ADVERTISEMENT

Salem Getting Bullied

There is a big talent gap in these teams (Martinsburg vs. HS/Varina/Manchester). D1 has nothing to do with it but it shows just how good those 3 teams are. Highland Springs has won 4 straight championships against some really good teams.. Martinsburg has not played that kind of competition.. Not even close. The Hermitage & Bird teams that Highland Springs beat to win those state championships are proof enough and then to beat Stone Bridge just solidifies it. I would have liked to have seen HS play Salem, Monacan, Dinwiddie and Louisa during those years. To compare kids year to year is irrelevant though. We can only go by who lines up presently.. Who can beat Highland Springs is good and all but we’ll never know cause Louisa nor Martinsburg plays them.

Nowhere did I say anything different.

"Martinsburg isn’t 4 scores close to any of these 3 teams. Over 25 D1 kids combined at Highland Springs, Manchester and Varina. Throw another 4-5 in for Louisa."

Point was, as YOU have even pointed out many times, D1 doesn't mean a team is better, so that statement is invalid. They could be 4 tds better, and it could be because of those players (or any other factor), but just because they have that many doesn't mean they are better

Martinsburg can compete with any 5A or 6A team. Not saying they win but they will bring it!!!

Hey Bulldog do you know why Martinsburg doesn't play the Cumberland schools anymore? Fort Hill was always a good game and I remember watching them and Martinsburg play.

Nowhere in ANY of my posts did I accuse you of that, so don't try to disrespect me. I have not once on here on ANY board said my team was the best, better than anyone, etc.
You said, "but I am not one who thinks my team is the best team in the state." That implies that you think I feel that way about Louisa, similar to how you implied it on the C5 board. And again, that's not how I feel. It falls back on the tone you take when reading my posts.

."
Point was, as YOU have even pointed out many times, D1 doesn't mean a team is better, so that statement is invalid. They could be 4 tds better, and it could be because of those players (or any other factor), but just because they have that many doesn't mean they are better
The difference is all those teams he named are well coached and know how to use those athletes too, for the most part, unlike that Dan River example.

There is a big talent gap in these teams (Martinsburg vs. HS/Varina/Manchester). D1 has nothing to do with it but it shows just how good those 3 teams are. Highland Springs has won 4 straight championships against some really good teams.. Martinsburg has not played that kind of competition.. Not even close. The Hermitage & Bird teams that Highland Springs beat to win those state championships are proof enough and then to beat Stone Bridge just solidifies it. I would have liked to have seen HS play Salem, Monacan, Dinwiddie and Louisa during those years. To compare kids year to year is irrelevant though. We can only go by who lines up presently.. Who can beat Highland Springs is good and all but we’ll never know cause Louisa nor Martinsburg plays them.
I always say . Instead of talking crap , and not believing sign them up , play them . Until then shut up and respect them. Martinsburg has at least 4 to 10 D-1 and D-2 recruits every year problem is they don’t Get the exposure or the looks a Virginia kid will get. I keep saying schedule them up over the last ten years. I mean really , not many teams can brag a little like Salem , Dinwiddie , Lake Taylor or Briar woods......Louisa isn’t one of them .

You said, "but I am not one who thinks my team is the best team in the state." That implies that you think I feel that way about Louisa, similar to how you implied it on the C5 board. And again, that's not how I feel. It falls back on the tone you take when reading my posts.

No, you just assume I am speaking about you.

And since you asked about the change earlier, I figured out a way to get each message you posted. They just aren't linked.

I would be saying the same if we never played Ponax. Louisa returns everyone from last year except Smith, and the secondary is better and deeper this year. I've seen Ponax play a lot over the last few years, and last year's team (before the injuries) and this year's team are their best teams ever. Their defense had been pretty suspect, but this year's defense brings them over the edge. Louisa happened to catch them at the right time, for both teams. I think Ponax will smack us next year though.

So then are you saying they are better most days that Louisa? You said caught on right night for both.

Because I think I have seen you say you thought Louisa could beat HS

no, I've thought for years that Louisa could compete with and beat Ponax. The Panthers always have awesome offenses, but their defense has improved the last couple of seasons, which helped keep the game so close this year. I say they will probably smack us next year because we lose almost 30 seniors, and there's no telling if next year we reload or not.

Yeah I don't see anyone beating them with a healthy Hale. We would've lost to them too. Plus he plays defense and its showing now.

The difference is all those teams he named are well coached and know how to use those athletes too, for the most part, unlike that Dan River example.

You aren't getting it, using THAT example doesn't hold weight by the statement. It doesn't mention anything about coaching and even DSH points out that he has said the exact thing in the past.

no, I've thought for years that Louisa could COMPETE WITH and beat Ponax. The Panthers always have awesome offenses, but their defense has improved the last couple of seasons, which helped keep the game so close this year. I say they will probably smack us next year because we lose almost 30 seniors, and there's no telling if next year we reload or not.

Yeah I don't see anyone beating them with a healthy Hale. We would've lost to them too. Plus he plays defense and its showing now.
Geez you make my brain hurt with your nitpickiness. I should've said compete with and/or beat Ponax. My bad! Just because I said I think we'd lose to them with a healthy Hale, we'd still compete with them to the end.

I always say . Instead of talking crap , and not believing sign them up , play them . Until then shut up and respect them. Martinsburg has at least 4 to 10 D-1 and D-2 recruits every year problem is they don’t Get the exposure or the looks a Virginia kid will get. I keep saying schedule them up over the last ten years. I mean really , not many teams can brag a little like Salem , Dinwiddie , Lake Taylor or Briar woods......Louisa isn’t one of them .
Hamspear I don’t know who you think you are but don’t tell me to shut up. I usually ignore you but it seems like you’ll never learn.

Reactions: Rev_Real
The best athletes don’t always win games, go check out North Shore in Houston they are littered with D1 players and I’m taking top 100 in their class type of talent, but they don’t win it yearly. A team like Katy who has an exceptional athlete here and there but just plays football from peewee to varsity same system wins more frequent. The talent can make up for a lot but it doesn’t win every time. Salem didn’t have the same talent lake Taylor had with Ewing Davis and more but Salem took it to them to win it all. The list grows but what I’ve seen is a program that has talent and they aren’t afraid to play anybody. I tip my hat in their favor cause they really embody the we play anybody you schedule mantra. Martinsburg would roll several teams with running clock in 4a like they did salem. Any given Friday it can happen but right now 60+ and counting I think they’ll be around 70 when they see Salem next year.

Geez you make my brain hurt with your nitpickiness. I should've said compete with and/or beat Ponax. My bad! Just because I said I think we'd lose to them with a healthy Hale, we'd still compete with them to the end.

I knew you would come up with a way to combat that. You know very well that you meant by that answer that Louisa would still beat Massaponax. That is the very reason you said no.

I DON'T CARE if you would win or not. I don't care whether you win the championship or not, but don't try to disrespect me and tell me I am saying something I am not, or not tell the truth.

Let me just ask you a question, and actually think about it before you answer. You have gotten into back and forth with MANY posters on here recently. Sure, you could say that most of the others had a dog in the fight, but I don't. So you thinking I am reading your posts incorrectly (which I acknowledged could be), but if multiple people are then what is the only common denominator?

In fact, I have even been nice, said your heart was in right place, and have even taken up for you. But what I read, is that if someone doesn't agree with your opinion you view them as an enemy. Not everyone is against you or Louisa. Sure, the posters on here are for their team, but you make it out like everyone absolutely despises Louisa.

In closing, I hope Louisa wins the championship because I can't imagine the flack you will take on here if they don't

@Gunz41 how about you just skip over my posts like I usually do with yours, besides when you quote me? For someone who doesn't care, you sure keep acting like you care. I don't have the energy to keep going with you, it won't make one bit of difference in the grand scheme of things, or anyone's opinions. The only thing it's doing is disrupting a good thread of actual football talk.

If I remember correctly Louisa only hung 16 over winless Kettle Run at halftime.

Probably refs fault tho...

Just saying I don’t see Louisa hanging with Martinsburg. We’ll never know though.

Ain't no way that area's officials would let a physical team like Louisa come in and run roughshod on Salem, especially if Santa officiates. It would be a flagfest with the game stopped every other play. But I would be surprised if Salem scored more than 1 TD on this Louisa team, and had more than 150 yards of offense without a healthy Wood.
Was just having a hard time connecting the dots with this comment and the lackluster performance against winless KR.

@VAtuffTurf again, it's been discussed. See the Louisa/KR thread. It wasn't a lackluster performance at all. Louisa did anything and everything they wanted, tested new things out and everything, despite the officials calling 2 or 3 TDs back and umpteen big plays back. The game never felt in question or doubt, or close, even at halftime. We scored on the 3rd play of the game and then it was a flag fest. The dot you aren't connecting though is defense! The point I was trying to make is, regardless of officiating or the score, our defense is nasty and should keep us in any game this year. KR has put up points and yardage in most of their games despite the losses, but only had 39 yards against us all game, with D1 sized linemen.

Last edited:
Wait a minute 39 total yards now thats rare to hear that, pretty much says Louisa defense Is solid, and to think Handley beat KR by 3pts I think the score was like 24-21 and they are top 4 in the 4c, goes to show how good Louisa defense is. didn’t Louisa beat KR ... 45-0 hmmm

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Just to put some stats out there.

Louisa has held 3 teams (kettle run, charlottesville, monticello ) to negative yards in the 2nd have playing back-ups. Kettle Run had only 35 yards or so (ive seen a couple different numbers) Charlottesville had only 25. Orange got 86 of there 197 on one play. Monticello got 1/2 of there yardage in the first drive and then couldnt move the ball after that.

Only 6A massaponax has gotten more than 200 yards, on the lions D. They are giving up just under 3 yards per play. The lions on average are only giving up 10 first downs a game. if you remove the massaponax game, lions only giving up around 2 yards per play.

On the year almost 3500 yards of Offense in 8 games, 433 yards per game average. Over 8 yards per carry over 9 yards per passing attempt.

The Quality of the Opponents might be questionable but louisa has blown out every team except massaponax, controlled the game, and executed their O at will.

I dont think any team will be within 14 points of them until they see eastern view. I dont think Monacan's D is can stop louisa's rushing attack, while louisa has shut down any passing game this year, they have yet to have anyone throw for 100 yards on them.

Louisa gets so much hate and I just don’t understand why. I’ve met a lot of their guys from the GW/Louisa state championship basketball game and by going to sporting events there.. You won’t find better kids anywhere. They have restored my faith in the youth. Had a couple of their players to send me a Merry Christmas on Twitter. Absolutely great kids. On the football end, they are a lot better than many give credit (just because you don’t like a poster, doesn’t mean you have to discredit the kids). Actually watch those guys play. They are elite and very impressive. I saw the 2017 play 4 times and I’ve seen this team play twice (will probably end up following them during the playoffs) and this team is a lot deeper than that team. I can see why @LionNation540 is excited, hell I’m happy for him and the kids. They are loaded.

Reactions: LionNation540
The best athletes don’t always win games, go check out North Shore in Houston they are littered with D1 players and I’m taking top 100 in their class type of talent, but they don’t win it yearly. A team like Katy who has an exceptional athlete here and there but just plays football from peewee to varsity same system wins more frequent. The talent can make up for a lot but it doesn’t win every time. Salem didn’t have the same talent lake Taylor had with Ewing Davis and more but Salem took it to them to win it all. The list grows but what I’ve seen is a program that has talent and they aren’t afraid to play anybody. I tip my hat in their favor cause they really embody the we play anybody you schedule mantra. Martinsburg would roll several teams with running clock in 4a like they did salem. Any given Friday it can happen but right now 60+ and counting I think they’ll be around 70 when they see Salem next year.
52 games

Louisa gets so much hate and I just don’t understand why. I’ve met a lot of their guys from the GW/Louisa state championship basketball game and by going to sporting events there.. You won’t find better kids anywhere. They have restored my faith in the youth. Had a couple of their players to send me a Merry Christmas on Twitter. Absolutely great kids. On the football end, they are a lot better than many give credit (just because you don’t like a poster, doesn’t mean you have to discredit the kids). Actually watch those guys play. They are elite and very impressive. I saw the 2017 play 4 times and I’ve seen this team play twice (will probably end up following them during the playoffs) and this team is a lot deeper than that team. I can see why @LionNation540 is excited, hell I’m happy for him and the kids. They are loaded.
Amen. After the Ponax game, Alex Washington said on the news how everyone doubts us. The kids read the board and feed off the haters, and some have thanked me for helping get more exposure out about them and going to bat for them. I couldn't care less about any opinions about me on here, but when ignorant things get said about the team, when it's obvious to me and our community/players that those posters don't know what they're talking about, I will defend them. They are a great, kind, and very smart bunch of kids with a great support system and community around them, and you can't help but want to go to war with/for them. And that's not just this team, it's every team over the years... but I'm extra partial to this team since my cousin #2 Buck Hunter has been ballin out there, ha.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Martinsburg has defeated Briar Woods twice and one of those wins was when McSoreley was the QB.
The first win was against a poor Broad Woods team that had a losing record. The second was when McSorley was a freshman starting QB. The Briar Woods teams in referring to are the next two years.

This year, today, right now, or this Friday night, Martinsburg would clean their clocks. All of them. It would be ugly.
Martinsburg is a good team but they are not on Highland Springs current level. Highland Springs has the 6th longest win streak in the nation playing against better competition. They are currently ranked #21 in the nation according to USA Today.

You people don’t get it, this a very average Martinsburg team by there standards . I have seen 4 or 5 Martinsburg teams better then this one in the last 10 years. I actually believe offensively last years team better, defensively maybe a little better this year. But that’s a big maybe
I have been watching them for well over 10 yrs nothing new here. I don't see 4 or 5 Martinsburg teams better than this one. Just like I dont see many Salem teams even close to the 98 squad. Each yr is different and that goes for opponents too. I'm pretty sure this Martinsburg team could run the table in past yrs vs the teams they played. The QB that's playing at Shepard might have been better. I like #5 over last yrs QB when it comes to throwing the ball. #10 was a much better runner. I would like to see how this defense would hold up against a really good QB too. That could be the difference compared to past teams too. I have seen WR's routinely get behind them. The biggest problem has been the other teams QB accuracy.

Martinsburg is a good team but they are not on Highland Springs current level. Highland Springs has the 6th longest win streak in the nation playing against better competition. They are currently ranked #21 in the nation according to USA Today.
I agree. I’m not trying to diss the folks west of Richmond but until you actually see the way teams like Highland Springs, Varina, Manchester, and the Bird & Herm teams of the past, when you betting against them (Martinsburg could beat them, this and that team could beat them) you’re just talking out the side of your neck. They’re a different animal. Gunz made the argument that D1 talent doesn’t always equate to wins.. That is true until you strap on your helmet against multiple kids going to LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, UVA, etc... And the teams are well coached. Just a different brand of football.

Reactions: SFUWO and lyhsports
I agree. I’m not trying to diss the folks west of Richmond but until you actually see the way teams like Highland Springs, Varina, Manchester, and the Bird & Herm teams of the past, when you betting against them (Martinsburg could beat them, this and that team could beat them) you’re just talking out the side of your neck. They’re a different animal. Gunz made the argument that D1 talent doesn’t always equate to wins.. That is true until you strap on your helmet against multiple kids going to LSU, Clemson, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, UVA, etc... And the teams are well coached. Just a different brand of football.

I agree with a lot of this but some of those teams listed aren’t exactly littered with the talent you’re speaking of, HSHS is afforded that luxury but the others have a handful (2-4 max) of players who make it power 5 on the roster and on the field. I see martinsburg has a longer streak of wins than springs and also embodies the we play anybody we can schedule mentality so thinking they just aren’t athletically gifted to get it done against the other teams is a farce. I don’t think they’re the best team ever I could see them struggling against springs or a north shore but I could also see them playing with them the entire game and maybe even winning. The sport is very fickle and when you used to winning you just find ways to win regardless of what happened.

I agree with a lot of this but some of those teams listed aren’t exactly littered with the talent you’re speaking of, HSHS is afforded that luxury but the others have a handful (2-4 max) of players who make it power 5 on the roster and on the field. I see martinsburg has a longer streak of wins than springs and also embodies the we play anybody we can schedule mentality so thinking they just aren’t athletically gifted to get it done against the other teams is a farce. I don’t think they’re the best team ever I could see them struggling against springs or a north shore but I could also see them playing with them the entire game and maybe even winning. The sport is very fickle and when you used to winning you just find ways to win regardless of what happened.
Martinsburg doesn’t have to play teams like HS and etc... they would be a medium sized 4A team in Virginia . What’s the use comparing them to those teams. Also , Martinsburg has had extremely and very athletic QB’s in the past . This year just happen to have a more of pocket kind of guy.

You are more than likely right. Highland Springs has at least 5 guys with power 5 offers, Varina has 3, and Manchester (idk, they are young so I expect a couple of them to get some in the summer)... Not that offers mean anything but refer to my previous post.

First off I am not “whoever Hamspear “ is? And I wasn’t telling you specifically to shut up . I was speaking in general to all the people who want to bash a team that haven’t played Martinsburg. Hard to talk when you haven’t played them. You can speculate all you want . But. Will tell you this , sometimes the shoe fits ... so feel free to wear it.

Reactions: BulldogSoccer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT