Who Wins?

• Eastern View

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Dinwiddie

Votes: 40 64.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Opinions vary...
True. I would say this about the EV qb, he’s a very good high school qb. Will he play qb in college? No, probably doesn’t want to either is my guess. You will see him throw a long pass on a rope one play, then fumble a snap on another. You can’t have an all state caliber qb all the time. He is very serviceable and a lot better than many expected IMO.

True. I would say this about the EV qb, he’s a very good high school qb. Will he play qb in college? No, probably doesn’t want to either is my guess. You will see him throw a long pass on a rope one play, then fumble a snap on another. You can’t have an all state caliber qb all the time. He is very serviceable and a lot better than many expected IMO.
I understand that he will be playing baseball in college. I’ve heard both Hampden Sidney and JMU but don’t know which for sure.

Regardless, he is a good HS QB like you said. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his play at the position.

25 TDS and 1 INT would strongly suggest that his “arm talent” is very good!
Not really trying to knock the kid, he's a good QB, my real point was the role that the skill players have in the passing game. He seemed OK vs KG, but the skill guys were crazy good, especially Leake. Without that level of skill I don't think their passing attack is a big threat. I was really trying to point out the impact of the injuries. Sorry if I came across as insulting the QB, not my intent.

Not really trying to knock the kid, he's a good QB, my real point was the role that the skill players have in the passing game. He seemed OK vs KG, but the skill guys were crazy good, especially Leake. Without that level of skill I don't think their passing attack is a big threat. I was really trying to point out the impact of the injuries. Sorry if I came across as insulting the QB, not my intent.

Those crazy good skill guys are not so effective if they don’t have a QB who delivers the ball to them. Don’t get me wrong, the YAC is a telling stat and Leake being out is most definitely not good.

EVs QB seems pretty dang adept at getting his skill players the ball in the right place, right time, etc.

Now I’m done. I’ll hop off the old soapbox and mosey on over to the Long Branch and see if Miss Kitty has opened the Jameson.

I understand that he will be playing baseball in college. I’ve heard both Hampden Sidney and JMU but don’t know which for sure.

Regardless, he is a good HS QB like you said. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by his play at the position.
95% sure he will be at Hampton Sydney playing baseball next year. His family bloodline goes through Sidney.

@DinwiddieProud @BleedingNavy What is dinwiddie's defense like? I have not heard much on that end. Offense is always explosive and can put up points same as EV (pending on what offense they decide to run Friday but after last week don't think it will slow them down much) I think the game will be won based off the defense..whoever can create more turnovers and stops will be in control. EV's defense has been the backbone all year even in the one loss. They are able to make adjustments on the fly to anything that is thrown at them.

In all honesty Dinwiddie has uncharacteristically given up a lot points and yardage. There are numerous reasons for this: Quality of the offenses we faced, inexperience and injury.

In the first five games were literally roughed up on the ground and through the air. Since then I have seen a marked improvement. We still have two crucial players out, but other players have stepped up.

Dinwiddie's front 3 or 4 (depending on the call) are fast and technically sound. What they lack in size they make up in speed. Boy, will they get after the qb on passing downs. The linebackers were all new at the start of the season. This group has really shown the most improvement, but often shows their youth. Our defensive backs are sound, but per our scheme they play a lot of 1v1 coverage with little help. The dbs have good speed, but do get beat on occassion. Barlow is our best cover corner.

Because of their youth the Dinwiddie D can be both exciting and frustrating. If they play the run well like last week, I believe we can keep the game close. Not the best defense I have witnessed in Dinwiddie, but we didnt expect the growth we have seen either.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
In all honesty Dinwiddie has uncharacteristically given up a lot points and yardage. There are numerous reasons for this: Quality of the offenses we faced, inexperience and injury.

In the first five games were literally roughed up on the ground and through the air. Since then I have seen a marked improvement. We still have two crucial players out, but other players have stepped up.

Dinwiddie's front 3 or 4 (depending on the call) are fast and technically sound. What they lack in size they make up in speed. Boy, will they get after the qb on passing downs. The linebackers were all new at the start of the season. This group has really shown the most improvement, but often shows their youth. Our defensive backs are sound, but per our scheme they play a lot of 1v1 coverage with little help. The dbs have good speed, but do get beat on occassion. Barlow is our best cover corner.

Because of their youth the Dinwiddie D can be both exciting and frustrating. If they play the run well like last week, I believe we can keep the game close. Not the best defense I have witnessed in Dinwiddie, but we didnt expect the growth we have seen either.
Forgive my unawareness, but was Barlow a major contributor last year? All I remember from last years game was that QB running all over the place in the backfield and heaving up bombs that got caught. Was he the recipient of any of those?

It would not surprise me if Dinwiddie won because they are a program with tradition and a great coach, especially this game or even the region but based upon what I am hearing from Dinwiddie folks they may be a year away from a deep run, due to youth. Northside Roanoke 3a may be in that same situation with youth and a freshman QB. That being said you had better strap up.

It would not surprise me if Dinwiddie won because they are a program with tradition and a great coach, especially this game or even the region but based upon what I am hearing from Dinwiddie folks they may be a year away from a deep run, due to youth. Northside Roanoke 3a may be in that same situation with youth and a freshman QB. That being said you had better strap up.
I don't think you have to say anything to either coach/team as far as EV/Din is concerned. This makes 3 years in a row. They both know what to expect. Nothing will be taken for granted.

Forgive my unawareness, but was Barlow a major contributor last year? All I remember from last years game was that QB running all over the place in the backfield and heaving up bombs that got caught. Was he the recipient of any of those?

@86CulpGrad you are making me work hard. Lol. Yes, Barlow has played against Eastern View both years as a receiver and defensive back.

In 2017, Barlow caught one pass for 5 yards and returned two kickoffs for a 28 yard average. The next week he took a kick 90 yards for a td against Louisa.

In 2018, Barlow rushed 3 times for 39 yards and caught 3 passes for 124 yards and 2 touchdowns.

I guess Pope did leave quite and impression, but if you look at the stats the same can be said about Lowry. Two talented qb's.

The stats for last years game were very similar.

EV Rushing Holmes 195, Lowry 95
Passing Lowry 4-7 69

Dinwiddie Rushing Dalton 70 Barlow 39 Pope 114
Passing Pope 9-22 173

Last edited:
@86CulpGrad you are making me work hard. Lol. Yes, Barlow has played against Eastern View both years as a receiver and defensive back.

In 2017, Barlow caught one pass for 5 yards and returned two kickoffs for a 28 yard average. The next week he took a kick 90 yards for a td against Louisa.

In 2018, Barlow rushed 3 times for 39 yards and caught 3 passes for 124 yards and 2 touchdowns.

I guess Pope did leave quite and impression, but if you look at the stats the same can be said about Lowry. Two talented qb's.

The stats for last years game were very similar.

EV Rushing Holmes 195, Lowry 95
Passing Lowry 4-7 69

Dinwiddie Rushing Dalton 70 Barlow 39 Pope 114
Passing Pope 9-22 173
Regardless of the outcome Friday night, my guess is that the EV coaches are glad no one named Pope is playing this year.

Random question but what’s the LB who went to Ohio state doing nowadays I know the team is undefeated but I don’t know much about him and haven’t seen him mentioned on here.
Bleeding Navy has more information, but he is starting to get more playing time. K'Vaughan Pope is his name. He has intercepted a pass in each of Ohio State's last two games.

Bleeding Navy has more information, but he is starting to get more playing time. K'Vaughan Pope is his name. He has intercepted a pass in each of Ohio State's last two games.

Glad to see him flourishing I know him and the kid from the beach area were high on their list for lbs in their class.

Aside from his interception last week, he led the team in tackles with 6. He is improving with each game. His athleticism is both an strength and a weakness. I read a quote by his position coach saying he is not always in the right position, but makes unbelievable plays. That tells me he is still operating on instincts instead of the scheme. Hes improving and playing so that's a good thing. He has made some good plays on the kickoff coverage team.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Almost 65% going with Dinwiddie. The people have spoken. Probably hasn't happened very often where 2-weeks in a row the #7 seed gets about 65% support to beat the #2 seed and also the #3 seed. Good for them.

He Dinwiddie maybe you can make it to the state game again. The Ladies at Amherst are cooking again for the states

Fun game to watch. Dinwiddie RB #5 went out of the game with something serious in the 4th. EV lost Spangler a few plays later and that hurt. 56 from Dinwiddie is the real deal.

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Eastern View team, fans, media and their athletic director. We couldn't have been treated any better and you guys are a class act. Beautiful and clean stadium/facility. Tough game and even with all the injured players sidelined for both teams it was still plenty of talent on display. Have enjoyed the past three years games. This is turning into quite a rivalry.

@86CulpGrad and @OCBoy, enjoyed seeing and talking to you guys as well. Very professionally run press box. Best of luck and get well wishes to the injured players.

Reactions: OCBoy
Just wanted to give a shout out to the Eastern View team, fans, media and their athletic director. We couldn't have been treated any better and you guys are a class act. Beautiful and clean stadium/facility. Tough game and even with all the injured players sidelined for both teams it was still plenty of talent on display. Have enjoyed the past three years games. This is turning into quite a rivalry.

@86CulpGrad and @OCBoy, enjoyed seeing and talking to you guys as well. Very professionally run press box. Best of luck and get well wishes to the injured players.
I ditto Navy's comments. Thank you to the EV community for the hospitality.

Also, a shout out to Ciro's for a great meal.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I forgot to mention the Dinwiddie Program won its 300th game last night. 54 years ago Coach Rapp started the team and 15 years ago Coach Mills created the culture to develop us into the solid program we are today. Can't express how much this fan appreciates the 16 hour, 7 days a week commitment our coaches give. Thanks for the sacrifice men!

I just reviewed the stats for the game and they demonstrate just how close this battle was.

Dinwiddie 218 rushing, 70 passing 1 td, no ints.
288 yards

Eastern View 72 yards rushing, 215 passing 1 td, 2 ints. 287 yards.

Crazy!

Last edited:

Great to meat you guys. You’re killing me with the 86culpgrad though. Any word on Barlow? I saw him with a strong limp leaving the field.

Just a sprain. Should be ok. They taped his ankle and he could have returned. Thanks again for the great EV atmosphere and kindness.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Just talked to his dad. He is in some pain, but no major swelling. I am sure he was hurting last night, because he hasn't missed a play all year. I don't "bs". At this point I would say he has a 90% chance of playing. We will know more by Wednesday. If not next man up. Go #17, 30 and 13.

Whatever. This is a kid we are talking about. All 5'4" 150 lbs of him that is tough as nails. I guess you guys know better. Watch the video and see how he got hurt after the play. It's in the trainers hands now.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Whatever. This is a kid we are talking about. All 5'4" 150 lbs of him that is tough as nails. I guess you guys know better. Watch the video and see how he got hurt after the play. It's in the trainers hands now.
Nobody questioning toughness or caliber of player. He is hurt that doesn’t make him soft. There’s no way he plays and if he does no way he’s even close to 100%. That was serious.

I would tend to think that someone in the know and close to a program it seems would have more of an idea than a fan from the opposition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT