ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs will host Martinsburg

Who will win?

• Martinsburg WV

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Highland Springs

Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters
Don’t know the kid’s name at Freeman (he was just an 8th grader) but he’s the next big thing in Richmond. Probably 5’11 200, played Linebacker. He’s a man amongst boys. I am glad to see other Henrico teams be successful other than the arrogant and brash Springers. I’m still shaking my head that they were allowed by their staff to guarantee a state championship win. Was so glad to see Stone Bridge humble them and the player who guaranteed the win was the one who was scored on to lose the game. Humility is everything.
Guess what Realtalk, you said something that I agree with! " I’m still shaking my head that they were allowed by their staff to guarantee a state championship win. " I was shaking my head when I heard Harmon say that too and said to myself, why on God's green earth did the staff let that go!!! The Stone Bridge game. We were without our best QB (Nasir) due to injury, but Stone Bridge played a great game and that last play was the play of the year as far as I'm concerned. I tip my hat to the Bulldogs and I am happy that they got that elusive State Title. They earned it! That SB team was the best team they've had in a long time.

Don’t know the kid’s name at Freeman (he was just an 8th grader) but he’s the next big thing in Richmond. Probably 5’11 200, played Linebacker. He’s a man amongst boys. I am glad to see other Henrico teams be successful other than the arrogant and brash Springers. I’m still shaking my head that they were allowed by their staff to guarantee a state championship win. Was so glad to see Stone Bridge humble them and the player who guaranteed the win was the one who was scored on to lose the game. Humility is everything.
The kid that was scored on is at Oklahoma now. That’s the only TD he gave up in his high school career. He was a 4-star,but even the greats have given up one. He has 2 rings from his freshman and Sophomore years on Varsity. He’ll be in the league in 3 yrs if he stays healthy. I congratulate SB,but it took a miracle play to beat him. That “arrogance” has led him to his future! If a DB isn’t cocky,he isn’t very good.

HS wants cocky,confident DBs,or they don’t see the field. It helps having a head coach and defensive coordinator who were both DBs in college. 5 weeks!

Guess what Realtalk, you said something that I agree with! " I’m still shaking my head that they were allowed by their staff to guarantee a state championship win. " I was shaking my head when I heard Harmon say that too and said to myself, why on God's green earth did the staff let that go!!! The Stone Bridge game. We were without our best QB (Nasir) due to injury, but Stone Bridge played a great game and that last play was the play of the year as far as I'm concerned. I tip my hat to the Bulldogs and I am happy that they got that elusive State Title. They earned it! That SB team was the best team they've had in a long time.
Springers have put Quince Orchard,MD on the schedule for 2023 season. They are from the DMV area.and won the 4A state title in 2018. They are one of 3 DMV teams that have requested a game with HSHS. The other 2 are Wise and Northwest

The kid that was scored on is at Oklahoma now. That’s the only TD he gave up in his high school career. He was a 4-star,but even the greats have given up one. He has 2 rings from his freshman and Sophomore years on Varsity. He’ll be in the league in 3 yrs if he stays healthy. I congratulate SB,but it took a miracle play to beat him. That “arrogance” has led him to his future! If a DB isn’t cocky,he isn’t very good.

HS wants cocky,confident DBs,or they don’t see the field. It helps having a head coach and defensive coordinator who were both DBs in college. 5 weeks!

lolol can you imagine Saban at Alabama, who cut his teeth coaching DBs and on the defensive side of the ball, being okay with his star CB guaranteeing a win? He would go ballistic. Having a short memory is needed for a DB, having deep belief in yourself as well. But there's a a difference between confident and arrogant. Good for the HS coaches, they can run the program however they want. But when you look at the top coaches in the sport at the highest levels, they'd NEVER encourage a player to guarantee anything or try to show up another player.

Beating Page since Gillespie left is like beating your chest that you beat Henrico. Grimsley and Dudley is a different story in Greensboro.
HS faced the Chambers coach when he was At IRiver and had a 5-star MLB.
lolol can you imagine Saban at Alabama, who cut his teeth coaching DBs and on the defensive side of the ball, being okay with his star CB guaranteeing a win? He would go ballistic. Having a short memory is needed for a DB, having deep belief in yourself as well. But there's a a difference between confident and arrogant. Good for the HS coaches, they can run the program however they want. But when you look at the top coaches in the sport at the highest levels, they'd NEVER encourage a player to guarantee anything or try to show up another player.
what world you living in? Players do it all the time. It’s called trash talking!

He may be at Oklahoma but guess what? It’s 7-10 others on that roster at DB that’s just as good or better. It can all be over in a blink of an eye because of ignorance of the tongue and actions. Ask Mr. Jalon Jones from Henrico or the countless other talents who wasted it because they had no humility or character. Don’t believe the arrogance of the HS Springers ? Watch this.. It’s cool to show up and bad mouth opponents? Say they suck? Talk trash? I’m disappointed in you Marine @HooSprings. You know better than that. Looks to me more humility needs to be taught in that program. Judge for yourself.

Want to see how a real program is run? Go watch a Dave Bedwell team or the Salem Spartans play. They’ll just show up, pound you for 48 minutes and tell you good game after. None of that ignorance and trash talk shit does anything but set you up for failure in the long run.

HS faced the Chambers coach when he was At IRiver and had a 5-star MLB.

what world you living in? Players do it all the time. It’s called trash talking!
Lolol I live in the real world. If it's so prevalent and accepted, show me all these star DBs guaranteeing wins in important, title type games. I'll wait. I'm an Alabama fan and a big SEC guy. I sure as shit don't remember Marlon Humphrey, Patrick Surtain II, Patrick Peterson, Dee Millner, Derek Stingley, etc... coming out and guaranteeing wins.

Reactions: Realtalk78
I'm not against coming out and enjoying playing the game whatsoever. But the intent shouldn't be to show up other people, it's to encourage your team and be excited for them, not denigrate others. That's just a general thought not towards any team. But my point was about guaranteeing wins. That's just not something you do, and if you do lose because you gave up the TD that lost the game, it's a bad bad look. That's all.

Springers have put Quince Orchard,MD on the schedule for 2023 season. They are from the DMV area.and won the 4A state title in 2018. They are one of 3 DMV teams that have requested a game with HSHS. The other 2 are Wise and Northwest
Those would be great matchups. All three are consistently at the top of their division in MD and QO and NW play each other every year, often again in the playoffs when a trip to the semis or final is on the line. Wise is another consistent performer with multiple state championships. It is good seeing the interstate matchups like these.

Jefferson Meade if I’m not mistaken.

I had to learn this too but many of the HS fans are the ones who talk brash and about accolades. Many of the Springer players are humble and hungry to get a free education.

Do they let the private schools play with public schools in VA?
Yes….privates & publics play all the time,but it doesn’t affect either one as far a the playoffs are concerned. No one will play LIFE CHRISTIAN because of their “recruiting tactics” and lack of academic structure. No one will schedule Oak Hill Academy for bball either.

Yes….privates & publics play all the time,but it doesn’t affect either one as far a the playoffs are concerned. No one will play LIFE CHRISTIAN because of their “recruiting tactics” and lack of academic structure. No one will schedule Oak Hill Academy for bball either.
Not true for Oak Hill. You realize that Oak Hill has more say so than their opponents as to who they play. Oak Hill playing at your gym is guaranteed exposure and money. They used to play local teams all of the time but they make their money playing in showcases.

Not true for Oak Hill. You realize that Oak Hill has more say so than their opponents as to who they play. Oak Hill playing at your gym is guaranteed exposure and money. They used to play local teams all of the time but they make their money playing in showcases.
Oak Hill allows 5th yr seniors that reclassify,which is not allowed at any other level in VA. IMO….that shouldn’t be allowed at all.

Oak Hill allows 5th yr seniors that reclassify,which is not allowed at any other level in VA. IMO….that shouldn’t be allowed at all.
>95% of your guys playing at Oak Hill aren’t reclassifying. The ones who do, probably aren’t your high major recruits and are the 8-10 man off the bench. You do know that those guys have a small window to perform before the next best player comes along so reclassifying may not be the smartest option. Minutes are factors at elite programs like DeMatha, Oak Hill, Huntington Prep, Montverde, etc. Next tier programs like Combine Prep, Moravian Prep and then traditional prep schools like Benedictine, Trinity, Greensboro Day, Quality Education, Life Christian are where you see the 5th years. Of course you also have the Post Grad programs like Hargrave, Fork Union.

Oak Hill has something like a 'B' team too don't they? Kinda like IMG. I could be wrong as I'm not as familiar with the basketball side of things. I do remember them playing Cave Spring back in the day in a showcase, now that I think about it. Roanoke Catholic played Cave Spring as well. Those were some highly anticipated games.

There are a couple in NC, like Charlotte Catholic, that garner similar criticism. They actually have a solid reputation with regards to academics. But I believe they're playing with the big boys this year, unless things change. I think it's something that might be up for debate.

Oak Hill has something like a 'B' team too don't they? Kinda like IMG. I could be wrong as I'm not as familiar with the basketball side of things. I do remember them playing Cave Spring back in the day in a showcase, now that I think about it. Roanoke Catholic played Cave Spring as well. Those were some highly anticipated games.
The B team is called the Red team. Players on this squad are typically D2 or D3 college prospects. Gold team is for the best players.

The B team is called the Red team. Players on this squad are typically D2 or D3 college prospects. Gold team is for the best players.
The Red Team normally plays Floyd County, Carroll, Christiansburg, etc. The Gold Team used to play at least one game in the Roanoke area yearly, They played Franklin County almost yearly when I was growing up and made a few trips to Danville. I’ve seen Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Ty Lawson, Nolan Smith, Brandon Jennings, Carmelo Anthony.. All play at either Franklin County High School or the Grant Center (Averett University). They play Hargrave’s Post Grad team yearly too (Games used to be in Roanoke and Danville but they’ve moved them to the NC Mountains). Sadly, our area just doesn’t have the talent to be serious threats to Oak Hill. The last team that possibly could’ve gave them a game was Northside a few years back and possibly even Radford.

Charlotte is fairly transient. There are a lot of people coming and going. Mostly moving in these days. Probably something like 70 or 80 high schools in Mecklenburg County. So, the recruiting that goes on is just part of it. Power shifts about every few years. It usually gets overlooked.

I don't think there's a huge difference between the top VA and NC teams. I know there's a ton of talent in 804 and 757. Maybe a few more teams in NC overall simply because we have more people. This year we have fewer classifications. So, some of the ones that might not be favored will still be a tough out.

I admittedly don't know a lot about Martinsburg, other than they've won a lot of games, or the DC schools. In general, I feel like the farther south you go, the more "competitive" things get. We have some interesting scrimmages this year: Mallard Creek at Byrnes, Cardinal Gibbons vs Dutch Fork, and Chambers vs Spartanburg. I expect the SC teams win them all. Maybe just two. And there will be one or two from SC not named Dutch Fork that struggle a bit against a GA 7A school.

Be that as it may, good to see the games on the schedule. Salem, HS, Maury, Oscar Smith, off the top of my head, with some big games.

Last edited:
The Red Team normally plays Floyd County, Carroll, Christiansburg, etc. The Gold Team used to play at least one game in the Roanoke area yearly, They played Franklin County almost yearly when I was growing up and made a few trips to Danville. I’ve seen Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Ty Lawson, Nolan Smith, Brandon Jennings, Carmelo Anthony.. All play at either Franklin County High School or the Grant Center (Averett University). They play Hargrave’s Post Grad team yearly too (Games used to be in Roanoke and Danville but they’ve moved them to the NC Mountains). Sadly, our area just doesn’t have the talent to be serious threats to Oak Hill. The last team that possibly could’ve gave them a game was Northside a few years back and possibly even Radford.

Redick vs Oak Hill. Wasn't pretty lol. Roanoke Valley has had some good teams though. Catholic was pretty good during that time. But, yeah, not many period on Oak Hill's level.

Last edited:
Redick vs Oak Hill. Wasn't pretty lol. Roanoke Valley has had some good teams though. Catholic was pretty good during that time. But, yeah, not many period on Oak Hill's level.
The Roanoke Valley ALWAYS has some solid basketball teams. The 2008, & 2009 William Fleming teams were something special to watch and that 2010 PH team was special. I know Fleming played OH during Troy Daniels senior year in 09. My Danville boys used to field elite basketball teams and the 2007 squad actually competed with the #1 nationally ranked Oak Hill Warriors for 3 quarters. GW lost in the state championship that year (to guess who @HooSprings?? Highland Springs 😂) and had they had a guard to defend Brandon Jennings (he was the #1 player in the nation) and Jay Threatt at Highland Springs , they would’ve been in better position to win.

Charlotte is fairly transient. There are a lot of people coming and going. Mostly moving in these days. Probably something like 70 or 80 high schools in Mecklenburg County. So, the recruiting that goes on is just part of it. Power shifts about every few years. It usually gets overlooked.

I don't think there's a huge difference between the top VA and NC teams. I know there's a ton of talent in 804 and 757. Maybe a few more teams in NC overall simply because we have more people. This year we have fewer classifications. So, some of the ones that might not be favored will still be a tough out.

I admittedly don't know a lot about Martinsburg, other than they've won a lot of games, or the DC schools. In general, I feel like the farther south you go, the more "competitive" things get. We have some interesting scrimmages this year: Mallard Creek at Byrnes, Cardinal Gibbons vs Dutch Fork, and Chambers vs Spartanburg. I expect the SC teams win them all. Maybe just two. And there will be one or two from SC not named Dutch Fork that struggle a bit against a GA 7A school.

Be that as it may, good to see the games on the schedule. Salem, HS, Maury, Oscar Smith, off the top of my head, with some big games.
We had a guy on the 4A boards downplaying just how good SC Football is, just a few months ago. Said Spartansburg was an AVG program… I agree, the further south you get, the better. The Salem Spartans, Highland Springs, Oscar Smith, all could give those teams a good game down that way.

I remember Highland Springs either beat or almost beat Oak Hill at Siegel Center at the Times Dispatch Tourney when Andre Ingram led team won states. Like 03 maybe, can’t remember.

Reactions: springer76
This is probably the best QB they faced last year (beat them in the playoffs) and the best one they'll face this year:

He's a composite 4-star, ranked 175th overall and the 14th best QB in the country.

Committed to North Carolina last night. Sam Howell, Drake Maye and Tad Hudson. All from within a 50 mile radius.

We had a guy on the 4A boards downplaying just how good SC Football is, just a few months ago. Said Spartansburg was an AVG program… I agree, the further south you get, the better. The Salem Spartans, Highland Springs, Oscar Smith, all could give those teams a good game down that way.

Not sure about Spartanburg. Byrnes is pretty good. Dutch Fork has won five straight state championships - 50 something games without a loss. Tommy Knotts is one of the best. They have some really good teams down there..

Not sure about Spartanburg. Byrnes is pretty good. Dutch Fork has won five straight state championships - 50 something games without a loss. Tommy Knotts is one of the best. They have some really good teams down there..
I’m hip. I went to the Mallard Creek/Dutch Fork disaster a few years ago at Memorial Stadium. Lightening cancelled it at 12am. Drove from Richmond to Charlotte to watch it that night.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I’m hip. I went to the Mallard Creek/Dutch Fork disaster a few years ago at Memorial Stadium. Lightening cancelled it at 12am. Drove from Richmond to Charlotte to watch it that night.

Good game. Shame it couldn't be finished. Mallard Creek could've put that one away. They had their chance. I think Chambers was supposed to play them last year. That one got wiped out by Covid.

Good game. Shame it couldn't be finished. Mallard Creek could've put that one away. They had their chance. I think Chambers was supposed to play them last year. That one got wiped out by Covid.
Who’s gonna play QB for Chambers this week? I read that Bubba Camp was ejected to start the 2nd half vs Cardinal,and I’m being told he has to sit out this week.

• Wow
Reactions: springer76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT