ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa running the I

LionNation540

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 13, 2019
Louisa ran a couple of plays out of the traditional I formation against Courtland, and last night against Orange. What I don't understand is why they're doing this, and opening up the playbook, against weaker teams, but it's nowhere to be seen against good teams. This is a consistent yearly pattern now. I've thought for years that they have the perfect personnel to run the I as a primary offense and maul teams with it.

#7 Wilson is the perfect QB for it. He can pocket pass, escape the pocket, run bootlegs, option, etc.

#40 Coach Fischer's son Troy, #97 Spellman, and #6 Coleman are perfect fullbacks. Spellman was used there last night. Coleman can also play tailback or QB, he's a mini Malik Bell.

#12 Smith can be used at tailback or pretty much anywhere.

#8 Bundrick and #18 Dean can be TEs. Both are big, strong, physical, and have good hands.

Run some power out of this, throw in some counters, playaction passes, BOOM, one touchdown after another. Easy. And it opens up everything else they like to run.

Sometimes it's cool to keep it simple for a change.

I can only imagine what these kids would be doing if they played for Salem.

Last edited:
Decided to take a trip out to central Va agian last night to watch LC and Orange. While LC once agian thumped my Cougars earlier in the season, In my own, I guess selfish desicion, Other than #7 and #12 I just dont see that dominant team of multiple past years. We will see what they do agianst Western A. KG a team I truly miss quoted as far as how good/bad they would be this year exsposed LC and thier weakness. LC has some beef especially on D. I think they will drop a close game to Western and Albemarle will be a fight. Blast me if you want, probably may deserve it?? But is there a future decline headed thier way? IF not for 3-4 turnovers by Orange, one in the endzone when they were on 10 yard line and a cool QB flee flicker for TD by LC, this was a one score game that Orange could have or at least had a chance to win. The Orange D is suspect at best, several injuries and a few two way guys. The Orange O is good, #10 RB is a freshman and gave LC fits on kick offs and several runs. Orange is full of Sophs and juniors and also has 5 freshman on varsity, they only lose the Qb, a lineman and one receiver for 2022.

Orange is such a big disappointment year after year. A high ceiling wasted. They literally look like a DI college team almost every year, and never play like it. If they had a defense, they would've beaten Louisa, maybe handily. With the makeup of their team, they should be beating teams 45-7 every year. I don't know what the fix would be at this point. I doubt Nick Saban could get them to play to their potential.

Louisa has talent, not like the last few years, but it's there. It's just barely used on offense consistently. You have a Mack truck on the D line getting looks from P5 teams like VT and UNC, and when you rarely do put him on offense, you use him for a trick play and throw him the ball? Really? Spellman would be crushing teams at fullback.

The Lions must find a way to keep the load off of Smith offensively if they want to beat a non-JD team in the Region D playoffs. It's too full of coaches who have "been there" before, and know how to manage a close game.

Last edited:
Wasn't #97 Spellman? He caught the should have been intercepted qb scramble for days pass for TD, bet he felt good fir a big ol' lineman.

Ok Louisa may not have the talent from past teams but they handled wa in a dominating game tonight. If not for the MANY penalties tonight against Louisa this could have been 35 or more points go lions

We still did things that could cost us the game against better teams, though, like going for it on 4th and 8 at midfield and failing, when we could've pinned WA inside their 20 instead. Stuff like that is why we nearly lost to Ponax in 2019, and it took a blocked field goal to win. That's not going to change anytime soon.

We also ran like 4 plays out of the I again, had success, then of course got away from it, again. At least WA wore down later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT