ADVERTISEMENT

State Semifinals: 13-0 King George @ 13-0 Phoebus

This is why we need the old system back. Imagine Maury,Freedom,KG,HS and Phoebus being able to play against each other for the state title this year. Under the current system we are going to have 3 teams that could claim to be best team in state after championship week. Hate all these "what ifs" under the current system. Might as well be the bowl system of college football's past.

This is why we need the old system back. Imagine Maury,Freedom,KG,HS and Phoebus being able to play against each other for the state title this year. Under the current system we are going to have 3 teams that could claim to be best team in state after championship week. Hate all these "what ifs" under the current system. Might as well be the bowl system of college football's past.
What system would we be able to see those games in the state championship round?

Reactions: OCBoy
He might own a record and lead in stats but there are countless qbs waaaayy better than him this yr and years prior, they just was not in his situation surrounded by other great athletes. He is an average qb at best. How many d1 offers he has? You didnt mention that while mentioning his stats. He aint even the best player on his team...Jeff Overton is...lol
His ONLY OFFER is Fairmont State University! He has ZERO D1 offers. He’s a system QB surrounded by 5 D1 players to get the ball to in the worst Districts in the entire state. Numbers mean nothing when no one is actually WATCHING HIM.

Reactions: fattyhawk2013
As of the latest ranking posted today, He’s listed as the 8th best dual threat qb in Virginia for the class of 2024 by qbhitlist, who scouts and grades every QB. If you include the pro style grades, he’s 10th. He’s ranked as a 2 star.

Filter for VA, 2024, dual threat.

And that statement I guess you think in Highland Springs is no better than slow @$$ battlefield. If Maury could not beat us by three or four touchdowns, when we weren’t fully healthy, what in the world makes you think anybody can beat them by three or four touchdowns now that they’re fully healthy? For that matter, what makes you think you can even score 4 touchdowns against Highland Springs?

No not at all man. If that was the case, I would have said they will beat Highland Springs by six touchdowns. :)

When the playoffs started, I only really thought of HSHS or Manchester as the teams capable of giving Freedom a good game or possibly knocking them off. I'm actually looking forward to them finally playing a team that can match up with them across the board, which is what I expect HSHS will be able to do. As far as my prediction goes though, I'm just going by the product that Freedom is putting on the field right now.

Whatever Maury couldn't do to unhealthy HS in September, or however weak the Cardinal district may be, keep it coming whosprings. We're just counting down the days until December 9th!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HooSprings
As of the latest ranking posted today, He’s listed as the 8th best dual threat qb in Virginia for the class of 2024 by qbhitlist, who scouts and grades every QB. If you include the pro style grades, he’s 10th. He’s ranked as a 2 star.

Filter for VA, 2024, dual threat.
I would not put too much stock into QBHitlist. You have to pay for a membership to be ranked-no rating service worth a damn would charge the kids for a listing/rating.

I would not put too much stock into QBHitlist. You have to pay for a membership to be ranked-no rating service worth a damn would charge the kids for a listing/rating.
Actually basic profile and rankjng is free, the extended services cost money, And go look at the thousands of college coaches that follow it: it’s a legit service. It’s a great service for QBs.

Guys this kid has put up good numbers, but no Power 5 coach is going to offer him a full ride at 5'11" and average arm strength. Keeping up with the recruiting trends is very important and why would they take a risk on him when they can get someone who is proven in the portal. NIL has changed the game. Not bad mouthing the kid, but simply put he just isn't worth 1-1.5 million dollars. That's what the going NIL rate for a quarterback is. Y'all keep forgetting that NCAA football is a business and coaches are not going to risk their own or program money on a long shot. Those days are over. Sometimes we need to be careful of the "get mine" mentality. Most colleges will not be able to maintain this type of revenue flow and programs will disappear.

Last edited:
I honestly loved the old format. It made school work harder and that made for better football. This system is watered down and the fact that everyone gets a chance in the playoffs even if your 1-9 is just ridiculous. Bring back the 4 game playoffs, bring back district championships that actually mean something!! I feel like a lot of these school don’t even try anymore because they know if they can win at least 4 games they’ll make the playoffs. I miss the days when Herm was 10-0 Springs was 10-0 Bird was 10-0 & MBK would be 9-1 and miss the playoffs because they lost to 7-3 Dale. Make the regular season mean something smh

Reactions: TDKLIGHTSOUT
Actually basic profile and rankjng is free, the extended services cost money, And go look at the thousands of college coaches that follow it: it’s a legit service. It’s a great service for QBs.
Not knocking the site and I'm sure it can help raise a player's profile, but the rankings may be more influenced on who signs up. For example, the #25 dual threat qb is still in elementary school. Is VA that shallow in dual threat qbs, or is the kid that good?

Sorry to be OT: But any safe and close parking along with food recommendations for Darling Stadium? I haven't been to a game there since 2005. Looks like parking is pretty scarce on Google Maps.

Can't remember where I parked last time to be honest but I remember it wasn't too far away.

These are two really elite teams considering KG knocked off Dinwiddie and Varina back to back weekends and The Phantoms dominated a Warhill squad that was undefeated and beat a class 5 and class 3 regional champion. The more I have seen Phoebus the more impressed I have been as the season progresses. Overall, I love their brand of football!

However, I am going to take KG 26-21. I think Phoebus will have the ball final drive with the opportunity to take the lead but ultimately KG gets it done and advances.

What could thwart this prediction from my POV is if Phoebus controls the clock well and the TOP is lopsided in the Phantoms favor. What I have found over the years with Monacan having some really good passing teams is if you struggle stopping the run it doesn’t matter how good your passing game is. Turning around and handing the ball off has a lot less moving parts and limits the potential for errors.

Not knocking the site and I'm sure it can help raise a player's profile, but the rankings may be more influenced on who signs up. For example, the #25 dual threat qb is still in elementary school. Is VA that shallow in dual threat qbs, or is the kid that good?

I think it's for exposure. We had over 60 coaches stop by the past year, 30+ guys on active college rosters... don't recall ratings being of much if any significance. Had a QB listed, went to ODU as a safety. Something to follow, but like you said it's to get their name out there.

Last edited:
These are two really elite teams considering KG knocked off Dinwiddie and Varina back to back weekends and The Phantoms dominated a Warhill squad that was undefeated and beat a class 5 and class 3 regional champion. The more I have seen Phoebus the more impressed I have been as the season progresses. Overall, I love their brand of football!

However, I am going to take KG 26-21. I think Phoebus will have the ball final drive with the opportunity to take the lead but ultimately KG gets it done and advances.

What could thwart this prediction from my POV is if Phoebus controls the clock well and the TOP is lopsided in the Phantoms favor. What I have found over the years with Monacan having some really good passing teams is if you struggle stopping the run it doesn’t matter how good your passing game is. Turning around and handing the ball off has a lot less moving parts and limits the potential for errors.
If Phoebus watches the Courtland/King George tape, can replicate Courtland's strategy, but can execute better than Courtland, then King George will have an extremely tough time winning this game. Phoebus has the best of both worlds. They can grind you to sleep/smash you in the mouth, but can also hit you with big plays due to their athletes (which is something that Courtland lacked enough of).

Rain is now forecast mid-day Saturday. This is not what King George wants or needs. They not only play on turf, but Phoebus is accustomed to playing on a grass field.

I think this will be lower scoring than what some may expect. I think it will be Phoebus eeking out a 19-17 win.

They evaluate the film that everyone submits. I paid for evaluation the first time just to get the extra feedback. But they continue to evaluate whatever film you send them. And will take one off requests to evaluate updated film anytime. But people who pay get the priority. Listen, it’s really popular for the kids and coaches. It’s marketing. And a decent evaluation and ranking. And not expensive. All kids should post their free profile matter what.

Reactions: CavsGrad
They evaluate the film that everyone submits. I paid for evaluation the first time just to get the extra feedback. But they continue to evaluate whatever film you send them. And will take one off requests to evaluate updated film anytime. But people who pay get the priority. Listen, it’s really popular for the kids and coaches. It’s marketing. And a decent evaluation and ranking. And not expensive. All kids should post their free profile matter what.
It’s also help to see when they repost your Twitter posts, which college coaches will see the repost. They have a huge college coaching audience. Then you can DM that coach to hopefullly start a relationship. “I see you like my post, are you looking for a qb for your 2024 class” type of intro. Helps you get found sometime in addition to submitting your recruiting profile on all their college football websites. It’s just another recruiting / marketing tool. It was more impacted than all the combines / all star games/ and overpriced camps that promise to help you.

I did find the combines / all star games/ and football camps to be helpful for the kids to gauge where they are compared to others… the best event to go to are the college camps. Gets you in front of the coaches and competing against others than want to be there too.. do it early. And it’s cheap or free.

I did find the combines / all star games/ and football camps to be helpful for the kids to gauge where they are compared to others… the best event to go to are the college camps. Gets you in front of the coaches and competing against others than want to be there too.. do it early. And it’s cheap or free.
You don't mention the dirty money that flows into recruiting services via their publications. These companies charge schools thousands of dollars for their "exclusive" lists of what they think a five-star is, four-star, and down the line. Big P5 schools blindly write checks to these services and then get their department secretaries to blind mail and send out hundreds of offer letters without even seeing kids play. This happens in football and in other sports as well (especially basketball where teams are essentially just trying to shoot fish in a barrel.

In addition, if a parent gets to know some of these recruiters very well, then a kid may arbitrarily get a higher rating than they deserve. And because coaches and "fAnS" care about star ratings so much, this can be detrimental to a player and a program.

Last edited:
Reactions: catchtds
Sorry to be OT: But any safe and close parking along with food recommendations for Darling Stadium? I haven't been to a game there since 2005. Looks like parking is pretty scarce on Google Maps.

Can't remember where I parked last time to be honest but I remember it wasn't too far away.
Go check out some of the restaurants in downtown Hampton on Queens Way or in Phoebus on Mellen St. Plenty of options. If the parking lot overflows then there is a public library across the street from stadium. If you chose to eat in those areas Queens Way is 2 minutes away and Mellen St is 5 minutes away driving distance. Have a safe trip!

My prediction - Phoebus 27 - King George 17 in a great game.
After watching their film I was thinking 28-7. Trenches will win this one as usual. They won’t be able to block us and their QB isn’t that great to make the plays to beat us. Throws a lot of 50/50 balls and depends on his WR to make a play.

You don't mention the dirty money that flows into recruiting services via their publications. These companies charge schools thousands of dollars for their "exclusive" lists of what they think a five-star is, four-star, and down the line. Big P5 schools blindly write checks to these services and then get their department secretaries to blind mail and send out hundreds of offer letters without even seeing kids play. This happens in football and in other sports as well (especially basketball where teams are essentially just trying to shoot fish in a barrel.

In addition, if a parent gets to know some of these recruiters very well, then a kid may arbitrarily get a higher rating than they deserve. And because coaches and "fAnS" care about star ratings so much, this can be detrimental to a player and a program.
Not to mention that almost every kid that won or placed at the camps and events was a kid who was privately coached year-round by the coach that also runs the event. And some of these kid sucked. So they get marketed as elite players, but as qb they couldn’t even hit their WRs in stride.. it was all about making money. Even if they invite you for free, you are just name to be there in case you make it big so they can claim you went to their camp or event.

They also list a SR bench warmer for Madison at #14, when the Madison starter (a JR) is decidedly better. Sorry, I am not buying QBHitList if only for the fact that they should - at least - rank every starting QB in Virginia if they want real legitimacy.

I don’t mean no harm and ain’t diminishing nothing Freedom has done but the “most prolific passer the state has ever seen”?!?! Come on moe, they played 7 teams 4-6 or worse. 2 barely above .500. But I do agree Varina and Phoebus neck and neck. Phoebus just match up better with KG because of there offense.
Moe? You gotta be from DC 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: Johnny"football"
Phoebus defense is better than Varina's defense. I don't think they are neck and neck at all. Varina defense was very good though, but had a bad match with KG.
Phoebus defense is indeed better at certain levels(secondary/linebackers). Neck and neck to me means, they’re not far off and definitely have showed that against top talent across the state. Phoebus has more playmakers, while Varina has role players that work well in there system.

Both semifinals and the finals were blowouts last year. I feel like this year‘s semifinals and finals should bring more competitive matches no matter the outcomes, Salem and Phoebus have 23 finals appearances between them and 19 titles. King George and Tuscarora are more than likely fully aware of who they are facing Saturday and prepared to give their best. Both are heads and tails above Brentsville District, who Phoebus faced last year, but do not have the pedigree of the Salem Spartans. I have to be careful showing any respect to the Spartans. I was told that I was a stupid child the last time I did that.

Phoebus defense is indeed better at certain levels(secondary/linebackers). Neck and neck to me means, they’re not far off and definitely have showed that against top talent across the state. Phoebus has more playmakers, while Varina has role players that work well in there system.
Phoebus has one of, if not the best front four in the state to go with the linebackers and secondary.

Phoebus has one of, if not the best front four in the state to go with the linebackers and secondary.
The defensive ends are both very impressive. Phoebus can probably get pressure without having to blitz. Big if, but if KG forces Phoebus to bring a blitz they can take advantage of the 1 on 1 matchups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT