ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL power points system help

Jan 27, 2017
As we get closer to the district, region and state playoffs for basketball we all start trying to calculate where we all stand with the points system. I wanted to share what I think I know and hopefully with some help can get a better understanding of how the VHSL points system works.

Looks like to me if a 2A team beats a 2A team, the winner gets 7 points and the loser 0.
If a 2A team beats a 3A team they get 8 points, 4A would be 9 points and so on.
If a 2A team loses to a 3A team they get 2 points.

That's the end of what I think I have figured out. Now my questions...

How many points for a 2A team beating a 1A team, 6 points?
How many points for a 2A team losing to a 4A team, still 2 points?
What do they do when teams don't play the same number of games, is it an average?

I also read on the VHSL website where the district tournaments carry no weight what so ever. Regional seating will be determined by regular season wins and losses only.

"In an ongoing effort to balance fair competition with athletic department budgets, the Virginia High School League has approved more alignment changes to begin in the 2017-18 school year.

The league instituted sweeping changes in 2013 in hopes of eliminating playoff games that feature two schools with vastly different enrollments. The main goal was accomplished. But there were two unintended consequences: teams had to travel more, and gate revenue decreased. Consequently, many athletics directors felt a crunch on their bottom line.

To remedy the situation, the VHSL will break each of the six classifications into four regions. Currently, each classification has two regions.

When a team reaches the playoffs, it will advance directly to the region tournament and play the other teams in its region. The regions were designed with geography in mind, grouping teams that are in the same geographic area, with some exceptions.

Conferences and conference tournaments will be eliminated. Many conferences struggled to make money, and they never established rivalries the way the VHSL intended.

The old districts — including the Capital, Central, Colonial and Dominion in greater Richmond — will still exist. But winning a district championship will have no impact on a team’s playoff future.

Districts still will have a role, though. They will be the basis for a team’s regular-season schedule, just as they are now. Most teams will continue to play their district opponents in the regular season.

Another change was made to the terminology. The classifications no longer will be known as 6A, 5A, 4A, etc. Instead, they’ll be called Class 6, Class 5, Class 4, etc."

I emailed VHSL and they were kind enough to answer me, kind of.

Good evening,

Thank you for the email. Unfortunately, I will not be able to answer your question. Regions have the ability to determine their own point system for sports other than football. Please reach out to your school’s AD for more details. Thanks again.

Chris Robinson

Assistant Director

Virginia High School League

I have talked to a Richlands assistant coach just a few minutes ago that told me the Region D scoring system, so I may figure up the points for Region D sometime tomorrow and post them.

If the formula I have for Region D is correct, then Region D currently looks like this:

Boys:

1. Gate City
2. Graham
3. John Battle
4. Grayson County
5. Union
6. Richlands
7. Lebanon
8. Wise Central

9. Marion
10. Virginia High
11. Ridgeview
12. Lee High
13. Tazewell

Girls:

1. Wise Central
2. Ridgeview
3. Virginia High
4. Lebanon
5. Gate City
6. Union
7. Tazewell

8. John Battle
9. Marion
10. Richlands
11. Graham
12. Grayson County
13. Lee High

The unique situation with the girls is that I was told only a max of 4 teams per district are going to make it to the Region D tournament, so since Battle would be the 5th M7 team, that eliminates them and moves Marion in for the moment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT