ADVERTISEMENT

Giles @ Glenvar

BigHokieFan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Apr 26, 2009
This is going to be good. Last game was 14-16 Glenvar. No offense to anyone else but this could very well be the best 2nd round matchup. Referees played a MAJOR role in lady games outcome. Lol 27 Giles penalties to Glenvars 3. Nevertheless Giles will have their hands full. And Glenvar knows what they are up against. Wru anticipated game for Giles fans. It will be loud.

Yup, a lot of built up frustration from the Giles side after the last meeting. I expect this to be a good ol fashioned slobber knocker next week. I encourage anyone who is thinking about going to the game - to go for sure.

This is going to be good. Last game was 14-16 Glenvar. No offense to anyone else but this could very well be the best 2nd round matchup. Referees played a MAJOR role in lady games outcome. Lol 27 Giles penalties to Glenvars 3. Nevertheless Giles will have their hands full. And Glenvar knows what they are up against. Wru anticipated game for Giles fans. It will be loud.

I know there was only 30 total yards difference in penalties so the 27 to 3 is a joke people...I've pulled some strings and we have the exact same crew officiating this game..just for old times sake.... and of course to drive Giles bat $#^% crazy.

Reactions: kw85
I know there was only 30 total yards difference in penalties so the 27 to 3 is a joke people...I've pulled some strings and we have the exact same crew officiating this game..just for old times sake.... and of course to drive Giles bat $#^% crazy.
I can joke and be serious...but to be serious for one second...I hope for good officiating and a dry field....other than that may the best team win...on the lighter side if intrinsicreward wants to come over to the far 40 we might let him pull the lever to blow the horn...and if our air compressor messes up maybe Mannschild could come over and blow through the air hose for us because we know he's got plenty of hot air...now now...it's all in good fun so calm down...

I can joke and be serious...but to be serious for one second...I hope for good officiating and a dry field....other than that may the best team win...on the lighter side if intrinsicreward wants to come over to the far 40 we might let him pull the lever to blow the horn...and if our air compressor messes up maybe Mannschild could come over and blow through the air hose for us because we know he's got plenty of hot air...now now...it's all in good fun so calm down...
You got to look at the positives for Giles from the first game. Glenvar had 15 days to prepare for Giles. Giles had 4 days to prepare for Glenvar. Yet Giles led pretty much the entire game. Glenvars first and only lead came on the game winning FG with a little over a minute to play. A lot of talk about Glenvar's defense, and they are good, but Giles has a pretty good defense as well. I don't think Ridgeview had a first down in the first half tonight. Probably another low scoring close game.

Appreciate the love Ghs89er

ghr89er. You guys let me do it after a Glenvar score or let me take a baseball bat to it...I'm over there LOL.

Reactions: Mannschild
You got to look at the positives for Giles from the first game. Glenvar had 15 days to prepare for Giles. Giles had 4 days to prepare for Glenvar. Yet Giles led pretty much the entire game. Glenvars first and only lead came on the game winning FG with a little over a minute to play. A lot of talk about Glenvar's defense, and they are good, but Giles has a pretty good defense as well. I don't think Ridgeview had a first down in the first half tonight. Probably another low scoring close game.

OK..good job...good points...there's some positives for Giles to hang their hat on..BUT here's the big huge negative to think about....One of our top players both ways was out last time (he had 3 interceptions tonight). He's playing lights out. don't think you will pass the ball successfully on us this time and that is how you scored the first td. Our role players have really stepped up. I'm sure yours have too. May the best team win and go on and win it all.

Last edited:
Debating on taking the game in Friday then just getting a hotel so we can be on Blacksburg Saturday bright and early

OK..good job...good points...there's some positives for Giles to hang their hat on..BUT here's the big huge negative to think about....One of our top players both ways was out last time (he had 5 interceptions tonight). He's playing lights out. don't think you will pass the ball successfully on us this time and that is how you scored the first td. Our role players have really stepped up. I'm sure yours have too. May the best team win and go on and win it all.
There you go again. Roanoke Times says he had 3 interceptions last night, you say 5. Believe you may have edited your post, I think you had 6 posted last night. Now how many Glenvar starters were out in last years final regular season loss to Giles? Is it up to 8 or 9 now?

Last edited:
None of that matters now....time to give it all...truth is one of these teams will be putting up their pads after next week....if in different brackets or positions both of these teams could possibly be there at the end...I will say the top 6 in 2A could win 3A....would like to see the best teams playing in the end...hope for no injuries. ..good luck to all

Reactions: lovethisgame78
Enjoy the ramblings boys but I don't believe either of these teams are state championship teams. Union or Richland's are a bad matchup for both. As always this is just an opinion. Even if I'm wrong I'll still be in Salem to watch whoever play. Good luck to both.

I'll say this. When these two teams first squared off you could tell that this was no ordinary game. Both teams were an absolute stalemate and was extremely physical. It was no ordinary ballgame. Those two teams are 2 of the best the west has to offer. They were both powerful. This was a championship caliber type of game. Very powerful teams

Haven't got to see Giles this year but if Glenvar has to.meet up with Richland's I don't believe they can matchup athletes. Coaching would be critical in that game.

Lol, are you also praying for a lot of rain this week to soak the field this week or will the sprinklers be on all day friday? I think Giles is the better team but I'm not sure u go to Salem and beat them and I'm not talking home field advantage. How is Manns ankle rewards? I seen in paper he said he was ok and would be playing. I had a family member at Glenver game last night because my nephew plays for VA High. Said he went out in third with ice on ankle. I want both teams healthy with no one out, a dry field, a good crew and let's let the best team advance.

Reactions: Jdphil2
There you go again. Roanoke Times says he had 3 interceptions last night, you say 5. Believe you may have edited your post, I think you had 6 posted last night. Now how many Glenvar starters were out in last years final regular season loss to Giles? Is it up to 8 or 9 now?
Never said 6 on here...I hate puffing especially when it come from me, myself and I so I try to contain myself. I left at halftime and then saw 5 int on facebook and took it for a legit stat. My apologies. I saw 3 int myself...and then there was one called back for roughing the passer and another that I thought was by him but it turned out it was by another player...all that and was before halftime so it seemed extremely plausible/likely he got one after halftime the way VA was throwing the ball up on every play.

As for starters out last year in reg season. I always said 3 but they were 3 key pieces that made a big difference. I know there were more out than that but they were role players. You guys are still in denial and your brains have still not processed it. Glenvar had your number and your number came up in 2014. Look forward to seeing whose number is up this year and may the best team win and the worst team lose and go home with no whiny baby excuses.

Reactions: Region C Fan
I
Haven't got to see Giles this year but if Glenvar has to.meet up with Richland's I don't believe they can matchup athletes. Coaching would be critical in that game.
I truly believe that any of the top six in the west can play with any of the others....you seem to think Richlands and union are so much above the rest...you might be better...but I doubt your that much better...to be honest I would rather play either Richlands or union than the rematch...it's all about match ups....all I'm saying is don't let your passions for your team fool you....the punch that knocks you out is the one you don't see coming....trust me....the top 6 in the west are legit...

Reactions: BCKnights
Lol, are you also praying for a lot of rain this week to soak the field this week or will the sprinklers be on all day friday? I think Giles is the better team but I'm not sure u go to Salem and beat them and I'm not talking home field advantage. How is Manns ankle rewards? I seen in paper he said he was ok and would be playing. I had a family member at Glenver game last night because my nephew plays for VA High. Said he went out in third with ice on ankle. I want both teams healthy with no one out, a dry field, a good crew and let's let the best team advance.

He's been icing a sore ankle for a few weeks but it hasn't slowed him down one bit..and was pulled with a huge lead...what's unusual about that this time of year? Don't get your hopes up on that one. Lets not start pre qualifying our loss by saying that "my team is better but not sure they can win in Salem" stuff. Let's strap them on and best team wins regardless of field (we don't water down fields in these parts winger), weather, officiating, or train whistles. You win and my hat is off to you.... no excuses, no regrets. We win and you don't have to say a word..just don't bring in the nonsense excuses into the conversation. Deal?

Agreed Richland's is not my team just making a legitimate observation after watching Glenvar and Richland's both play. They have a better collection of athletes. But is just my opinion. Anything can happen in the playoffs.

Reactions: Bigrhsfan
None of that matters now....time to give it all...truth is one of these teams will be putting up their pads after next week....if in different brackets or positions both of these teams could possibly be there at the end...I will say the top 6 in 2A could win 3A....would like to see the best teams playing in the end...hope for no injuries. ..good luck to all
I know none of that matters now. I was just trying to point out that Glenvar had pretty much everything in their favor for that game, home field, 4X the prep time, wet field, maybe even a little outside help, and still took everything they had and then some. Maybe the best team won that night, maybe not.

Never said 6 on here...I hate puffing especially when it come from me, myself and I so I try to contain myself. I left at halftime and then saw 5 int on facebook and took it for a legit stat. My apologies. I saw 3 int myself...and then there was one called back for roughing the passer and another that I thought was by him but it turned out it was by another player...all that and was before halftime so it seemed extremely plausible/likely he got one after halftime the way VA was throwing the ball up on every play.

As for starters out last year in reg season. I always said 3 but they were 3 key pieces that made a big difference. I know there were more out than that but they were role players. You guys are still in denial and your brains have still not processed it. Glenvar had your number and your number came up in 2014. Look forward to seeing whose number is up this year and may the best team win and the worst team lose and go home with no whiny baby excuses.
Yeah...to the Victor go the spoils...but let's get real for one second....3 more yrds on 3rd down with about 3 minutes left before half and giles into halftime down 7-0 at worse...now you guys stopped us...had a good drive n scored....and it got crazy for 17 seconds...you had a good defense..you won...but we'll see next Friday...this year's first game was no domination by either team...if you can't admit that you're in denial. ..should be a good game...hope both teams give 100%...

There is no maybe to it the outside help. It was purely outside help. Giles fan or Glenvar fan no matter you know damn well that the officiating was bullshit.

I know none of that matters now. I was just trying to point out that Glenvar had pretty much everything in their favor for that game, home field, 4X the prep time, wet field, maybe even a little outside help, and still took everything they had and then some. Maybe the best team won that night, maybe not.
You do not give Giles enough credit when you say Glenvar had 4X the prep. and that was a big advantage They don't need much prep time since they have perfected their offense. They could run it in their sleep. Banged up maybe from playing prev Monday but doubt the "prep time" made any difference.

Yeah...to the Victor go the spoils...but let's get real for one second....3 more yrds on 3rd down with about 3 minutes left before half and giles into halftime down 7-0 at worse...now you guys stopped us...had a good drive n scored....and it got crazy for 17 seconds...you had a good defense..you won...but we'll see next Friday...this year's first game was no domination by either team...if you can't admit that you're in denial. ..should be a good game...hope both teams give 100%...
Last year was last year. Just pointing out that some (not you) have to keep coming up with excuses if Giles loses. That's why I bring up last year and first game this year. Both teams are pretty even. Will be a great game and a great atmosphere. Get the train whistle tuned up, strap em on and lets see whose better and leave the excuses at home and the woulda couda shouda's out of the conversation.

You do not give Giles enough credit when you say Glenvar had 4X the prep. and that was a big advantage They don't need much prep time since they have perfected their offense. They could run it in their sleep. Banged up maybe from playing prev Monday but doubt the "prep time" made any difference.
I'm thinking more defensive prep time. Everybody would like to have 15 days, a re-match, and have the entire coaching staff get to go scout a Giles game, while prepping for the single-wing

He's been icing a sore ankle for a few weeks but it hasn't slowed him down one bit..and was pulled with a huge lead...what's unusual about that this time of year? Don't get your hopes up on that one. Lets not start pre qualifying our loss by saying that "my team is better but not sure they can win in Salem" stuff. Let's strap them on and best team wins regardless of field (we don't water down fields in these parts winger), weather, officiating, or train whistles. You win and my hat is off to you.... no excuses, no regrets. We win and you don't have to say a word..just don't bring in the nonsense excuses into the conversation. Deal?
Let me say this. U go back to last year's game and see who the first person on this board was to say No excuses Glenver beat Giles in every phase of the game and was the better team today. That would be me. I'll always say that when it needs to be said. Fact is I don't think u or any other Glenver fan want to see Giles again because u know the issues at hand down there several weeks back with a lot of help. Those are the facts, not nonsense and that's why I post them. Sad thing is I'm not sure I'll even get to make the game due to a business trip this week. I'm keeping fingers crossed I can get back in time Friday.

There is no maybe to it the outside help. It was purely outside help. Giles fan or Glenvar fan no matter you know damn well that the officiating was bullshit.
I saw bs calls/no calls on both sides and it doesn't matter. Went to games at Giles for several years and felt my team got hosed by the officiating but now realize it's part of the game and I am looking at it through a biased perspective. Did you buy your rose colored glasses online or at the mall? I got mine at Zenni Optical. 2 for 1 special.

Last edited:
Let me say this. U go back to last year's game and see who the first person on this board was to say No excuses Glenver beat Giles in every phase of the game and was the better team today. That would be me. I'll always say that when it needs to be said. Fact is I don't think u or any other Glenver fan want to see Giles again because u know the issues at hand down there several weeks back with a lot of help. Those are the facts, not nonsense and that's why I post them. Sad thing is I'm not sure I'll even get to make the game due to a business trip this week. I'm keeping fingers crossed I can get back in time Friday.
Hope you can make it back..won't be the same without you there. and to your credit I know you said that. I think you guys are blowing the officiating way out of proportion. I know you realize that in every area of the state you have crews that call/let go some things a little differently than in other parts. I've coached and it doesn't matter what sport..This happens. What matters most is that the crews are consistent and call it both ways. Holding up here in Salem is called differently than down there in Giles for example. They are more touchy/likely to flag on that up here from what I've seen. Since Giles is visiting they should know that and adjust to that. Same thing happens in basketball. Some refs let them play others blow the whistle. Part of the game.

I'm thinking more defensive prep time. Everybody would like to have 15 days, a re-match, and have the entire coaching staff get to go scout a Giles game, while prepping for the single-wing
Now your giving Giles way too much credit. Glenvar does not plan their bye week around Giles schedule and I doubt the others do. Some years it just works out that way. Do you really think all of Giles opponents get together and have a secret meeting to make the logistics work out? Whose kool aid have you been drinking? Thanks for the humor though as I will be laughing all day about this post.

Now your giving Giles way too much credit. Glenvar does not plan their bye week around Giles schedule and I doubt the others do. Some years it just works out that way. Do you really think all of Giles opponents get together and have a secret meeting to make the logistics work out? Whose kool aid have you been drinking? Thanks for the humor though as I will be laughing all day about this post.
Yeah 5 teams having bye weeks the week before playing Giles. I'm sure that was coincidental. Not implying whatsoever that these 5 coaches and AD's got together to plot this out. But if you think some coaches don't tell their AD, when trying to put together a schedule, that if they could have their bye the week before the Giles game, that would be greatly appreciated, then you are quite naïve. Galax for example played Giles in 2013 and 2014, with the bye week before, then kept them on the schedule for 2015 and 2016, with a bye week before the Giles game again. Come on, you're not that dumb.

Reactions: roons-ever1980
Sorry but if your implying mark Dixon nees 2 weeks to prepare for Giles you are drinking some tainted Kool-Aid buddy. He could put up a game plan in one practice and be very competitive with whatever Giles throws at him.

Sorry but if your implying mark Dixon nees 2 weeks to prepare for Giles you are drinking some tainted Kool-Aid buddy. He could put up a game plan in one practice and be very competitive with whatever Giles throws at him.
Yea, that seems to have worked out well for him as of late.

He is in d1 give him a mediocre d2 school and he will elevate to the level of competition. And oh I forgot your running back is at VA Tech too right? And Giles has a running back in each of the last 2 seasons breaking statewide rushing records too? Just as perspective let's combine Galax and Grayson into a medium size d2 school and let Dixon coach them and see how Giles has to gameplan. Both schools together would equal less than 600 9-12. He is quite arguably the best coach in swva.

Better yet just give them Lundy Phillips and our def front 4 and we lay up a fifty burger on anybody they play.

He is in d1 give him a mediocre d2 school and he will elevate to the level of competition. And oh I forgot your running back is at VA Tech too right? And Giles has a running back in each of the last 2 seasons breaking statewide rushing records too? Just as perspective let's combine Galax and Grayson into a medium size d2 school and let Dixon coach them and see how Giles has to gameplan. Both schools together would equal less than 600 9-12. He is quite arguably the best coach in swva.

Most recent enrollment figures I have, grades 10-12:
Galax 397
Grayson 562

Combined 959

That would make for a large-ish 3A team that would get thumped daily in the River Ridge by Salem, PuCo, and PH-Roanoke.

Grades 10-12!?

Just curious here..do VHSL enrollment numbers count 9-12 grade or whatever grades are in the high school?

Has anyone seen the news or read about it in the paper? 2-3 years ago Grayson was the 7th smallest d2 school in the state. And if im not mistaken we have had a 15-20% loss of enrollment each year since. I read that in the paper or heard it on the news will research that more to get true data. Which would mathematically put it at roughly around 400.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT