Region B #3 Eastern View vs. #7 Dinwiddie

Who Wins?

• Eastern View

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Dinwiddie

Votes: 40 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Of course EV will stack the box. I think this game comes down to who’s defense can make enough stops. Both teams will score. This could be a high scoring game like last years regional final. This is a toss up.

my prediction is Dinwiddie will score a lot. I cant figure EV out I know they have the ability but will they do it. good luck to both

Reactions: OCBoy
I see this as EV by 14+ but I hope I'm wrong, and it goes to 2OT. The question of the game will be Dinwiddie's defense.

I think dinwiddie wins on the fact the strength of schedule and who they played they had the hardest schedule then anyone in 4b they had to play ponex,dale,monacan,hopewell,George Washington, Prince George . And north stafford all those teams are reallly good and had more then .600 record I think diwiddie can Handle ev run game, ev will have to pass, dinwiddie, will win just think it’s gonna be a 2 touchdown game win.

I think it will be very competitive. A lot of these comments were the same about Huguenot. They were awful. Not comparing them to Dinwiddie but this strength of schedule thing doesn’t mean much to me at all anymore. You’re either good or you’re not. I’m gonna guess if y’all knew Leake wasn’t playing before game time, a lot more would’ve picked Huguenot. They couldn’t do anything....run or pass. That D1 WR didn’t catch a single pass. We’ll see how it goes. If it’s close going into the 4th, I say EV takes it.

We will have to see what offense EV installs this week
Great point @OCBoy. The Cyclones could do most anything and Hatfield is a darn good coach. Playing EV for the third time in three years. I guess that says a lot about both programs. I dont know a ton about EV, so most of my points will be directed towards Dinwiddie.

Some have questioned Dinwiddies defense, specifically their ability to stop the run all season and rightfully so. One factoid some are missing is the talented rushers the Generals have faced:

GW- Graves 1,437 31 tds.
N. Stafford - White 1,100 yards held to 45.
Massaponax - Morley 1,200 Christopher 849
Prince George - Allen 1,300
Matoaca - Dresher and Taylor 1,000 combined held team to 30 yards total.
Petersburg- Bailey 1,201 held to 8 yards
Thomas Dale - William's, Gray, and Tyree 1,513 combined.
Henderson 1,588 held Hopewell to their lowest offensive total all season.

North Stafford Boyd (qb) had a ton of success passing and Massaponax is the only team that totally dominated Dinwiddies depleted (5 starters out) defense by putting up 546 rushing yards. No excuse the Panthers qb killed us on the run.

What's this all mean? Nothind really. Lol. The defense is healthier (2 still out) and is playing the run much better. If we can keep the Cyclones from breaking a big one we should be okay in the run defense department. Our pass rush has been unreal lately and EV must get help on our defensive ends. We play 1v1 on receivers, so if the Cyclones have time they can have some success in the passing game.

In my opinion EV needs to play their normal defensive set. They tackle and cover real well so why change. Teams that have loaded the box on us have been torched in the air and on the ground. If Barlow gets outside or to the next level he will score. Our qb is very young, but can throw the deep ball. He rushes at times, but has limited his turnovers lately.

Special teams is a Dinwiddie strength. Kicker, punter and return teams are quite good.

I realize Dinwiddie winning is a long shot. EV is talented and well respected by Navy Nation. All we can do is play our best and let the chips fall where they may. Have a blessed day. See ya on Friday night.

Great point @OCBoy. The Cyclones could do most anything and Hatfield is a darn good coach. Playing EV for the third time in three years. I guess that says a lot about both programs. I dont know a ton about EV, so most of my points will be directed towards Dinwiddie.

Some have questioned Dinwiddies defense, specifically their ability to stop the run all season and rightfully so. One factoid some are missing is the talented rushers the Generals have faced:

GW- Graves 1,437 31 tds.
N. Stafford - White 1,100 yards held to 45.
Massaponax - Morley 1,200 Christopher 849
Prince George - Allen 1,300
Matoaca - Dresher and Taylor 1,000 combined held team to 30 yards total.
Petersburg- Bailey 1,201 held to 8 yards
Thomas Dale - William's, Gray, and Tyree 1,513 combined.
Henderson 1,588 held Hopewell to their lowest offensive total all season.

North Stafford Boyd (qb) had a ton of success passing and Massaponax is the only team that totally dominated Dinwiddies depleted (5 starters out) defense by putting up 546 rushing yards. No excuse the Panthers qb killed us on the run.

What's this all mean? Nothind really. Lol. The defense is healthier (2 still out) and is playing the run much better. If we can keep the Cyclones from breaking a big one we should be okay in the run defense department. Our pass rush has been unreal lately and EV must get help on our defensive ends. We play 1v1 on receivers, so if the Cyclones have time they can have some success in the passing game.

In my opinion EV needs to play their normal defensive set. They tackle and cover real well so why change. Teams that have loaded the box on us have been torched in the air and on the ground. If Barlow gets outside or to the next level he will score. Our qb is very young, but can throw the deep ball. He rushes at times, but has limited his turnovers lately.

Special teams is a Dinwiddie strength. Kicker, punter and return teams are quite good.

I realize Dinwiddie winning is a long shot. EV is talented and well respected by Navy Nation. All we can do is play our best and let the chips fall where they may. Have a blessed day. See ya on Friday night.
Longshot? My guess is you are the only one who would say that.

No disrespect @86CulpGrad, but I could care less what others teams fans think. Dinwiddie fans have posted very little this year and certainly have not remotely stated anything about being a contender. We are a 7th seed. We have three senior starters on both sides of the ball. Most of our players have only played in 11 varsity games. Our best player has never played running back in high school and our qb is a sophmore. We have taken a beating this year and honestly have very few expectations going forward. The one thing I will say is this team will play to the final whistle. Please don't act like Dinwiddie is disrespecting EV. Three of the above noted posters are alleged Louisa fans for Christ sake.

Reactions: 1Gensfan and OCBoy
No disrespect @86CulpGrad, but I could care less what others teams fans think. Dinwiddie fans have posted very little this year and certainly have not remotely stated anything about being a contender. We are a 7th seed. We have three senior starters on both sides of the ball. Most of our players have only played in 11 varsity games. Our best player has never played running back in high school and our qb is a sophmore. We have taken a beating this year and honestly have very few expectations going forward. The one thing I will say is this team will play to the final whistle. Please don't act like Dinwiddie is disrespecting EV. Three of the above noted posters are alleged Louisa fans for Christ sake.
Oh I see no disrespect at all. All I’m saying is no matter what stat is brought up, Dinwiddie will not be viewed as an underdog per se. This is a toss up game regardless of anything. I will give EV a slight edge because of home field. There are no underclassmen at this point unless it’s their first game.

I am not whining or even implying we are underdogs. I am honest. I dont blow smoke or pull any punches. Just like last year I think EV has a bit more experience and talent. I truly love this team, believe in them and have enjoyed watching the youngens learn on the fly. Surely, this Generals team does not get caught up in the moment. In our loss against Prince George we had one starting lineman left on the field with 2 3rd teamers (one girl) and 2 jv players. They kept working hard and lost in overtime. Had it not been for a botched hand off would have won the game in regulation.

Can Dinwiddie beat EV? Darn skippy, but we will have to play stellar football. Sorry, but it's the truth man. The Cyclones have earned their respect.

Reactions: OCBoy
I believe EV wins in a close game. EV knows and respects Dinwiddie very much. They are very well coached and will play to the final whistle. I know that Dinwiddie played a harder schedule than EV, but so did Hugenot and they were awful and EV dominated from the first snap. EV has been hit with injuries and they have altered their offensive game plan to compensate for the loss of 2 key players. EV, must contain Barlow and stay disciplined on defense and, not let him improvise and make big plays. Offensively, EV must take advantage of their run game with their experienced and stout offensive line. The other plus is EV is playing at home and that I believe gives them an edge in this game.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Nah, not the only one. We are definitely the underdog. I always say the home team in games like this have a 7-10 advantage just due to familiarity and crowd support.

Coach Hatfield and his staff are as good as any coaching staff in the state. Good coaches see things on the films, and know how to exploit them.

Not the longest of longshots for sure, but a long enough shot that not much can go wrong to have a chance to be close late.

LOL, I posted before I read your post Steve. You said what I was thinking, you just stated it a lot more eloquently.

You Dinwiddie guys are humble and that’s a fine attribute. I think you’re reading something into my post that isn’t there. What I’m saying, and it’s already true if you look at the poll above, is that most are going to pick Dinwiddie to win. Right now it’s about 70/30 in favor of Dinwiddie.

@86CulpGrad, thanks for the compliment (humble), but if I really thought we were going to romp EV I would surely say it in a nice way. For the next two years our opponents will need to pack a lunch. Mills knows how to win the big game, so who knows. My genuine reaction was based on people putting EV and Louisa in the regional final all year long (even dismissing dinwiddie from the playoffs totally). It probably was the most reasonable expectation, but no fan likes to see/hear that mess. Especially fans of Monacan and Dinwiddie who are consistently in the top four of the region each year. Not saying it will likely happen, but a win this week will put Dinwiddie in a Region final for the 4th straight year. That would be a nice testament to this teams resilience.

Edit: Most people pick Dinwiddie based on tradition or past performance. They probably dont even know our record.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Would not omit Monacan, but that is a sound take @86CulpGrad. That's why Region B may arguably be the baddest region in Class 4! Win or lose I hope one of us brings the title home. We may be the only Region that resents it when one of our region teams is successful statewide.

Reactions: 1Gensfan and OCBoy
@86CulpGrad, thanks for the compliment (humble), but if I really thought we were going to romp EV I would surely say it in a nice way. For the next two years our opponents will need to pack a lunch. Mills knows how to win the big game, so who knows. My genuine reaction was based on people putting EV and Louisa in the regional final all year long (even dismissing dinwiddie from the playoffs totally). It probably was the most reasonable expectation, but no fan likes to see/hear that mess. Especially fans of Monacan and Dinwiddie who are consistently in the top four of the region each year. Not saying it will likely happen, but a win this week will put Dinwiddie in a Region final for the 4th straight year. That would be a nice testament to this teams resilience.

Edit: Most people pick Dinwiddie based on tradition or past performance. They probably dont even know our record.
I'm picking Dinwiddie based on what I saw against Hopewell and seeing EV in person. EV has lost two of their best players since then. I honestly think Dinwiddie might win big.

Reactions: LionNation540
My hat goes off to Hatfield for the adjustments he made this past week. I’ve always been a fan but he really showed something...and his team responded. After watching the Culpeper game, I thought EV was good but had lost a bit from last year. I think Hat has found ways to overcome the personnel changes AND the injuries to significant players this year. Win or lose, the man deserves some serious credit...as do the the players for buying into the coaches plan(s).

My hat goes off to Hatfield for the adjustments he made this past week. I’ve always been a fan but he really showed something...and his team responded. After watching the Culpeper game, I thought EV was good but had lost a bit from last year. I think Hat has found ways to overcome the personnel changes AND the injuries to significant players this year. Win or lose, the man deserves some serious credit...as do the the players for buying into the coaches plan(s).
Gotta remember, there’s a lot of seasoned players on that team, even with the injuries.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon

Yea I remember seeing after like 4 weeks some posters saying that a 6-4 or 5-5 Dinwiddie wouldn't even MAKE the playoffs. Apparently they didn't know how the points work, since a 5-5 Dinwiddie DID get in the playoffs AND won at least their 1st round game.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
I'm picking Dinwiddie based on what I saw against Hopewell and seeing EV in person. EV has lost two of their best players since then. I honestly think Dinwiddie might win big.
I haven't seen EV since the Charlottesville game, and could see how important Graves was for them. I agree about that Hopewell game too, and the more I think about it, you're probably right that Dinwiddie might win big. If they keep heat on QB Butler, it's their game to take. The story of the game might actually be how EV's defense plays, not Dinwiddie's.

I haven't seen EV since the Charlottesville game, and could see how important Graves was for them. I agree about that Hopewell game too, and the more I think about it, you're probably right that Dinwiddie might win big. If they keep heat on QB Butler, it's their game to take. The story of the game might actually be how EV's defense plays, not Dinwiddie's.
KG was able to move the ball on them some and that was when they were full strength. All of those skill players they lost played both ways. Not knocking the kid, but their QB doesn't have the greatest arm (good, tough runner). Throws the 50/50 fade and tunnel screens. The skill kids made plays in the passing game, not so much him. For example, Leake had 3 catches for about 160 and 3 TDs against us. That was 90% Leake. Without them I don't see them having any success throwing the ball, and without those skill players they will be susceptible to the pass.

Reactions: LionNation540
KG was able to move the ball on them some and that was when they were full strength. All of those skill players they lost played both ways. Not knocking the kid, but their QB doesn't have the greatest arm (good, tough runner). Throws the 50/50 fade and tunnel screens. The skill kids made plays in the passing game, not so much him. For example, Leake had 3 catches for about 160 and 3 TDs against us. That was 90% Leake. Without them I don't see them having any success throwing the ball, and without those skill players they will be susceptible to the pass.
Just sayin again, Hug with that tough schedule, D1 receiver, and no injuries had 74 yds rushing and 17 yds passing. They did have 3 or so injuries in the 4th but it was long over by then.

I’ll say this, if the EV o-line has a good game, I think they win. The really good thing for them about the last game was they on had 4 penalties the whole game.

@FoxesPride...

Butler has a great arm. Arm strength isn’t an issue for the all state catcher.
You can pick at a lot of things but not his arm strength. And he had something like 25 TD passes and 1 INT this season. SMH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kangarew113
You can pick at a lot of things but not his arm strength. And he had something like 25 TD passes and 1 INT this season. SMH.
He’s a 2nd team all-state catcher for goodness sakes...arm strength is fine

Reactions: Kangarew113

@Marshall-Dillon, I am a bit confused. Was the first quote from another poster?

I watched two youtube games last night and you are right. Butler is a very physical runner, has a very strong arm and a nasty quick release. Lawson appears to be a formidable back and we are well aware of the talented receivers the Cyclones possess. The EV o line (Big and strong) versus the quick Dinwiddie d line is going to be a huge matchup. I thought EV's linebackers were their backbone last year and we struggled getting a hat on them. I may be off, but they dont seem to ball hawk as well. We may find some success running the ball.

I realize EV was at full strength at the time, but after watching the videos I still think EV has a slight edge. Both teams can pass and defend the pass. The team that runs the ball the best wins this one.

Edit: Saw your correction or explanation after I posted.

Last edited:
Foxes said he doesn't have the greatest arm. I took it as accuracy more than strength, it was the impression I got from watching EV as well.

Forgot to ask. Does EV's kicker, Hutchison (spelling??) Put most of his kicks in the end zone? If not that could be a fun matchup to watch as well. No one kicks to Barlow anymore, but our other three return guys average over 28 yards. Drumgoole took a squib kick 52 yards against Monacan. If my memory serves me correct EV busted one on us for a td last year. Special teams could be a deciding factor. Both kickers are accurate and have decent range on fgs.

Forgot to ask. Does EV's kicker, Hutchison (spelling??) Put most of his kicks in the end zone? If not that could be a fun matchup to watch as well. No one kicks to Barlow anymore, but our other three return guys average over 28 yards. Drumgoole took a squib kick 52 yards against Monacan. If my memory serves me correct EV busted one on us for a td last year. Special teams could be a deciding factor. Both kickers are accurate and have decent range on fgs.
He USUALLY kicks it inside the 5, but does get it to the end zone often. Spangler for EV is also very dangerous with punt/KO returns.

If you take Leake, Spangler, and Graves off the field then the QB is average. The spotsy game shows a clear lack of the QB being able to win the game. I saw that game and it looked like he was shot putting the ball. You have to remember QB's are typically celebrated by the receivers around them. They're is a lot of good QB's that never shine because of the receiver corp around them. KG has a real good QB but struggles at times because of the lack of stable receivers.

The kicker for EV is totally legit. 4 games observed and was crushing it each one. He is the all area kicker in my mind.

Thanks @86CulpGrad and @defensivewall. Good information guys. As I stated before Dinwiddie fans fully respect the athleticism EV has on offense, defense and special teams. I hope you guys understand as a fan I look for anything to be optimistic about and enjoy analyzing how we can have success against our opponents. Example: Kick return game. No one has kicked to Barwell since Massaponax, so if Hutchison misses and kicks to the 5, we just may break one. I know last year EV took one back and it put a damper on our momentum from scoring. Thanks for taking the time to openly discuss the ends and outs with me.

In my opinion neither team is as good as last year, but the same parity exist. Good programs "find a way".

Last edited:
If you take Leake, Spangler, and Graves off the field then the QB is average. The spotsy game shows a clear lack of the QB being able to win the game. I saw that game and it looked like he was shot putting the ball. You have to remember QB's are typically celebrated by the receivers around them. They're is a lot of good QB's that never shine because of the receiver corp around them. KG has a real good QB but struggles at times because of the lack of stable receivers.

The kicker for EV is totally legit. 4 games observed and was crushing it each one. He is the all area kicker in my mind.
Opinions vary...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT