heck out of your opinion, but just disagree. For one, I am not a huge basketball guru at the High School Level. I follow wrestling much closer largely because of my upbringing-popularity of the sport in my town, and the quality of wrestling vs basketball at my former High School and hometown, but I do watch the college level. I just think McClung is easily able to dish the ball because of his ball handling and quicks and shooting prowess which will cause a problem. I know about the kid from OU and the height issues, but again, the average NCAA point guard is 6'1 and 0.5 inches (6'1.5). The kid from OU is a superstar, but even him.......nowhere close to the level of vertical leap of McClung, and that accounts for 3-4 inches. I put McClungs ball handling skills right up with the best of em at the college level for a kid coming out of High School. I just simply see it a different way. I also think the cherry picking is uncalled for, but that's unfortunately so common for kids at the High School level these days. In college, you have no choice (for 95% of programs) to play defense or you simply don't play. His cherry picking matters little to me. The question is.....what's his ability to play defense? That we will see. I think its excellent. I agree he in fact, may NOT be quick enough to stay in front of a high level athlete in the Big East. He might be as much of defense is brains and anticipation. Ask Poquoson in football. Position is 50% of it. I think Mac has that part covered, but again, his vertical allows him to be beat by a step, yet still having the ability to block a shot.

In summary, I guess we agree some and disagree some. I believe he's starting at Georgetown his sophomore year and is All Conference-Honorable Mention All-American for his senior year. He may never start a game at Georgetown for all I know. I can't tell the future. The jury is out, but based on what I've seen of this kid, and what I've read about his determination level and work ethic, it's very, very difficult to bet against this type of person. Time will tell.

Same here. We disagree but I respect your thought process and opinion.
He can certainly leap higher than Young but Young is an exponentially better shooter and ball handler with insane range that MM doesn't have. MM is a good shooter but not an elite, knock down shooter and that's one of the reasons I'm somewhat bullish on him, as I feel most players his size have to possess a tool that's at an elite level, like shooting, passing, defending or quickness and I'm not sure MM is elite anywhere outside of athleticism which is something most D1 players have in spades.

Still think he's an upgrade over Justin Robinson?

I sure do. Justin Robinson isn’t even better than ODU’s PG, BJ Stith.

Come on... Robinson had 20 tonight to lead our Hokies over the Wahoos in Charlottesville. He was the sole reason VT won, especially with Blackshear going 0-fer from 3 point when Justin kept setting him up perfectly with the pick n roll. Who knows how good Mac will end up being, hopefully nothing short of great but Robinson is getting it done versus the best of the best in the NCAA.

I'm with the crowd and sure wish VT would have jumped on Mac, sure would have drawn the crowds in Cassell Collusium. Just not ready to anoint him all world. The other night I watched Caleb Tanner sitting the bench with Radford Univ and for now he is the all-time leading scorer in the state of Virginia. Not trying to say they are the same players, just pointing out the facts so far.

Reactions: toughy299
Come on... Robinson had 20 tonight to lead our Hokies over the Wahoos in Charlottesville. He was the sole reason VT won, especially with Blackshear going 0-fer from 3 point when Justin kept setting him up perfectly with the pick n roll. Who knows how good Mac will end up being, hopefully nothing short of great but Robinson is getting it done versus the best of the best in the NCAA.

I'm with the crowd and sure wish VT would have jumped on Mac, sure would have drawn the crowds in Cassell Collusium. Just not ready to anoint him all world. The other night I watched Caleb Tanner sitting the bench with Radford Univ and for now he is the all-time leading scorer in the state of Virginia. Not trying to say they are the same players, just pointing out the facts so far.
Good game plan from Buzz Williams. I don’t expect either team to go real far in postseason. The Tanner/McClung comparison is like comparing Kobe to Adam Morrison. Thats why Tanner is at Radford and Mac is going to Georgetown. Apples and oranges.

Reactions: AntGZee

Yeah, I have nothing against McClung either but to say a High School Senior is an upgrade over a probable ALL ACC guard is a bit much at this point.

Reactions: toughy299
Real talk! If BJ had been patient, he’d be a major contributor for UVA this year and next year. It was more of him wanting to play with his father and brother than he wasn’t good enough to play for UVA. Had to sit behind London for 2 years when he could sit 1 year (transfer rule) and get major burn with his family. BJ is more or less a 2 but is an upgrade over Robinson.

There's no way possible to say or think, McClung could be an All ACC guard. EQUALLY IMPORTANT, it's crazy to say or think he automatically could NOT be an All-ACC guard. We can't tell the future and all any of us have is speculation and opinions.

What we do know and what is fact. McClung is headed to Gtown and they seem happy to have him

What we don't know, but will find out.. He may never start a game. He may start as a freshmen and score 30 a game, or he may fall somewhere in between. Time will tell. One last thing we know and is fact based on his performances and numbers are....he's been one of the most prolific High School players VA history. You can love G. City or hate GC or love or hate SWVA or talk about this competition or that, he has STILL been one of the most prolific VA players at the High School Level in its history. I am also rooting for Lee to win the state title and not Gate City, but I don't let that cloud the obvious. The obvious is.....the dude can play and hes been a POSITIVE for VA High School Basketball, Gate City, and SWVA, and that's a good thing. He's inspired not just hundreds, but thousands of youth across multi states with his play and that's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Good luck McClung at the next level, but.........not in the VHSL state tourney.

Reactions: EHC87
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT