ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs Region C vs. Maury Region B

Who wins and why?

• Highland Springs

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • Maury

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
Looks like Peyton is gonna be out for Maury. The Duke commit had to be carried off the field today. HSHS seems to be at full strength.

So I just made the long drive back up 95. Yuck. A couple of additional thoughts here:

First, I totally agree about the atmosphere and support from the Springer community surrounding their team. Some of the nicest and genuine fans you will find in a great setting for high school football.

Second, HSHS, (as I already knew) is as good as advertised. The back end of their defense is spectacular and Kristian Martin will make a name for himself on Saturdays in a few years.

Third, this rivalry between Stone Bridge and HSHS has brought out the best in both teams. Playing each other has made them both better programs. There was no quit in Stone Bridge, but this afternoon HSHS was the better team by 5 points. Period.

Finally, for any Springer fans traveling down 64 to ODU next Saturday, if you can spare a few hours, stick around and watch Freedom. They may be in your line-of-sight next year and you can get an early peek at their coaching staff and some of their returning players.

Congrats again and travel safe next week.

So I just made the long drive back up 95. Yuck. A couple of additional thoughts here:

First, I totally agree about the atmosphere and support from the Springer community surrounding their team. Some of the nicest and genuine fans you will find in a great setting for high school football.

Second, HSHS, (as I already knew) is as good as advertised. The back end of their defense is spectacular and Kristian Martin will make a name for himself on Saturdays in a few years.

Third, this rivalry between Stone Bridge and HSHS has brought out the best in both teams. Playing each other has made them both better programs. There was no quit in Stone Bridge, but this afternoon HSHS was the better team by 5 points. Period.

Finally, for any Springer fans traveling down 64 to ODU next Saturday, if you can spare a few hours, stick around and watch Freedom. They may be in your line-of-sight next year and you can get an early peek at their coaching staff and some of their returning players.

Congrats again and travel safe next week.
We scrimmaged them 2 years ago at Randolph Macon college. I remember it ended pretty even. I think opening at Miami Central will prepare HSHS for anything else that comes their way next year.

We scrimmaged them 2 years ago at Randolph Macon college. I remember it ended pretty even. I think opening at Miami Central will prepare HSHS for anything else that comes their way next year.
Miami Central 😳

The good news is you'll get them early in the season before they have a chance to develop any team chemistry with all their transfers.

Reactions: SFUWO
Miami Central gets transfers? That's not good because apparently there is a wall built around Highland Springs and all their players are born and raised within a mile of the high school.
Central's enrollment is about like Varina. Last year, their varsity had at least 19 transfers. They have open enrollment. It's not like anything you'd see in VA.

Last edited:
Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
They are #3 in the country this year with a win over IMG

After watching Maury’s IGNORANT/DISGRACE of a “leader”/set us black folk back 50 years, defensive coordinator get on the internet calling Green Run sorry and saying that their kids sucked.. I hope the Springers beat them by 70. What a disgrace to the education system. Maury’s administration should be ashamed even letting that trash around their kids.

If you only knew. Yesterday we had to go over to the Warwick to attempt to remove an African American man ejected by the officials for repeatedly calling an African American official a "house n-word". Then a Warwick player gets on the Hampton Roads Football Facebook page and says the same thing. I don't get it. Why? @BoKnowsSports the poor discipline and sportsmanship exhibited by some programs need to be addressed with serious consequences. I am fed up with excuses and slaps on the wrist. What are we teaching the kids coming up today? There is no accountability at all.

Miami Central gets transfers? That's not good because apparently there is a wall built around Highland Springs and all their players are born and raised within a mile of the high school.

After watching Maury’s IGNORANT/DISGRACE of a “leader”/set us black folk back 50 years, defensive coordinator get on the internet calling Green Run sorry and saying that their kids sucked.. I hope the Springers beat them by 70. What a disgrace to the education system. Maury’s administration should be ashamed even letting that trash around their kids.
I thought he got fired, He had to be reprimanded 2 years ago when HSHS beat them 2 years ago in the semis. He was on the internet going back and forth with the HSHS players in 2020 until the coaches stepped in and checked him. Their Defensive coordinator has some serious mental health issues.

I thought he got fired, He had to be reprimanded 2 years ago when HSHS beat them 2 years ago in the semis. He was on the internet going back and forth with the HSHS players in 2020 until the coaches stepped in and checked him. Their Defensive coordinator has some serious mental health issues.
He’s a disgrace. Maury’s administration clearly lacks leadership to let their trash near the kids.

If you only knew. Yesterday we had to go over to the Warwick to attempt to remove an African American man ejected by the officials for repeatedly calling an African American official a "house n-word". Then a Warwick player gets on the Hampton Roads Football Facebook page and says the same thing. I don't get it. Why? @BoKnowsSports the poor discipline and sportsmanship exhibited by some programs need to be addressed with serious consequences. I am fed up with excuses and slaps on the wrist. What are we teaching the kids coming up today? There is no accountability at all.
Same thing I dealt with at my former school brother. I can tell write a book. You work hard to mold these kids into productive citizens, hold them accountable and the top lets them do whatever and allows trash off the street (coaches) to work with these impressionable young men. It’s a shame. It’s a damn shame. I know you’ve seen it in your expertise for years but it’s just heartbreaking.

Last edited:
When they told me that was being said after the game all I could do was shake my head. That’s just sad

They’ve been trash talking teams for years so the administration is part of the problem

Our kids are sadly being led by a bunch of clowns. This guy has the n-word and profanity all over his page. It’s disgusting.
Totally agree. It's hard for a village to raise a child when the village is full of idiots. Although I have been trained and try hard to understand the African American culture, I just can't fathom why another black man would use such a derogatory slavery/plantation term to go after another black man. Especially in front of teenagers. Their damn coaches were right there and didn't say a word. Then when we approach the man he ran like a coward. I felt horrible for the referee and told him to keep his head up, because he was the better man. He thanked me and smiled, but I could see the hurt in his eyes. Don't know the official, but he now has an admirer.

Last edited:
Well let me say something about this game. Highland Springs won a very hard fought game this past week which will serve them well in the State Championship. One we know both teams have talented athletes and skill players. The difference in this game will be in the trenches. The Springers controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball against Stone Bridge and will certainly do so in the finals. I think Coach Johnson will ram the ball right down the Commodores throat until they prove they can stop it. The power game will set up play action and the Springers receivers will double move Maury to death. I just don't see the Highland Springs defense giving up much to a team that they match up so well against. This will not be close 28-0 HSHS.

Well let me say something about this game. Highland Springs won a very hard fought game this past week which will serve them well in the State Championship. One we know both teams have talented athletes and skill players. The difference in this game will be in the trenches. The Springers controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball against Stone Bridge and will certainly do so in the finals. I think Coach Johnson will ram the ball right down the Commodores throat until they prove they can stop it. The power game will set up play action and the Springers receivers will double move Maury to death. I just don't see the Highland Springs defense giving up much to a team that they match up so well against. This will not be close 28-0 HSHS.
I've been away from my computer and my cell phone for much of today. I hadn't heard about this happening with Warwick... then this trash going on within the Maury program. HS has butted heads with trash talk with Maury players, but HS showed them the door every time we've played them. But what I'm hearing here really is disturbing. I hope somebody gets it to and all over the School Principal and the Board of Education! That needs to stop immediately!!!!! Stone Bridge has been the toughest team we've played in all of the 6 years we've met. This year was no different. They were tougher than Chambers and Martinsburg! They get all of my respect!!! The past 2 times we played Maury was 2020 (13-0 win) and 2018 (71-28 win). This year will be the same, I predict! They trash mouthed us at Varina HS in 2018. It was close in the 1st half 21 -24 HS (I think, could be wrong, but was close) then we dropped 47 on the in the 2nd half. Yesterday felt like the Championship game at Highland Springs HS.

Last edited:
They’ve been trash talking teams for years so the administration is part of the problem
What I saw looked pretty tame. Trash talk. Everyone's tough until they take an L. You can say whatever you want, but the scoreboard speaks for itself 🤷‍♂️

The speed and cadence of Maury will Sail On past the Highland Springs defense. I believe the Commodores defense will Zoom to the ball disrupting the Springers timing. Finally, the Commodores are a Brick House of team with their only loss coming against an undefeated North Carolina state champion by 7 points. The Springers seemingly did not have an Easy time with another North Carolina team that finished with 3 losses and were eliminated from playoff contention. Still, the game must be played. Puns were unintentional. Final score Maury 28 Highland Springs 17.

If there are high schools named for slave owners in Virginia why hold anyone else to a higher standard than the administrators have set for themselves? This has been a point of contention in Virginia for decades. You don’t want certain words said but you want to honor and celebrate slave owners? Is that not the definition of hypocrisy…Varina? You will never see an end to ignorance until the source of the ignorance is eliminated!I tried to make this point nearly 20 years ago and was met with excuses. Lame excuses. Do not attempt to expect more from someone else when all of the leaders are rolling in mud. It is pointless.

The speed and cadence of Maury will Sail On past the Highland Springs defense. I believe the Commodores defense will Zoom to the ball disrupting the Springers timing. Finally, the Commodores are a Brick House of team with their only loss coming against an undefeated North Carolina state champion by 7 points. The Springers seemingly did not have an Easy time with another North Carolina team that finished with 3 losses and were eliminated from playoff contention. Still, the game must be played. Puns were unintentional. Final score Maury 28 Highland Springs 17.
New Bern won the East regional. State championship is Friday night. Last title was 2014 😉

I think Highland Springs wins because Maury lost a good player this weekend to injuries and every team needs all their players.

I have a very hard time agreeing with this assessment 🥴

Well, I think one of the best things about discussion is unique, varied viewpoints. Now if we were trying to bake a chocolate cake we would need to agree to at some point to add some form of chocolate. With football games you are free to disagree. 😁
You will never see an end to ignorance until the source of the ignorance is eliminated! You are correct about this 1 statement right here. So keep on talking the ignorance. The wrath is coming!
God doesn't like UGLY! He'll take care of it! This will be HS's 5th State Title win in 8 years! Wait and see!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT