ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa's Achilles heel in playoff losses

LionNation540

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 13, 2019
I just want to go ahead and pull a racindan and get this out of my head. I posted this in the PH thread:
IMO, Louisa has now had 5 teams that were capable of winning it all, 2006, 2010, '17, '18, '19, and they couldn't get it done. To me, there's a glaring reason why...
What I was alluding to are lack of good in-game defensive adjustments, which IMO has been the common theme in most, if not all, of those teams' playoff defeats. To put it bluntly, our defense has gotten schooled by other (more experienced) coaching staffs. PH's coach completely took us to school. We have failed to make good in-game, on-the-fly, defensive adjustments, and it has become more obvious to me the more I've watched teams like Highland Springs live. I hoped that the 2017 Salem game showed us that running a pass-stopping defense against a good run-heavy offense just won't work, because it'll get exposed. Amherst exposed it in 2006, Hanover exposed it in 2015, Salem exposed it in 2017, Massaponax exposed it despite our win, and PH exposed it blatantly with their 3-yards a pop plays, and the entire 3rd quarter. Why Louisa has never even attempted to switch their defense to 4 down linemen in any of those games, and see what happens, is beyond me. I watched Highland Springs switch to different fronts on the fly all game against Manchester and Varina. Also, look at this:

Full-Size-R1.jpg

Look at the gap in PH's O line, and how we are lined up against it. PH exploited that gap relentlessly. We made it easy for them. On PH's final drive, they walked down the field running the same 3 plays. We knew how elusive Sikkar the QB is, and knew he's not a good passer, so we naturally....play our LBs 5-10 yards off the line and give him miles of space to take off and run. We also stayed in our man defense and kept giving them the open flats. Why that wasn't changed after the first 2 times PH attacked the flats for 6+ yard gains is beyond me.

2006 against Amherst: 3-5 defense against Amherst's triple option out of the Power I got exposed all game.
2010 against Broad Run: blitzing cover 0 pass defense got outrageously exposed for 32 points in the first half, no adjustments until halftime.
2015 against Hanover: 3-4 defense got exposed against their run-heavy option offense.
2017 against Salem: 3-4/3-5 defense exposed against the I formation. Coach Fischer regretted after the game his lack of adjustments.
2019 against Massaponax: same as the Amherst game, but good job against the QB.

I know this will just look like sour grapes, and again it's my opinion as just a fan, and I already know the potential comebacks at me, but it's something that has bugged the Louisa fans that pay good attention for a long time now. We have had as much talent as any team around in the years I mentioned, but with each loss it becomes clearer to me that we aren't going to win a state title until we become more flexible defensively and improve at making adjustments and countering good offenses on the fly. That's especially important against rushing offenses that are smart enough to keep running it until you show you can stop it, not the teams that will get away from it for the sake of "mixing things up". I would feel much better about the losses if we could say with certainty that we tried everything possible to counter the offenses, but it's hard to get over it when it's obvious that wasn't the case. It also saddens me to not see our best athletes get the ball much more often than they do, like Noah Robinson. He barely touched the ball against PH, but whenever he touches the ball, good things seem to automatically happen. See everyone next year, maybe.

Last edited:
I just want to go ahead and pull a racindan and get this out of my head. I posted this in the PH thread:
What I was alluding to are lack of good in-game defensive adjustments, which IMO has been the common theme in most, if not all, of those teams' playoff defeats. To put it bluntly, our defense has gotten schooled by other (more experienced) coaching staffs. PH's coach completely took us to school. We have failed to make good in-game, on-the-fly, defensive adjustments, and it has become more obvious to me the more I've watched teams like Highland Springs live. I hoped that the 2017 Salem game showed us that running a pass-stopping defense against a good run-heavy offense just won't work, because it'll get exposed. Amherst exposed it in 2006, Hanover exposed it in 2015, Salem exposed it in 2017, Massaponax exposed it despite our win, and PH exposed it blatantly with their 3-yards a pop plays, and the entire 3rd quarter. Why Louisa has never even attempted to switch their defense to 4 down linemen in any of those games, and see what happens, is beyond me. I watched Highland Springs switch to different fronts on the fly all game against Manchester and Varina. Also, look at this:

Full-Size-R1.jpg

Look at the gap in PH's O line, and how we are lined up against it. PH exploited that gap relentlessly. We made it easy for them. On PH's final drive, they walked down the field running the same 3 plays. We knew how elusive Sikkar the QB is, and knew he's not a good passer, so we naturally....play our LBs 5-10 yards off the line and give him miles of space to take off and run. We also stayed in our man defense and kept giving them the open flats. Why that wasn't changed after the first 2 times PH attacked the flats for 6+ yard gains is beyond me.

2006 against Amherst: 3-5 defense against Amherst's triple option out of the Power I got exposed all game.
2010 against Broad Run: blitzing cover 0 pass defense got outrageously exposed for 32 points in the first half, no adjustments until halftime.
2015 against Hanover: 3-4 defense got exposed against their run-heavy option offense.
2017 against Salem: 3-4/3-5 defense exposed against the I formation. Coach Fischer regretted after the game his lack of adjustments.

I know this will just look like sour grapes, and again it's my opinion as just a fan, and I already know the potential comebacks at me, but it's something that has bugged the Louisa fans that pay good attention for a long time now. We have had as much talent as any team around in the years I mentioned, but with each loss it becomes clearer to me that we aren't going to win a state title until we become more flexible defensively and improve at making adjustments and countering good offenses on the fly. That's especially important against rushing offenses that are smart enough to keep running it until you show you can stop it, not the teams that will get away from it for the sake of "mixing things up". I would feel much better about the losses if we could say with certainty that we tried everything possible to counter the offenses, but it's hard to get over it when it's obvious that wasn't the case. It also saddens me to not see our best athletes get the ball much more often than they do, like Noah Robinson. He barely touched the ball against PH, but whenever he touches the ball, good things seem to automatically happen. See everyone next year, maybe.
How many players go both ways for Louisa?

The coaching was bad and it makes my sick to think about this game because Louisa has the players on the field to stop ph . Coaching was a key to that game ph did what they want and kept running the same play and Louisa couldn’t stop it. Louisa have 9 ppl on defense that literally may have d1 offers and u tell me u couldn’t coach those kids to stop the run, massaponex offense was way better then ph, and Louisa didn’t make no adjustments at all the is was the year Louisa had a chance for state, I hate to say it but next year no way there get close ,

Full-Size-R1.jpg

Same coach or a different one from the 1st one?

Full-Size-R1.jpg

Full-Size-R1.jpg

The coaching was bad and it makes my sick to think about this game because Louisa has the players on the field to stop ph . Coaching was a key to that game ph did what they want and kept running the same play and Louisa couldn’t stop it. Louisa have 9 ppl on defense that literally may have d1 offers and u tell me u couldn’t coach those kids to stop the run, massaponex offense was way better then ph, and Louisa didn’t make no adjustments at all the is was the year Louisa had a chance for state, I hate to say it but next year no way there get close ,
Also, Brandon Smith covered up a lot of our scheme weaknesses the last 3 seasons. And I agree, this was our last chance for a title, at least for the foreseeable future. We have more talent coming up, but not Malik Bell, Brandon Smith or Jarett Hunter level talent, and probably won't have as cohesive of a team anytime soon. It sucks, but that's life.

Reactions: Senex and Va434

Full-Size-R1.jpg

you certainly have a right to voice your opinion... no one could ever accuse you of not being a loyal fan. I agree with much of what you have outlined but obviously I am not an expert on Louisa football. You did have the talent to win a state title certainly the last 3 years in a row since I have been paying close attention. I think the 2017 Louisa team was the best Louisa team I have seen. In an absolutely loaded class 4 field. Winning a state title is hard though. Lot’s to be proud of with your program. Your program is in good health and will be in contention most years moving forward. Hang in there and realize your not the only one that isn’t winning them!

you certainly have a right to voice your opinion... no one could ever accuse you of not being a loyal fan. I agree with much of what you have outlined but obviously I am not an expert on Louisa football. You did have the talent to win a state title certainly the last 3 years in a row since I have been paying close attention. I think the 2017 Louisa team was the best Louisa team I have seen. In an absolutely loaded class 4 field. Winning a state title is hard though. Lot’s to be proud of with your program. Your program is in good health and will be in contention most years moving forward. Hang in there and realize your not the only one that isn’t winning them!
You're right brother. But man, can we just get ONE?! I'd be so satisfied with just one. Salem might get yet another one this year while making it look easy.

Reactions: mbonape1
I disagree with pretty much all of what was said there, and that’s ok. It’s the perspective you have, and that’s fine. Anyway, out of all those great Louisa teams, there is no single constant. 2 different HC’s, different coordinators, and just overall different staffs for all of them except the for last 2 years. Shoot, like you mentioned even different offenses and defenses. So it’s not like there has been no change. When it comes to the loss this past Friday, I did see different fronts and adjustments on the defense. I actually thought they did a lot to mix it up. I’m fairly certain they did go to a 4-man even front several times too. I know I definitely saw Williams and sometimes Barbour and Spellman lined head up on the guards at times and Aponte squeeze in like a stand up D-end. That means they tried both odd and even fronts essentially. I also saw them blitz a little too with some success. Actually, with the big splits in the pic above with the PH lineman I noticed them blitz that gap some, but the LB would get easily blocked down the same way the end did when he slanted to that gap. I think it’s flat out silly and unfair to say they didn’t make any adjustments to stop them. I think their O-line fired their massive bodies out from a sprinters stance into Louisa’s D-line, triple teaming Williams most the time, and then they ran power football with 3 lead blocking backs for an exceptional running QB who still managed to only get 3 or 4 yards a pop all night. That’s not a terrible job if you ask me. They only had 2-3 plays over 15 yards to my memory. Coverage wise, Louisa did man up most the night but the way I see it that makes since. Make them beat you with the pass and put everybody else in the box to stop the run. Washington was also up at LB depth in the box as well, which is not something that usually happens. That last drive it looked like they changed the coverage up some to prevent a freak pass like last year against EV, and remember, PH was trying to throw it at that time. They had them at 3rd and 15ish and Louisa missed a sack and the QB scrambled and found the RB who was pass blocking initially. If that doesn’t happen, this could all be a lot different. Heck, you could argue several plays could have been the one difference to change the outcome, but PH capitalized. Anyway, I actually think the defense has been pretty dominant this year and a big point people have brought up about the team throughout this season. In fact, statistically Louisa’s defense this year has been the most dominate compared to the past 2 years when you look at points allowed and total yards. Smith was definitely a freak athlete that made them better in a lot of ways, but he didn’t play this year and they were actually better numbers wise. Anyway, try not to be so salty man. Everybody in Louisa wants to win the big one. All the coaches in Louisa do a great job in my opinion of preparing and developing football players. I’m sure they make mistakes, they’re human. The program is heading in a great direction. They’ve created this monster over the past few years and people get so crazy if they don’t shut teams out by 40 haha. The guys coming up will develop. There is some talent there. Two years ago after Salem everybody thought Louisa would be terrible for years to come. Winning is hard, especially in the playoffs.

I disagree with pretty much all of what was said there, and that’s ok. It’s the perspective you have, and that’s fine. Anyway, out of all those great Louisa teams, there is no single constant. 2 different HC’s, different coordinators, and just overall different staffs for all of them except the for last 2 years. Shoot, like you mentioned even different offenses and defenses. So it’s not like there has been no change. When it comes to the loss this past Friday, I did see different fronts and adjustments on the defense. I actually thought they did a lot to mix it up. I’m fairly certain they did go to a 4-man even front several times too. I know I definitely saw Williams and sometimes Barbour and Spellman lined head up on the guards at times and Aponte squeeze in like a stand up D-end. That means they tried both odd and even fronts essentially. I also saw them blitz a little too with some success. Actually, with the big splits in the pic above with the PH lineman I noticed them blitz that gap some, but the LB would get easily blocked down the same way the end did when he slanted to that gap. I think it’s flat out silly and unfair to say they didn’t make any adjustments to stop them. I think their O-line fired their massive bodies out from a sprinters stance into Louisa’s D-line, triple teaming Williams most the time, and then they ran power football with 3 lead blocking backs for an exceptional running QB who still managed to only get 3 or 4 yards a pop all night. That’s not a terrible job if you ask me. They only had 2-3 plays over 15 yards to my memory. Coverage wise, Louisa did man up most the night but the way I see it that makes since. Make them beat you with the pass and put everybody else in the box to stop the run. Washington was also up at LB depth in the box as well, which is not something that usually happens. That last drive it looked like they changed the coverage up some to prevent a freak pass like last year against EV, and remember, PH was trying to throw it at that time. They had them at 3rd and 15ish and Louisa missed a sack and the QB scrambled and found the RB who was pass blocking initially. If that doesn’t happen, this could all be a lot different. Heck, you could argue several plays could have been the one difference to change the outcome, but PH capitalized. Anyway, I actually think the defense has been pretty dominant this year and a big point people have brought up about the team throughout this season. In fact, statistically Louisa’s defense this year has been the most dominate compared to the past 2 years when you look at points allowed and total yards. Smith was definitely a freak athlete that made them better in a lot of ways, but he didn’t play this year and they were actually better numbers wise. Anyway, try not to be so salty man. Everybody in Louisa wants to win the big one. All the coaches in Louisa do a great job in my opinion of preparing and developing football players. I’m sure they make mistakes, they’re human. The program is heading in a great direction. They’ve created this monster over the past few years and people get so crazy if they don’t shut teams out by 40 haha. The guys coming up will develop. There is some talent there. Two years ago after Salem everybody thought Louisa would be terrible for years to come. Winning is hard, especially in the playoffs.
im sure Louisa will win the Jefferson next year because it was bad this year but next year it’s worst fluvanna or western might challenge them maybe , Louisa offense will be good next year to great backs Shelton and Morgan and the qb, only problem is how is there defense gonna hold up I think that’s gonna be there issue, and far as playoffs dinwiddie, monacan lake Taylor are going be a problem next year in 4b region so it’s not putting Louisa down it’s hard to believe they’ll survive A first round next year, this was there year to get to the states and I can’t see it happening no time soon and u better pray Varina don’t drop down to class 4 next year , if so it’s a wrap for 4b period varina technology could be class 4 next Year because of rezoning from what I heard I few hours ago on the 5a board my friend

im sure Louisa will win the Jefferson next year because it was bad this year but next year it’s worst fluvanna or western might challenge them maybe , Louisa offense will be good next year to great backs Shelton and Morgan and the qb, only problem is how is there defense gonna hold up I think that’s gonna be there issue, and far as playoffs dinwiddie, monacan lake Taylor are going be a problem next year in 4b region so it’s not putting Louisa down it’s hard to believe they’ll survive A first round next year, this was there year to get to the states and I can’t see it happening no time soon and u better pray Varina don’t drop down to class 4 next year , if so it’s a wrap for 4b period varina technology could be class 4 next Year because of rezoning from what I heard I few hours ago on the 5a board my friend
I don't believe that Varina can drop down next yr. They just did all of the reclassifications this yr. Off the top of my head but it's every 2-4 yrs when VHSL shuffles teams.

Reactions: VolNation85
You're right brother. But man, can we just get ONE?! I'd be so satisfied with just one. Salem might get yet another one this year while making it look easy.
Get over it. The season is over no need to bash the coaches. Move on to next year. Whining on VaPreps not going to change anything. Louisa has a good program they will be back in the hunt next year.

Reactions: Bcope83

Full-Size-R1.jpg

Or...the other teams were just better that day.

The question is did Louisa have better talent then PHA this season? I would lean toward yes. If you agree with that statement then it is in some ways attributable to coaching / schematics. I just feel like a Louisa team like that with all of those seniors and skill players has got to win that game. I guess the old saying rings true... that is why they play the games.

In 2017 I do believe Louisa probably had more talent than Salem except Ramsey was just an outlier that couldn't be accounted for. Having said that, the talent gap between Salem and Louisa in 2017 was not drastic and I am sure there are some that would counter-argue that Louisa was not more talented. So if you add in a once in a decade tailback like Ramsey into the mix it is just bad luck that you face them in the finals. 2018 was a flukey last play loss with no time on the clock. In a way, the universe has to be on your side to win a state title. A little good fortune goes a long way especially when talking about staying healthy, crucial calls, and balls bouncing your way. My point is Louisa has been good enough to win a state title but there is more to it than that. If you keep knocking on that door one of these days you will land one.

The question is did Louisa have better talent then PHA this season? I would lean toward yes. If you agree with that statement then it is in some ways attributable to coaching / schematics. I just feel like a Louisa team like that with all of those seniors and skill players has got to win that game. I guess the old saying rings true... that is why they play the games.

In 2017 I do believe Louisa probably had more talent than Salem except Ramsey was just an outlier that couldn't be accounted for. Having said that, the talent gap between Salem and Louisa in 2017 was not drastic and I am sure there are some that would counter-argue that Louisa was not more talented. So if you add in a once in a decade tailback like Ramsey into the mix it is just bad luck that you face them in the finals. 2018 was a flukey last play loss with no time on the clock. In a way, the universe has to be on your side to win a state title. A little good fortune goes a long way especially when talking about staying healthy, crucial calls, and balls bouncing your way. My point is Louisa has been good enough to win a state title but there is more to it than that. If you keep knocking on that door one of these days you will land one.
Like most sports, it's all about match-ups. Doesn't really matter how much talent you have, especially at the high school level. If you can exploit 1 or 2 match-ups you can beat anyone.

Get over it. The season is over no need to bash the coaches. Move on to next year. Whining on VaPreps not going to change anything. Louisa has a good program they will be back in the hunt next year.
When certain coaches were predicting the state title before the season even started, I think I can voice my opinion about this.

Reactions: aw19752

From 1986 to 96 Salem had very good football teams. They lost State Championship games in 85 and 92 (I think my years are right.). They had other teams that were very good but couldn't quite get it done. It was very very frustrating. Then in 96 they finally broke through and won a State Title. That broke down the door and Salem won it all in 98,99,2000, 04, 05, 15,16,17. Some times it just takes patience and continued effort to excell.

Reactions: mbonape1
From 1986 to 96 Salem had very good football teams. They lost State Championship games in 85 and 92 (I think my years are right.). They had other teams that were very good but couldn't quite get it done. It was very very frustrating. Then in 96 they finally broke through and won a State Title. That broke down the door and Salem won it all in 98,99,2000, 04, 05, 15,16,17. Some times it just takes patience and continued effort to excell.
Lost to Hampton in 86 and Spotsavania in 91 in State Championship games.
Had a very good team in 92 as well.

Last edited:
Beat 6A champ that yr
Yep. Best Season in Pulaski football history and they still lost to Salem. That season should have been Salems first State Title. Still disgraceful that State Championship wasn't vacated that year. Coach from Richlands was suspended for a year, but team kept title.
But back to Louisas situation. They keep getting close but can't get over the hump. At one time Salem was in same situation. Keep knocking on the door until it breaks.

Yep. Best Season in Pulaski football history and they still lost to Salem. That season should have been Salems first State Title. Still disgraceful that State Championship wasn't vacated that year. Coach from Richlands was suspended for a year, but team kept title.
But back to Louisas situation. They keep getting close but can't get over the hump. At one time Salem was in same situation. Keep knocking on the door until it breaks.
Sherando is in the same boat. Been to title game a few times now. They just run into juggernaut teams

In my honest opinion Louisa will get one soon. Their feeder system is flourishing and the fans are loyal as they come. Patience is the key.
I can't speak on their coaching decisions, but I do remember numerous Louisa fans lauding Coach Patricks's hire.

Sometimes you can get too fancy or too far from what you do best. With the athletes that have rolled through Louisa I can also understand the frustration. In 2017, the Lions rugby scrum offense with Bell in charge was tough to stop. Coach Fisher took heat for being stubborn and staying with the single wing. Maybe he was spot on. Louisa should just be Louisa and pound other teams into submission. That's the Lions identity. Not saying the Lions can't pass, but why bother if you don't have to. Develop the players to fit your system and stick with.

I remember struggling to accept Coach Mills high octane offense and bend, but dont break defense. Sometimes it still drives me crazy, but I would be an idiot to question it. Its now our identity and the kids start learning the system at age 6. Louisa has the same opportunity and resources. Just got to believe in and trust your coach that is now 22-2 in two years. Not long ago Louisa was either not in the playoffs or one and done.

Louisa has lost a ton of senior experience, but there are pieces in place to build around. The key I guess is to be realistic, set attainable goals for the program and to be mindful as fans we cannot expect teenagers to always fulfill our sometimes lofty expectations.

Last edited:
Lots to be learned from UVA basketball. Certain things in the program are unnegotiable . These things are going to get done whether there is talent or little talent.. These are fundamentals, good attitude, hard work, commitment to defense. So when talent is down a little bit you still are competitive. And when it cycles back up you are ready to compete for championships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT