ADVERTISEMENT

Hungry Like The Wolf

I don't like the pressure of the position or pay, but for those who know me, I love to learn. I looked at some comparisons for the combine and will get some info out tonight if I get the opportunity. The 1982 Team at GW-Danville would have given my beloved Generals of 2013 a run for their money. Still think they are the best team I have ever seen in the VHSL. We (PH-Roanoke) were good, but could not match up athlete for athlete. Coldest darn game ever as well. Bo Blankenship dropped three passes and he never missed anything. Footballs were like cinder blocks.

You put up a number of excellent players that, I agree, would still be elite today. I also agree that history says something about a program like the Packers or the Steelers. The expectations are always higher by the fans. Even the Raiders are specialized in their self image. But none of those early teams that set the tone can play with today's squads. For this reason, I see long history as a nice drive down memory lane but not really relevant. iMO.
I think we agree and are saying the same thing at the pro and possibly college level. Where we may disagree is how bigger, faster, stronger has translated at the high school level. As with both know that is a disagreement that, at best, might be tilted in favor of one or the other depending on the statistics we choose but, really only serves the purpose to kill time until the first week of August. I'll ask you this, you are clearly familiar with Courtland, James Wood and the Fredericksburg area, how would you compare current era teams of say the last ten years to prior era teams going back more than 10 years at those schools and in the area, in general.

This is a great discussion (bigger, faster and stronger); however, after reviewing state statistics I found myself wondering. Read and decide for yourself.

Bigger: Todays linebackers are yesterday's offense and defensive lineman. Jeez, some of todays quarterbacks are bigger than the offensive lineman I played with in the early eighties. NFL statistics show very little deviation in rb's; however, o lineman, receiver height, and quarterback size have increased through the years. Defensively, the NFL shows a marked increase in size at all positions. Is this a fact, trend, or necessity?

Faster: I thought about how I could compare this element (speed) and realistically I cant. I did research the VHSL boys track records and was surprised by how many sprint, hurdle and long distance records were recorded prior to ten years ago ( I realize hand timing may have something to do with it). While reviewing the all time fastest 40 times at the NFL combine (electronic only) 6 occurred before 2006 and only 5 have occurred in the past five years. 10 players have faster times than the current record (Bo Jackson, Darrell Green Michael Bennett and Deon Sanders to name a few), but they were hand timed. Personally, I think the offenses being used and the increase in speed of the current lineman, tight ends, safeties and linebackers lead us to say the current athlete is indeed faster.

Stronger: With today's weight training programs, nutrition, and off season workouts the strength element is a given. "Country Strong" may still work, but not over the long haul.

Technology has played a major role in the above factors as well. When comparing todays equipment (shoes, pads, helmets) one will quickly realize just how heavy the equipment of old was. Current helmets weigh between, 3 to 5 pounds as opposed to 6 to eight pounds of yesteryear. Todays pads are extremely lighter and the shoes weigh 1/2 pound each. The studs of yesteryear weighed that much.
What about the gloves LOL. That is a huge difference. Shoulder pads are way smaller. You can look at video anytime, anywhere-that is a huge difference. The helmets are actually heavier now compared to the Riddell Kra-Lite suspension helmets. You cannot block below the waist downfield anymore and other rules changes. The football laces have a lot more grip.

I don't like the pressure of the position or pay, but for those who know me, I love to learn. I looked at some comparisons for the combine and will get some info out tonight if I get the opportunity. The 1982 Team at GW-Danville would have given my beloved Generals of 2013 a run for their money. Still think they are the best team I have ever seen in the VHSL. We (PH-Roanoke) were good, but could not match up athlete for athlete. Coldest darn game ever as well. Bo Blankenship dropped three passes and he never missed anything. Footballs were like cinder blocks.
GW 1982 had 6 D1's including two future All ACC's and a pro bowler. We beat LT 58-15 on a 67 degree Dec day in front of 9000 people.

If the pay is all that is in the way of your ordination, I will personally "triple match" the current pay rate for the position. (And we will get you a Prozac prescription for the other concern).

GW must have been a hell of a team in 82' for you to say that, since you know the 2013 Generals as good as anybody.

All cold games for folks from Dinwiddie are measured against the game that Dinwiddie lost to Phoebus at VT. ("First Down" Jamie has still not thawed out!)

Reactions: mike salem
You put up a number of excellent players that, I agree, would still be elite today. I also agree thathistory says something about a program like the Packers or the Steeler or the Celtics. The expectations are always higher by the fans. Even the Raiders are specialized in their self image. But none of those early teams that set the tone can play with today's squads. For this reason, I see long history as a nice drive down memory lane but not really relevant. iMO.
I have to agree. Those teams were good, disciplined, well coached and most importantly fundamentally sound, but how could Pat Fisher form the Redskins cover todays tall wide receivers without being able to maul them. The Packers sweep would get destroyed by todays speedy and huge linebackers and as good as the Steelers were they would have trouble moving the current d-lines of today. Two exceptions, Lawrence Taylor would still be able to play effectively in today's game and Dan Marino and his quick release would be quite efficient with todays offenses.

What about the gloves LOL. That is a huge difference. Shoulder pads are way smaller. You can look at video anytime, anywhere-that is a huge difference. The helmets are actually heavier now compared to the Riddell Kra-Lite suspension helmets. You cannot block below the waist downfield anymore and other rules changes. The football laces have a lot more grip.

Hey Tommy, Navy can say more about this but, Dinwiddie got new gloves right before a game last year. Nobody could hold on to the darn ball that night. I thought Navy was going down on the field and rip the gloves off of their hands.

GW 1982 had 6 D1's including two future All ACC's and a pro bowler. We beat LT 58-15 on a 67 degree Dec day in front of 9000 people.
There were a few other small college players on that squad as well and two more D-1's that didn't get there for various and sundry personal reasons.

Hey Tommy, Navy can say more about this but, Dinwiddie got new gloves right before a game last year. Nobody could hold on to the darn ball that night. I thought Navy was going down on the field and rip the gloves off of their hands.
Ones I have seen, I could palm a basketball. Most players I have seen where different brands.

DP and tommy it was as cold as a well diggers butt at GW that night and sleeting as well. Even if it was sunny and 70 they would have whipped us. Just an unreal team top to bottom. I think we (PH) were the only team to play them close that year.

I have to agree. Those teams were good, disciplined, well coached and most importantly fundamentally sound, but how could Pat Fisher form the Redskins cover todays tall wide receivers without being able to maul them. The Packers sweep would get destroyed by todays speedy and huge linebackers and as good as the Steelers were they would have trouble moving the current d-lines of today. Two exceptions, Lawrence Taylor would still be able to play effectively in today's game and Dan Marino and his quick release would be quite efficient with todays offenses.
Back you could maul a receiver in the NFL down the field, DL could headslap and cream the qb.

DP and tommy it was as cold as a well diggers butt at GW that night and sleeting as well. Even if it was sunny and 70 they would have whipped us. Just an unreal team top to bottom. I think we (PH) were the only team to play them close that year.
The Patriots gave GW a tough game in the first round 20-7. The next week Pulaski came to town and lost 38-7. Heard a lot of money changed hands out of PC fans after that one. Mount Vernon was a wild game up there.

You named two of my favorite all time players. Even John Madden still considers LT the greatest defensive player ever. :)

The Patriots gave GW a tough game in the first round 20-7. The next week Pulaski came to town and lost 38-7. Heard a lot of money changed hands out of PC fans after that one. Mount Vernon was a wild game up there.
Billy Myers and the Cougar got to roar on the opening kickoff. Not so much after that. As far as PH, players I knew on that team still say to this day PH gave them their toughest game that year. Said they could just never get comfortable that night.

Hate the gloves, but I know they help. In high school we used a jar of stickem (Isaac Hayes lol...) and prior to being outlawed a spray that was in every Cramer kit along with the red hot, salt and glucose tablets. My dad used to take a handkerchief and rub it on our old pine tree and put it on my hands before games. Needed paint remover to get it off.

Hate the gloves, but I know they help. In high school we used a jar of stickem (Isaac Hayes lol...) and prior to being outlawed a spray that was in every Cramer kit along with the red hot, salt and glucose tablets. My dad used to take a handkerchief and rub it on our old pine tree and put it on my hands before games. Needed paint remover to get it off.
Now you really are dating yourself. Think you're confusing John Shaft with Lester though.;-)

Billy Myers and the Cougar got to roar on the opening kickoff. Not so much after that. As far as PH, players I knew on that team still say to this day PH gave them their toughest game that year. Said they could just never get comfortable that night.
Another nightmare the "Cougar Roar". I hated that darn thing. 1981 and 1982 were two classic matchups between PH and Pulaski. Crowds were huge. Playing at Pulaski was no fun either. Great fans and passionate as heck. We came down the steps and one fan spit tobacco juice right on my buddies jersey (Elvin McCombs). The crazy fool growled, wiped it with his hands and licked it. The Pulaski fan almost turned green. They knew they could not intimidate us. If a fan did that today they would be put in jail. We loved it.

Now you really are dating yourself. Think you're confusing John Shaft with Lester though.;-)
Too funny. You are right Lester Hayes. Did you know he had speech therapy in Roanoke to correct his stuttering problem?

Too funny. You are right Lester Hayes. Did you know he had speech therapy in Roanoke to correct his stuttering problem?
I had forgotten that but, now that you mention it I recall hearing something about that. One other tidbit about that year, while 20-7 was not their closest game on the scoreboard, two early season tilts (Fleming 7-0 and Hillside Durham 10-6), if memory serves correct, were viewed as working the kinks out. You guys got their best shot. Still enjoy picking at Bo when I see him from time to time, as a teammate I think you would agree he has a little competitive streak. Enjoyed the discussion and reminiscing.

The game got away when PC fumbled early around their own 40. At the end of the first half, Keeta Covington carried about 5 cougars in to the endzone.

Another nightmare the "Cougar Roar". I hated that darn thing. 1981 and 1982 were two classic matchups between PH and Pulaski. Crowds were huge. Playing at Pulaski was no fun either. Great fans and passionate as heck. We came down the steps and one fan spit tobacco juice right on my buddies jersey (Elvin McCombs). The crazy fool growled, wiped it with his hands and licked it. The Pulaski fan almost turned green. They knew they could not intimidate us. If a fan did that today they would be put in jail. We loved it.
In 74 we had to walk a long ways from the school to the field at PC. A lot of folks were giving us the business.

I had forgotten that but, now that you mention it I recall hearing something about that. One other tidbit about that year, while 20-7 was not their closest game on the scoreboard, two early season tilts (Fleming 7-0 and Hillside Durham 10-6), if memory serves correct, were viewed as working the kinks out. You guys got their best shot. Still enjoy picking at Bo when I see him from time to time, as a teammate I think you would agree he has a little competitive streak. Enjoyed the discussion and reminiscing.
You are correct. GW began to hit the stride around the Glass game. Interestingly, Fleming has always given GW a hard time.

I have heard other SW Va tales of sitting tobacco juice going wayyy back.

Cramer Atomic Balm could be placed on a toilet seat as a prank.

Cramer Atomic Balm could be placed on a toilet seat as a prank.
Too funny. We put it in Bob Harley's (fb) jock one night and he ran for 150 yards. Lol..... Speaking of Harley, he ran for 600 yards and 8 td's in a jr. high (jackson) game against Addison. Two more were called back because of an illegal crack back block (guilty), but what would you expect. I weighed 100 lbs. Against a 250 lb. Overstreet kid who starred at Fleming.

Pine tar. I love it. Used it all the time in baseball but it proved very beneficial as a Soccer Goalie. Better than spit. And yes, you definitely needed an acetone or petroleum based product to remove it. Gasoline was my go to.

But, I've experimented with the football gloves more than a few times. It made it so easy, I only caught balls with one hand. I don't know how a receiver can miss with those things. When I Coached the youth kids, I wouldn't let them wear them in practice but it made their hands like fly paper come game time. It's like golf clubs. You don't buy the flat blades till you know how to hit the ball.

Too funny. We put it in Bob Harley's (fb) jock one night and he ran for 150 yards. Lol..... Speaking of Harley, he ran for 600 yards and 8 td's in a jr. high (jackson) game against Addison. Two more were called back because of an illegal crack back block (guilty), but what would you expect. I weighed 100 lbs. Against a 250 lb. Overstreet kid who starred at Fleming.
I would rather get pounded again than crack back a kid. I also don't believe in the chop block, even though it's permitted on the line of scrimmage. I've never taught it to any kid Iever Coached.

I would rather get pounded again than crack back a kid. I also don't believe in the chop block, even though it's permitted on the line of scrimmage. I've never taught it to any kid Iever Coached.
The block was part of the Delaware Offense we used. It was not intended to be illegal or hurt anyone. I simply mistimed my motion therefore being penalized for the block. Stone Bridge ran a similar play several years ago and occasionally got penalized. Funny about the pounding part. That happened on every play and it was expected. Price you pay when you are a very undersized running back. No complaint and certainly helped build my character.

Bleeding Navy is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known in my life. If we all lived our life by his example, the world would be a lot better place. I take exception to any insinuation to the contrary.

Bleeding Navy is one of the finest gentlemen I have ever known in my life. If we all lived our life by his example, the world would be a lot better place. I take exception to any insinuation to the contrary.
Thanks, but dont fret the small stuff DP. I was talking about Jr. High football. I was 5'0" tall and trying to block someone a foot taller. Truth be known, i would had to launch myself in the air to make contact with the DE's shoulder pads. Not worth discussing anyway just trying to see if anyone rembered Harley.

Once again old reliable made an assumption and wrecked a good hearted discussion about football in the Roanoke Valley in the 80's.

By the way Shanti what level did you coach football? I am sure your team went unpenalized, did not make mental mistakes, and executed perfectly.

There you go again Navy, padding your resume. You were 4'11", ( and less than 100lbs, as I recall)! How dare you use every trick in the book to try to block a 220lb brute!

I think we are graduating a version of you next month? Little Reggie Williams! All 5' 125 LB's of him.

By the way, I don't think you are exactly at your playing weight these days? Maybe one or two lbs over? (I've really got a lot of room to talk!)

Thanks, but dont fret the small stuff DP. I was talking about Jr. High football. I was 5'0" tall and trying to block someone a foot taller. Truth be known, i would had to launch myself in the air to make contact with the DE's shoulder pads. Not worth discussing anyway just trying to see if anyone rembered Harley.

Once again old reliable made an assumption and wrecked a good hearted discussion about football in the Roanoke Valley in the 80's.

By the way Shanti what level did you coach football? I am sure your team went unpenalized, did not make mental mistakes, and executed perfectly.
Understand being 5' tall getting into HS. I was there myself. Fortunately, we had no Football team so I did not have to take the pounding I did in the youth leagues. Although, I do look back and take some pride in the fact that even though I was one of the smallest players, I was still the MLB.

I get the sarcasm and probably deserve it. :confused: It was also good. But no, my Football teams (all Youth Leagues) were hardly perfect and I have never won a Championship with any of my Football teams. I do place the caveat that I refused to participate in the Spotsy County "draft" of Players. My team was always made up of the kids no one wanted and I always had girls on my squad (one of which was the best Center I ever had).

Oooooooh. That reminds me. Her Mother, a single Mom Marine, was a total MILF. But I put that behind me because she'd have tore me up. Plus, the ex would have done the same but in a different way. Just out of principle. Self preservation ruled the day. But I digress.

I am also proud that my band of unwanted "losers" made it to the finals 4 out of 6 years. Mostly with smoke and mirrors but they had fun and it brought their self confidence level up a big notch. Opposing Coach's hated us. We were constantly accused of cheating. I had to have the rule book on my person at all times.

Travel Soccer and baseball teams I Coached fared quite a bit better. I always loved playing Sports but learning how to be a good Coach took a while. I was not good at first. Knowing how to play and teaching how to play are very different things.

You still have my vote for 4A researcher and, again, good sarcasm is always appreciated.:D

Reactions: BleedingNavy
No disrespect DP but you're a total politician. You say this same type of stuff about everyone. At this point, it seems disingenuous.

Shaunt would still like to hear your take on my earlier question. For Courtland and James Wood, specifically, and the Fredericksburg area in general how would you compare the teams(quality of play and personnel) of recent years(say last 10 for cutoff purposes) to teams from earlier years?

Shaunt would still like to hear your take on my earlier question. For Courtland and James Wood, specifically, and the Fredericksburg area in general how would you compare the teams(quality of play and personnel) of recent years(say last 10 for cutoff purposes) to teams from earlier years?
I think you mean James Monroe cut, in reference to the Fredericksburg school, not James Wood near Winchester?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT