ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead To Next Season

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Obviously Riverheads and Galax will continue to be in the mix. But who else could you see make a run?

Obviously Riverheads and Galax will continue to be in the mix. But who else could you see make a run?
Im not sure Galax gets back to this game next year. No disrespect intended toward them but this years team is nowhere near the caliber of last years team with Dixon at the helm. Allen is a good coach but he is not Dixon. They lose almost all of their skill players and you just cant replace Pickett. They had some close games this year that without Pickett and company I dont think they win. I see them taking a big step back. I think GW possibly comes out of the C/D side. I honestly dont see anybody in B threatening Riv, the disparity was huge between Riv and the rest of B this year and I dont see it changing next year since Riv returns the majority of their team and has some studs coming up from JV. Region A , Essex, Sussex and Franklin are always tough, not sure how not having played in almost 2 years will affect those programs. If I was a betting man tho I wouldnt bet against Sussex or Essex coming out of A. I know Sussex was young in 2019 so they should have quite a few seniors this fall and challenge for the A title if they can overcome 2 years of not playing. Cant wait to get 2021 season started, going to be a lot of unknowns. Thats whats great about high school football, a new crop of players every year.

Reactions: Bama1985
Im not sure Galax gets back to this game next year. No disrespect intended toward them but this years team is nowhere near the caliber of last years team with Dixon at the helm. Allen is a good coach but he is not Dixon. They lose almost all of their skill players and you just cant replace Pickett. They had some close games this year that without Pickett and company I dont think they win. I see them taking a big step back. I think GW possibly comes out of the C/D side. I honestly dont see anybody in B threatening Riv, the disparity was huge between Riv and the rest of B this year and I dont see it changing next year since Riv returns the majority of their team and has some studs coming up from JV. Region A , Essex, Sussex and Franklin are always tough, not sure how not having played in almost 2 years will affect those programs. If I was a betting man tho I wouldnt bet against Sussex or Essex coming out of A. I know Sussex was young in 2019 so they should have quite a few seniors this fall and challenge for the A title if they can overcome 2 years of not playing. Cant wait to get 2021 season started, going to be a lot of unknowns. Thats whats great about high school football, a new crop of players every year.
Don't forget that Sussex and Franklin are Region B

Central Lunenburg will be better than this year. They return a bunch of sophomores and juniors. I don't know anything about West Point or any other team in the East. In the west, Galax will be good, but likely a notch down from this year. They lose a lot. Narrows will be slightly down from this year with what they lose up front. Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, and JI Burton will all be much better than this year George Wythe has a bunch of talent back. In the west, I really think 6 teams in Galax, George Wythe, Narrows, JI Burton, Patrick Henry, and Chilhowie will all be very very close. I can't see any team in the West making it a close game with Riverheads next year. They are just to far behind.......but............

It's not this coming year in the fall of 2021 (4-5 months) but watch out for those Bandana kids from Giles in 2022. Keep in mind Giles is dropping to 1A. Giles is sitting on a goldmine of talent in grades 6 through 9. When this year's freshmen become juniors in 2022 of the fall, I can assure you they will be right back in the mix and the talent there in my opinion from seeing it first hand will possibly be the one to get Riverheads or whoever it faces. This is just my opinion, but Giles is going to be a major, major problem in 1A in 2022 through at least 2025. The kids they have coming up have been talked about since 2nd grade over there and the talent is obvious. Giles has really be down and take its knocks and beatings. It will not stay that way. I promise you.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Central Lunenburg will be better than this year. They return a bunch of sophomores and juniors. I don't know anything about West Point or any other team in the East. In the west, Galax will be good, but likely a notch down from this year. They lose a lot. Narrows will be slightly down from this year with what they lose up front. Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, and JI Burton will all be much better than this year George Wythe has a bunch of talent back. In the west, I really think 6 teams in Galax, George Wythe, Narrows, JI Burton, Patrick Henry, and Chilhowie will all be very very close. I can't see any team in the West making it a close game with Riverheads next year. They are just to far behind.......but............

It's not this coming year in the fall of 2021 (4-5 months) but watch out for those Bandana kids from Giles in 2022. Keep in mind Giles is dropping to 1A. Giles is sitting on a goldmine of talent in grades 6 through 9. When this year's freshmen become juniors in 2022 of the fall, I can assure you they will be right back in the mix and the talent there in my opinion from seeing it first hand will possibly be the one to get Riverheads or whoever it faces. This is just my opinion, but Giles is going to be a major, major problem in 1A in 2022 through at least 2025. The kids they have coming up have been talked about since 2nd grade over there and the talent is obvious. Giles has really be down and take its knocks and beatings. It will not stay that way. I promise you.
In Region A, most of the teams that played this season were all fairly young. West Point only had like 5 seniors and return most of their starters. King and Queen will return all of their top skill guys. Northumberland returns their stud in Camden Seldon and most of their team. Of course, Essex, Washington and Lee, and Colonial Beach should return in the fall. I don't know exactly what any of those schools have returning since it will have been nearly 2 years since they've last played a game. Obviously Essex always has athletes and size and before Covid hit, they had been the class of Region A. W&L would have returned a lot from the 2019 season, but I'm not sure how many of those are seniors this year and I am not even sure who the coach is for the Eagles, as it was never announced after Joe Taylor resigned. As for Colonial Beach, I think I remember that they had a good little freshman rb in 2019 and the Drifters are always scrappy.

Is Giles moving down this coming 2021 season? As a guy who has always loved Giles from afar, got to speak with Steve Ragsdale in regards to the single wing and picked his brain and who learned their system from the former coaches at Staunton River, who learned it directly from Ragsdale, I'm excited to hear that the Spartans have a bright future. I'm biased, but to me, there's nothing more beautiful than watching the single wing, when it's hitting on all cylinders

Is Giles moving down this coming 2021 season? As a guy who has always loved Giles from afar, got to speak with Steve Ragsdale in regards to the single wing and picked his brain and who learned their system from the former coaches at Staunton River, who learned it directly from Ragsdale, I'm excited to hear that the Spartans have a bright future. I'm biased, but to me, there's nothing more beautiful than watching the single wing, when it's hitting on all cylinders
Yes

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Did you take in consideration all the players Galax lost from last years team? They replaced almost all their o and d lines this year and some very valuable skill players as well. Even if Dixon had still been there this year I don't see this team being much better than they were. In my opinion Shane Allen done one of hell of job stepping in and replacing Dixon. With that being said it will be very hard to replace Pickett, Barnes and Beaman so we will see how they handle that come August.

Did you take in consideration all the players Galax lost from last years team? They replaced almost all their o and d lines this year and some very valuable skill players as well. Even if Dixon had still been there this year I don't see this team being much better than they were. In my opinion Shane Allen done one of hell of job stepping in and replacing Dixon. With that being said it will be very hard to replace Pickett, Barnes and Beaman so we will see how they handle that come August.
I know they lost some lineman on both sides of the ball, I was making my observation not just on ydays game but on games throughout the season where they seemed to struggle against opponents I would have thought they handled easily. GW 7-0 and didnt score until the last few minutes of the game. Narrows, didnt score in the 2nd half, only 17 against FC. I realize this has been a different kind of year with the unknowns because of covid and the longer period between seasons. I just didnt think they were as consistent of a team that they were last year with basically the same skill players except for Denver Brown and I know he was a huge part of last years offense. Everybody expected them to be back in it this year, without Pickett, Barnes and Beaman I just dont think it happens next season but thats just my opinion, guess we will find out in about 6 months.

Galax has some ball players coming from the middle school squad that will be very good. The 5-7 grades have a ton of players including some pretty large ball players. They return all their line except for 1. There were skill guys on the sidelines that come back. And if Reeves #7 stays. He could really change a lot. I think Galax may drop a few early but I think when district play starts they will be hitting their stride. Like Dixon, Allen has scheduled a very tough schedule. I think they added Graham and Glenvar will be back in there as well. Time will tell but the middle school team they had this year was special and when those kids get to play together it will be something.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
The talent drop off of Galax the
The drop off in talent with Galax this spring to fall is no where near as big as it was from last year to this year. Light years difference. This was by far the youngest team Galax has fielded in years. There was only a few returning starters from last year. Galax lost some huge talent last year on top of losing Dixon which is a game/season changer within itself. Galax will return 3/4 of its starters from this year's squad and a good portion are real young. The offensive and defensive line was the real question mark going into the season and they played phenominal all year and will only be better with all but none coming back.

Although losing Pickett, Beaman and Barnes will be loses. This team will be loaded for the next 4 years at minimum.

Allen is not Dixon but he did a hell of. A job this year in my opinion especially with limited practices and preseason.

GW certainly be in the mix as well as they have talent coming up. If Giles can return to former glory it will be fun in the west.

The talent drop off of Galax the

The drop off in talent with Galax this spring to fall is no where near as big as it was from last year to this year. Light years difference. This was by far the youngest team Galax has fielded in years. There was only a few returning starters from last year. Galax lost some huge talent last year on top of losing Dixon which is a game/season changer within itself. Galax will return 3/4 of its starters from this year's squad and a good portion are real young. The offensive and defensive line was the real question mark going into the season and they played phenominal all year and will only be better with all but none coming back.

Although losing Pickett, Beaman and Barnes will be loses. This team will be loaded for the next 4 years at minimum.

Allen is not Dixon but he did a hell of. A job this year in my opinion especially with limited practices and preseason.

GW certainly be in the mix as well as they have talent coming up. If Giles can return to former glory it will be fun in the west.
Giles will be good I feel. You could see it watching them and Narrows play. There were undersized and until the started to get too cute with play action passes they were driving the ball well. Sadly I don’t have a dog in the fight until my 6th grader makes it up there but it will be fun to watch.

If the VHSL goes to the 4 classifications in the next instead of 6 they have now, it could be a different field of 1A teams to be discussing. Game changer here.

Reactions: Optimal62
If the VHSL goes to the 4 classifications in the next instead of 6 they have now, it could be a different field of 1A teams to be discussing. Game changer here.

That sucks.

I know they lost some lineman on both sides of the ball, I was making my observation not just on ydays game but on games throughout the season where they seemed to struggle against opponents I would have thought they handled easily. GW 7-0 and didnt score until the last few minutes of the game. Narrows, didnt score in the 2nd half, only 17 against FC. I realize this has been a different kind of year with the unknowns because of covid and the longer period between seasons. I just didnt think they were as consistent of a team that they were last year with basically the same skill players except for Denver Brown and I know he was a huge part of last years offense. Everybody expected them to be back in it this year, without Pickett, Barnes and Beaman I just dont think it happens next season but thats just my opinion, guess we will find out in about 6 months.
We also lost last years top receiver who was a game changer at times. As for some of games they struggled in this year, Fort has always give them a fit even when Dixon was there. We lost some games to Fort when people thought Galax had the better team and GW give us a fit when Dixon was there when everyone thought Galax should of rolled them. Guess what im saying is even when Dixon was there we had a couple of games a year we seemed to struggle in. With that being said its almost impossible to replace a coach like Dixon but I think Allen done a good job this year and time will tell if he can continue the success that Dixon got started at Galax.

Last edited:
It could be an interesting year for sure coming up. I think the young Franklin and Sussex teams playing in B could be a surprise to many.
In A Essex being back on the field will certainly be in the mix along with the usual contenders.
Burton and PH should be in the mix in D.

I do think Galax will be right in the thick of things along with GW. I haven’t watched anything on the younger group from Galax but I can’t imagine you have another Pickett in the wings. With the line that everyone is staying returns, what did the run game look like? I was honestly not concerned about it after the 1st two or three plays and I have a hard time believing that there are better players sitting than Barnes and Beeman. Reeves is fast but I didn’t see him run inside at all so I doubt he will be a feature back in the pistol that they have ran these last few years. Could be different if they go a different direction on O. I will say all day long that they are a very good team with a good coach and my opinion is not meant to downplay the year they had. I am just not on the hype train that they can replace Pickett, Beeman and Barnes right away.

I will add that Riley Vaught is a stud and does things that don’t always get his name called but that young man is a beast. I know he popped his shoulder in the third and had it hanging by his side and he never stopped coming. Tons of respect for him and he will only be a Jr so he will wreak havoc for two more seasons on anyone they face.

It could be an interesting year for sure coming up. I think the young Franklin and Sussex teams playing in B could be a surprise to many.
In A Essex being back on the field will certainly be in the mix along with the usual contenders.

I do think Galax will be right in the thick of things along with GW. I haven’t watched anything on the younger group from Galax but I can’t imagine you have another Pickett in the wings. With the line that everyone is staying returns, what did the run game look like? I was honestly not concerned about it after the 1st two or three plays and I have a hard time believing that there are better players sitting than Barnes and Beeman. Reeves is fast but I didn’t see him run inside at all so I doubt he will be a feature back in the pistol that they have ran these last few years. Could be different if they go a different direction on O. I will say all day long that they are a very good team with a good coach and my opinion is not meant to downplay the year they had. I am just not on the hype train that they can replace Pickett, Beeman and Barnes right away.
That is what was said last year as well. Then the local schools got all excited because Dixon left and thought Galax would fall off to a non contender. But there they was in the mix. Lol so there that's and the hype is just that hype. In the end it doesn't matter if you are on it or not.
It is always tuff losing a three year starting QB, especially with the athletic ability that Pickett kid had. Yet I think he replaced a four year starter.

The Ashworth kid will be missed as a receiver as he will transition to the QB I assume because he was phenomenal in jv.

Chilhowie will be interesting as I don't remember any school going from good and falling off to nothing as quickly as that school did. Curious to see if they are rebuilding or was those two years just blips.

Holston will certainly miss their QB and Narrows will still struggle because the competition they play during the year. Grayson is years away from being relavant. Curious as to how many Burton returns.

Again the alignment will greatly affect as to who is playing where, as FC, River Heads, Giles, Galax, GC and other big schools will be affected. Giles, GC and FC may find themselves back up in the 2A ranks after a year of 1A.

Plus Casto has one year left on his contract. Is he coming back or will RH be in the same boat that Galax, Richlands, Radford and others have found themselves in lately.

Don’t know that we do replace those 3 right away. But there are some very good players coming that run the same offense. QB is going to take some time. Our backup is #1 who is a tremendous athlete. He had a ton of success in JV running the same offense. There’s also quite a few lineman that played on defense that never made it on the offensive side. One being a 2 time state champ in wrestling that will help us a ton. Like I said we play a tough schedule next season but it will get us ready for district play and deep run again. Allen loves the weight room just like Dixon and these boys will continue. My 6th grader is already in the weight room and knows what it takes watching big brother. We have some football players coming trust me.

That is what was said last year as well. Then the local schools got all excited because Dixon left and thought Galax would fall off to a non contender. But there they was in the mix. Lol so there that's and the hype is just that hype. In the end it doesn't matter if you are on it or not.
It is always tuff losing a three year starting QB, especially with the athletic ability that Pickett kid had. Yet I think he replaced a four year starter.

The Ashworth kid will be missed as a receiver as he will transition to the QB I assume because he was phenomenal in jv.

Chilhowie will be interesting as I don't remember any school going from good and falling off to nothing as quickly as that school did. Curious to see if they are rebuilding or was those two years just blips.

Holston will certainly miss their QB and Narrows will still struggle because the competition they play during the year. Grayson is years away from being relavant. Curious as to how many Burton returns.

Again the alignment will greatly affect as to who is playing where, as FC, River Heads, Giles, Galax, GC and other big schools will be affected. Giles, GC and FC may find themselves back up in the 2A ranks after a year of 1A.

Plus Casto has one year left on his contract. Is he coming back or will RH be in the same boat that Galax, Richlands, Radford and others have found themselves in lately.
Pickett was a four year starter

A replacement for Casto will be needed in the next year or so. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stick around longer. How do you walk away from what he has been instrumental in building?

As for the hype train, I will say again that you guys will be in the mix. But until I see it next year nobody will convince me that there will not be a huge drop off from Pickett to whomever replaces him. Allen did a great job this year as did any coach that was able to navigate this crazy shortened season.

A replacement for Casto will be needed in the next year or so. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him stick around longer. How do you walk away from what he has been instrumental in building?

As for the hype train, I will say again that you guys will be in the mix. But until I see it next year nobody will convince me that there will not be a huge drop off from Pickett to whomever replaces him. Allen did a great job this year as did any coach that was able to navigate this crazy shortened season.
Full disclosure I am not associated with Galax just a neighboring school who is looking at things from he outside in. Alot of excitement in the west in a few years. But in kept telling people not to write Galax off we will see how they do next year.

I thought picket split time with the other QB as a freshmen?

I have just skimmed some of these posts here this morning so I might have missed this if it has been mentioned but keep in mind that Buffalo Gap drops down to 1-A this fall. They have a strong program and gave Stuarts Draft a pair of at least somewhat competitive games this spring, plus they had a nice JV team. Of course they would have to face Riverheads in the Region B playoffs and the Gladiators have had their number for something like the last 10 years or so, but they could still be capable of knocking another team or two out of the mix.

I have just skimmed some of these posts here this morning so I might have missed this if it has been mentioned but keep in mind that Buffalo Gap drops down to 1-A this fall. They have a strong program and gave Stuarts Draft a pair of at least somewhat competitive games this spring, plus they had a nice JV team. Of course they would have to face Riverheads in the Region B playoffs and the Gladiators have had their number for something like the last 10 years or so, but they could still be capable of knocking another team or two out of the mix.
I agree but they aren’t recruiting the hallways enough. There are even more awesome hosted that simply haven’t come out to play. Maybe they compete in the region but it’s pretty big jump for them to overcome their cross county rival IMO.

Reactions: BGfootball95

He said in his post game interview yesterday barring some health issues he is definitely coming back for 2021 and possibly longer, that his health is good and he still enjoys coaching. IMO the change in Administration at the High School is the only reason he retired, and when that change decided to depart he came back. Dont know that for a fact but its one helluva coincidence.

Gap is still going to be at least a year away from giving RHS a competitive half, much less a full game. Also does not help that the sophmore class from RHS this year is special in my opinion. Then throw in the "freak" and a couple other freshman playmakers they had this year.... RHS is just going to keep rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT