ADVERTISEMENT

Question about Broadway

Aug 6, 2018
Havent heard any chatter about the valley yet so I figured I’d see what’s going on. I know fans at several of the schools and most seem pretty optimistic (which everyone is until you start playing). I do have a few questions about Broadway though. Word is they only have 24 players on the varsity roster as of now. They had 26 coming into training camp but lost one of their best players (don’t know why but he left camp) early last week, and lost an experienced senior later in the week due to coach/player conflict over work demands. I’m all about only being able to put 11 players on the field at a time but this sounds ridiculous. Broadway has always had a proud community, whether they were winning or not. Only having this few players doesn’t make sense. Sounds like they have quality, but what happens when the injury bug bites (because it always does somewhere along the way). Is there anyone in the know who can shed light on this? I saw the article about the team in the dnr today and it certainly paints a pretty picture, but is it accurate? And does anyone know how the other valley teams are looking?

Regarding your Broadway post, looks like everything you stated is true. Very low numbers, but good quality kids. Just have to hope they have one of those magical seasons where they stay relatively healthy. The two kids you mentioned leaving the team is accurate also. The kid I would venture to say was their best all around player, the Morgan kid, left the team last Monday night. Then one of the seniors, Collier, was supposedly given an ultimatum regarding work and football and he walked also. Both kids were two way starters and would have made a big difference this year. Some of the others had been contemplating whether to stay or not, but at least for now, those are the only ones who have quit. Not sure what is going on but it’s not characteristic of Broadway kids that just up and quit.

As far as the other area schools go I’ve only heard information from the local news. TA lost a lot in the skill area, but seem to have some pieces back that will fill in nicely. Spotswood is the team to wonder about. Last years senior class was a pretty good group of football players. On their tv spot, they said they feel they have better team speed than last year. I know the running back is pretty good, but not sure about the rest. Everything at Harrisonburg will likely run through the Robinson-Jenkins kid. If he stays healthy they will likely be hard to beat. As always, it’s a guessing game until games start. Should be fun to watch each week

Pretty simple..... NOBODY wants to play for those coaches. Mark my words it will only get worse until the AD sees the light and makes a change.

Yes, same guys. They’ve had pretty much the same staff for quite a while now. Each year they usually have a young coach come for a year but they don’t usually stay. The rest are consistent. The soldier tribute is a very respectable and worthy cause but there are a lot of other things going on there that are starting to make people wonder.

Yes, same guys. They’ve had pretty much the same staff for quite a while now. Each year they usually have a young coach come for a year but they don’t usually stay. The rest are consistent. The soldier tribute is a very respectable and worthy cause but there are a lot of other things going on there that are starting to make people wonder.

They had really dropped off the last time SD played them and seemed to not get much better. I believe the last time I saw them play I thought Fort Defiance looked better and that was right in Forts winless streak.

That is a respectable thing to do, but sometimes a change is needed

Last night I decided to take in a scrimmage and I decided to go see broadway/central instead of ta/east rock. The first thing I wanted to see was if the numbers issue truly is an issue for Broadway. When I saw them take the field I was pleasantly surprised that they seemed to have numbers in the thirties instead of the 20’s. I mentioned that to some of the fans around me (parents, because that’s pretty much all that was there for Broadway) and they said it was a little deceiving. Apparently about 10 of the players dressed are jv freshmen who will dress on Friday nights. That explains the numbers question. I asked why so low a number and they pointed out multiple issues, some already discussed here. However, there was one thing I hadn’t heard yet. Apparently not one of last years freshmen jv players came back out as sophomores this year. I asked why and was told they didn’t want to play for the coaches. I left it at that and didn’t dig further.
So the scrimmage started and broadways offense was held on the first drive. Centrals offense took the field and their best receiver went up the middle for a long touchdown pass. He ran right by the free safety and caught the ball for the score. At that point I noticed the free safety didn’t exactly look like he fit size wise with the rest of the players, so of course I asked (maybe I shouldn’t have done that, lol). I was told that he is the teams “spiritual advidor’s” son, a freshman, who didn’t play as an eighth grader (private school) and was pulled up this summer to varsity. I asked if he has a great skill set, and was told “not really, just the right parents, lol”. Got a major sense that this is a sensitive issue with the parents and the players, but once again I left it alone.
So broadway got the ball back and put together a good drive to score. Now the next issue. The Collier kid who quit due to a work conflict with the coach was the teams kicker. They had the Cruz kid try to kick extra points but that didn’t work out so well. The ball never got more than seven feet off the ground. Central got the ball back and broadway had a good defensive series to hold. Broadways offense marched down the field and missed several opportunities to score, before one of the receivers let a perfectly thrown ball bounce off of his hands into the hands of a central defender. Drive over. Central moved the ball a little, and on third down ran a reverse to the good receiver who took it 83 yards to the house. Unfortunately that’s where the game ended. There was a lightning alert and the teams never got back on the field.

My overall observations were that central looked ok. They don’t look as strong and excited as last year, but they should still be pretty good. Broadway will be okay if they get some positions sorted out (particularly on defense) and stay healthy. There is no depth, period. If they have to start playing the jv players it’s going to hurt. From what I’m told the kids aren’t ready for that, and the parents aren’t sure they want the kids pulled up. There is quality there, but no depth.
The other thing I noticed is that there couldn’t have been more than 100 fans on the Broadway side. Central traveled really well and easily outnumbered broadways fans. Some may not give that a second thought, but I did. Broadway has always supported its football program really well. Win or lose, the fans come out (even for a benefit game). This was the first I’d noticed different. In a time where teams are cancelling seasons, it makes me nervous. I enjoy going places like broadway because the passion was always there. Seems like the community may not be bought in like it used to be. I hope the AD is paying attention and doesn’t ignore it. It’s easy to look at your homecoming and rivalry game crowds and say everything is fine. Don’t be blind. I love watching valley football. I don’t want to lose that opportunity at broadway, or anywhere else.

Time to look at tonight’s schedule and see where I want to go. Sorry for the long message, but I didn’t want to miss anything. Time for a nap.

Gunz you hit the nail on the head. For a couple of years they were really down. From what I’m hearing there is a pretty good group of players, or I guess potential players if they don’t come out, coming that should make them very competitive. Broadway is definitely a school that runs in cycles with talent. They should be on the way up this year, with a much better overall group of kids than last year. Health is the key. Going to be interesting if they go through a year with no seniors (if the current sophomores don’t come back out).

Valley, thanks for the game summary lol. Seriously, I didn’t go so it was good to hear how it went. I won’t expand on the situation with the undersized free safety, other than to say little league to varsity starter is a big jump for any kid. Let alone a 130 pound (and I’m being generous) player with average speed at best. Will see if they are willing to try different combinations to find best fit, or if they are sticking with it regardless. There is a history in stubbornness in decision making and playing time being based on who you know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT