ADVERTISEMENT

Salem Getting Bullied

In summary Salem got handled like they haven’t been in a long time.

Martinsburg is better than we give them credit for and probably could play with the best in VA yearly.

Pulaski fans just want to see Salem lose until they can be the ones giving it consistently.

carry on

Reactions: SFUWO
One of the good things in playing a team like Martinsburg is it shows you where you need to improve. Here are a few areas:
1. Salem needs to get healthy. 3 key players did not play (one player played first quarter only). Also looks like middle linebacker playing on one leg.
2. Secondary needs to get physically stronger. Not getting off blocks. Jet sweep killing us. Has not been stopped all year.
3. Secondary giving up too many big plays.
4. Passing game has to get more consistent. Has shown signs of improvement but way to inconsistent.
5. Offensive line has improved but it needs to get healthy and continue to improve. Long range they need to get stronger.
6. Receivers need to go get 50/50 balls. Again getting stronger will help with that.
7. Defensive line needs more penetration. Getting blown off by big offensive line from Martinsburg. Will see big lines in playoffs

Some of the problems can't be fixed until next year (get stronger)

One of the good things in playing a team like Martinsburg is it shows you where you need to improve. Here are a few areas:
1. Salem needs to get healthy. 3 key players did not play (one player played first quarter only). Also looks like middle linebacker playing on one leg.
2. Secondary needs to get physically stronger. Not getting off blocks. Jet sweep killing us. Has not been stopped all year.
3. Secondary giving up too many big plays.
4. Passing game has to get more consistent. Has shown signs of improvement but way to inconsistent.
5. Offensive line has improved but it needs to get healthy and continue to improve. Long range they need to get stronger.
6. Receivers need to go get 50/50 balls. Again getting stronger will help with that.
7. Defensive line needs more penetration. Getting blown off by big offensive line from Martinsburg. Will see big lines in playoffs

Some of the problems can't be fixed until next year (get stronger)
Good post... you really hit on the key areas. If you don't mind I am going to elaborate on these points a little further.

The injuries/missing players are tough but should improve. The right tackle that was out the last two weeks is healthy and will be back next week. As for the injuries, unfortunately they lost what I think is their best OL in Fairchilds in the first quarter. He has been playing guard all season but they were using him at center against Martinsburg. Wood being out and Pinello barely being able to move really put them in a tough spot defensively. The LB position with those injuries went from the teams biggest strength to a huge weakness in this game as Wood is by far the best defensive player on the team and Pinello is one of the better LBs in the area. That also hurt them offensively as Wood is a very good RB and Pinello is a good blocking TE (Which you have to have in this offense) that was struggling while hurt. Wood will be ready down the stretch and Pinello should be as well.

Your point number 2 is a big one. The defensive backs need to get technically better at getting off blocks but they also just have to want it more. This isn't the case where the DBs are just outmatched and too small... they are 6'3 190, 6'3 190, 6'2 185 and 6'0 170... most of the time they are getting blocked by receivers that are smaller than they are but simply want it more.

For point 3 the secondary in this game had some very tough matchups in this game. This wasn't like the PH and Blacksburg games where they were blowing coverages and having miscommunications. Martinsburg just had several guys that could get separation and run by them... I'm not sure if their is a defensive back in the state that could consistently cover Jarod Bowie one-on-one. Sure, Salem can definitely improve here but they were also going against better players.

They definitely had some shots in the passing game that they didn't take advantage of. Ferris and McDonald had the defense beaten badly several times for sure touchdowns only to be overthrown or underthrown. Being able to hit on these consistently is going to be one of the biggest factors of how far this team can go. Teams are not helping with a deep safety (Some teams are not even putting a safety deep) and they have a lot of receivers that are running by corners but are not completing these anywhere close to as much as they should be.

The offensive line is getting better and better from a technical standpoint and are playing physical. The fullback running game is night and day different from where it was early in the season and when they are not playing against a defensive front like Martinsburg I think they will continue to improve and look better. This is another area where they were really outmanned and even if they didn't have the missing players/injuries I believe they would have been outmanned.

They just have to be confident and high point the ball. I know they can do it but they can't be afraid of the moment. Waiting for the ball to fall into your lap is simply not going to work.

This just has to improve for them to make a run. Salem does a very good job of maintaining gap integrity but you eventually have to win some battles up front and make some plays. On several occasions where interior DL were able to get penetration they didn't finish the play. A few times there was an opportunity to make a diving play but they just reached out and were a fingertip away... you have to be willing to sell out on plays like this when you get a chance. They have been impressive against teams that aren't very good up front but when they have seen decent OLs they have just been stuck to blockers. That being said, the interior guys are both sophomores so I expect to see continued improvement moving forward. They both have the athletic ability and size to be more disruptive than what they are showing.

It's bizarre to see a secondary of that size be so incredibly bad at high pointing the ball. I bet you can count on one hand the number of times this season they've correctly outjumped a virtually always smaller WR to defend the pass.

Reactions: southbottomU
I'll add just a couple of things from my own experience when I started at WR and DB. I agree that strength plays a part in getting off a block, but IMO making the right read and footwork is far more important. Salem's DB's seem to just be playing the pass and letting the run come to them, almost as if there's no read at all. It's too late when a back is two feet from you to decide to try and make a play. That decision has to be made much earlier, and as Shabutie noted, you have to want it big time. I mean, when I played, Hickam preached to us at Northside that it was to be a green light, no holds barred, aggressive kill mentality to the ball carrier once the read was made. I certainly wasn't the strongest guy, but knew I had to come up on the run with a quick read, shove, and good footwork/angles to get by the wide-out and deliver the biggest hit my undersized body could. Salem's DB's have yet to show me that this year. The good news is that they have size and speed, so maybe coaching and experience gets them there. I think One Man had mentioned that regardless of the outcome of the Martinsburg game, that Salem's younger guys would grow up some. I think that happened, especially on the defensive side.
The other thing I'll add concerns the passing game. Yes, I agree the receivers could be a little more aggressive on the deep throws. However, the main issue I see is in Chaney's trajectory when he throws those long routes. More often than not, he's floating them. Put those same balls on more of a rope and Salem has at least two if not three more TD's against Martinsburg. Again, I think he has the arm strength so hopefully more practice and coaching helps with that as well. At the end of the day, Salem got a taste of what a state championship caliber team looks like this year. Whether they can patch the holes and rise to that level remains to be seen.

It's bizarre to see a secondary of that size be so incredibly bad at high pointing the ball. I bet you can count on one hand the number of times this season they've correctly outjumped a virtually always smaller WR to defend the pass.
I think that part of the problem is a fundamental lack of strength. Those four or five kids are pretty good athletes but they are not strong. They are getting beat on 50/50 balls and they are stuck on blocks in the run game.i can not think of a single jet sweep that hasn't gone for at least 8 yards. They've got to get off their blocks. Lack of strength is hindering their progress.

In my opinion this is one of the hardest things to learn for players that don't naturally do it well. Bucky Hodges was 6'6 with a 40 inch vert that was practically useless because he could not high point a football consistently. He also never improved on it any from his time in college. NFL scouts were very confused on how he could have numbers like that but not be a jump ball red zone threat like you would think.

Hats off to the Salem fans for taking the loss like men and having quality conversation about the game. Not many years where Salem needs to improve on some areas of the game for sure . To the Pulaski fan or fans , What?! Pulaski should learn from Salem not poke the sleeping monster. Really!? When was the last time Pulaski has been a relevant threat in 4A football ?

Hats off to the Salem fans for taking the loss like men and having quality conversation about the game. Not many years where Salem needs to improve on some areas of the game for sure . To the Pulaski fan or fans , What?! Pulaski should learn from Salem not poke the sleeping monster. Really!? When was the last time Pulaski has been a relevant threat in 4A football ?
Most Salem fans are quite realistic about their team. They've seen great Salem teams. They've seen great opponents. They know what it takes to be elite. I know sometimes I can sound quite critical but for better or worse Salem teams get compared to the best. It's a very tough grading scale and it can sound overly critical. However, we love our Spartans and we want them to be best they can be. Tough love

Won't be so easy next year and had we had everyone healthy this year would've been different not saying they wouldn't have won but definitely would've had to work harder

@Salem wood agreed. I didn't realize Salem had those key injuries, or I would've picked Martinsburg. 2015-17 Salem beats most Martinsburg teams.

Last edited:
Won't be so easy next year and had we had everyone healthy this year would've been different not saying they wouldn't have won but definitely would've had to work harder

lol Uncle Rico.jpg

Last edited:
@Salem wood agreed. I didn't realize Salem had those key injuries, or I would've picked Martinsburg. 2015-17 Salem wipes the floor with most Martinsburg teams.

IN TIM
@Salem wood agreed. I didn't realize Salem had those key injuries, or I would've picked Martinsburg. 2015-17 Salem wipes the floor with most Martinsburg teams.

Injuries killed us they were to stacked to come in limping ARE best lineman he would've held his own...ZAVIONE WOOD would've had his best game BOTH WAYS momentum would've flowed REMEMBER GOING IN 2ND QUARTER 14 -7 WITH A LIMP TEAM .....AND STOPPED THEM ON THEIR 20... FROM THERE WE THREW A INTERCEPTION KILLED US I ALSO FELT WE SHOULD'VE WORKED MORE PLAYS NEXT Year ALOT OF THE KEY PLAYERS ARE SENIORS LOL IF WE COME HEALTHY IT WILL BE A DOG FIGHT THEY WILL LOSE ALOT OF PLAYERS

Dude c’mon. Martinsburg didn’t even flex their muscle in this game and didn’t keep a full throttle in the 4th. Salem wasn’t even prepared for the pop-up kickoffs which is in the film.

I’m sorry but even without injuries and this game wouldn’t have been close. Don’t worry even if Sherando didn’t have their injuries, Martinsburg would have crushed them too.

Its their year, let them have it. No “if we were healthy, if this-if that. No they are that darn good.

Martinsburg didn’t even flex their muscle in this game
That's an exaggeration, this sounds like Highland Springs fans.

This Salem team is good, but not on the level of the 2015-17 teams. The glaring differences are the QB, O line, DBs and lack of a Ramsey. They also miss the beast Da'Jon Cardwell at D tackle. Not having a healthy Zavion Wood also hurt, as a one-two punch of him and Persinger would've taken a lot of pressure off the QB Chaney. This Martinsburg team struggled with Persinger, well they would've totally struggled with DeAngelo Ramsey and the O line he had all night.

Salem also lacks the "killer instinct" those title teams had. Any of those teams would've INSTANTLY taken advantage of Martinsburg's early mistakes before you blink, and the Bulldogs would have to fight from behind all game. Big difference in how the game would go. I was also reminded that they now have a new head coach, as Salem's interception near the goal line in the first half was a silly play call. You had momentum, just hand the ball to Persinger!

The Salem title teams also had the defensive team speed to contain Martinsburg's bubble screens, and the DBs, like Viante Tucker and the Foxes, to cover the receivers man to man.

All in all, the biggest difference is Salem just isn't quite as talented right now, and I'm not sure if next year will solve that problem, but we'll see. Martinsburg is in the perfect location geographically to reel in transfers and state titles every year in WV, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. They are basically another NoVA team except surrounded by cupcakes.

Martinsburg has a good program and good players and would be a playoff team in Virginia. I do not believe that any of their teams in this run would win a state championship in Virginia in Class 4 and certainly not in Class 5 or Class 6. They could quite possibly have won titles in Class 3 or below. None of that detracts that they were clearly the best team in their recent matchup with Salem.

Imho, Martinsburg would manhandle anyone Virginia threw at them this season.
My opinion was up until this year and the operative words in your post being "this season". This season is the closest, in my opinion, they have ever been to being at least a serious contender in Class 4. They could very well win in Class 4 this year were they in Virginia but, I will reserve final judgement until play is complete and that includes the statement that they would "manhandle" anyone Virginia threw at them this season. Just to clarify, you do mean class 4 or below, correct?

Last edited:
Idk man I’d have to say this is Martinsburg’s year. I live in the Fairfax area and have seen Westfield play before, Martinsburg would hold their own and I’m not a fan of either of them.

Every team deals with injuries, are you all saying that Salem got a 100% healthy Martinsburg. Somebody had to have a bummed ankle or a sore muscle or maybe even someone didn’t suit up...I don’t follow them religiously.

Yes, I agree that Salem started moving the ball in the second half. Good teams will adjust and that’s a credit to that new coaching staff - they are in good hands. At the end of the day, Martinsburg has weapon upon weapon. Take a look at the stats from the game.

Rushing
Starting RB - Kearney: 11-114
Back-up RB - Warren: 4-67
Back-up QB - Sine: 5-77
WR Bowie: 3-47

Average ypc: 13.2

They never needed to throw the ball but here’s Bowie’s receiving numbers.

5-137

Just to clarify: I don’t know they would manhandle anyone. I haven’t seen everyone play. I remember Gretna in early 2000’s with Vic Hall: people said they could compete with 6a.

Just to clarify: I don’t know they would manhandle anyone. I haven’t seen everyone play. I remember Gretna in early 2000’s with Vic Hall: people said they could compete with 6a.
People often say lots of things, however, the question is whether it has any basis in reality or fact. Today the compression among classifications is a lot more than it has historically been. In my opinion, that is attributable to two primary reasons. The first is that participation numbers are shrinking across the classifications. While enrollment numbers still vary the actual roster sizes are more comparable. The second reason is that with mixed districts you now have a lot more competition between classifications. Personally, I saw those Gretna teams play and Vic Hall would have been a star in any classification but, the Hawks neither had the quantity or quality of starting athletes and depth to be a serious competitor in Class 5 or 6 or their AAA predecessor.

Reactions: falcettik
This years Martinsburg team would definitely be one of the favorites to win 4a this year. They were every bit as good as Lake Taylor 2015, Dinwiddie 2016, and Louisa 2017. Salem 2015 Martinsburg 2019 would have been a great game. Salem had injuries that did affect the final score, but it would have probably ended up 42-21. Still a convincing win for Martinsburg. Salem has some work to do in the weight room if they want to compete with Martinsburg next year.

Vic Hall was a great high school player and Gretna was really good back then. However, in my opinion they could not have beaten the 5a and 6a best teams. In fact I think they would have been beaten soundly. Would have been Good game against best 4a teams.

I respect Martinsburg after watching that video about what their football program means to the community. The place is a lot like Danville except their fans support them. However, to say that they’d beat a Manchester, Varina, Highland Springs, Oscar Smith and Louisa is asinine this year.

Martinsburg would run the table in 4a this year and most years. They’d give highland springs a game similar to Oscar Smith and Manchester might even fare better than those teams did. Let’s be real they’re better than those who haven’t seen them expected. Name the last team to go into Salem stadium and punish the Spartans the way martinsburg did? I love va football but that wva team could play with the best in the state here.

I respect Martinsburg after watching that video about what their football program means to the community. The place is a lot like Danville except their fans support them. However, to say that they’d beat a Manchester, Varina, Highland Springs, Oscar Smith and Louisa is asinine this year.

Why is Louisa in the same category as those other teams? I'd take Martinsburg by at least two touchdowns over them this year, and I think Louisa is one of the top three teams in Class 4.

Can't believe you guys are making me defend Martinsburg lol, but I swear if they beat Highland Springs some of y'all would still say they'd lose to the best Class 4 team by double digits. They would have won multiple Class 4 championships since their string started earlier in the decade.

Why is Louisa in the same category as those other teams? I'd take Martinsburg by at least two touchdowns over them this year, and I think Louisa is one of the top three teams in Class 4.

Can't believe you guys are making me defend Martinsburg lol, but I swear if they beat Highland Springs some of y'all would still say they'd lose to the best Class 4 team by double digits. They would have won multiple Class 4 championships since their string started earlier in the decade.
Louisa has the same caliber of athletes of those teams. Would they beat the other 3 teams I mentioned? Don’t know, don’t care to debate if they would. After watching the Salem/Martinsburg game live and seeing Louisa play twice this year, I don’t think it’s close who wins that. For people to make blanketed statements that Martinsburg will give any Virginia teams a run for their money is ridiculous. Highland Springs would dismantle Martinsburg!

Louisa has already beaten two teams that were similar to Martinsburg but better: Monacan and Dinwiddie in 2017. Better QBs, RBs, LBs, physicality.

Louisa 2017. Martinsburg 2019. Good game but I would favor Martinsburg by 7. Martinsburg has more overall talent--- deeper. Also Martinsburg better throwing team. Martinsburg 2019 handles Monacan and Dinwiddie 2017.

Reactions: Shruikan
Martinsburg would handle several teams y’all have mentioned, and I don’t know if this is their best team during the run. I don’t know what game y’all watched but as I said name me a team that’s went into Salem and handled the Spartans that way 49-14...or remotely close to that

Reactions: Panther80ram
Louisa 2017. Martinsburg 2019. Good game but I would favor Martinsburg by 7. Martinsburg has more overall talent--- deeper. Also Martinsburg better throwing team. Martinsburg 2019 handles Monacan and Dinwiddie 2017.
Louisa is a better overall team than they were in 2017 this year IMO. Deeper at the skill positions, deeper on the lines. I think Noah Robinson and Alex Washington together compensates for the loss of Brandon Smith. Bell was a great QB but they have 4 RBs who can hurt you at any time. If the freshman QB can hold up, it’s theirs to lose this year.

Reactions: LionNation540
You saw Monacan in 2017? They were better than Dinwiddie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT