• Whoever comes out of 4C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Cinderella Story 👀

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
Gimme the Varina Blue Devils. The Dinwiddie Generals are the best/most complete team in C4 though. Who y’all got?

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I don't know if Dinwiddie is the most complete team, but I think they are much better than I thought they would be at this time of the year. The defensive backfield which I thought would be a major concern is fast and talented. Next Friday's game is very important. Aside from making a statement by beating another state champion a win will keep the Generals in contention for a home playoff game. I know it sounds crazy, but Maury will be a tough get. Can't afford to have two much less three losses in Region B. After seeing Phoebus in the state final and knowing they along with Varina have star studded defenses I have to consider both of them as a major threat. I know this is cowardly, but I will say the winner of the semi final between b and a will take the title. Go Generals! #boom

I don't know if Dinwiddie is the most complete team, but I think they are much better than I thought they would be at this time of the year. The defensive backfield which I thought would be a major concern is fast and talented. Next Friday's game is very important. Aside from making a statement by beating another state champion a win will keep the Generals in contention for a home playoff game. I know it sounds crazy, but Maury will be a tough get. Can't afford to have two much less three losses in Region B. After seeing Phoebus in the state final and knowing they along with Varina have star studded defenses I have to consider both of them as a major threat. I know this is cowardly, but I will say the winner of the semi final between b and a will take the title. Go Generals! #boom
I was thankful to get a follow from Coach Mills a few weeks ago. I have been monitoring the Generals’ page for updates and saw this today. The offense will be absolutely loaded and the defense will be led by a very good player in Se’von McDowell.

Yeah @BoKnowsSports , McDowell is a very talented linebacker. He times his blitzes well and is a sure tackler. Don't be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a threat on offense as well. He has great hands. We are a little light in the britches at spots, but our team speed is unreal. This team will put up the points and if they get key stops it will be at least a 7-8 win regular season. Hopefully, better. I know you have Huguenot high on your list, but I just don't quite see them getting a top four seed in Region B. Tough to win on the road in the playoffs with a young team. I know for darn sure the Falcons are not going to shut us out. That has only happened once in the past 15 years and Hopewell did it in 2018 on a rain soaked field. Peety Pope had a broken hand and couldn't pass. T. Henderson was caught for a loss, but reversed field andbtook to the house for a 85 yard TD for the only score of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Yeah @BoKnowsSports , McDowell is a very talented linebacker. He times his blitzes well and is a sure tackler. Don't be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a threat on offense as well. He has great hands. We are a little light in the britches at spots, but our team speed is unreal. This team will put up the points and if they get key stops it will be at least a 7-8 win regular season. Hopefully, better. I know you have Huguenot high on your list, but I just don't quite see them getting a top four seed in Region B. Tough to win on the road in the playoffs with a young team. I know for darn sure the Falcons are not going to shut us out. That has only happened once in the past 15 years and Hopewell did it in 2018 on a rain soaked field. Peety Pope had a broken hand and couldn't pass. T. Henderson was caught for a loss, but reversed field andbtook to the house for a 85 yard TD for the only score of the game.
The Generals will be no worse than 9-1, with that one L possibly coming in Ohio. I believe that this may be KG’s year to get the 1 seed. They will more than likely be the only undefeated team out of the bunch. Varina, KG and Dinwiddie are the premier teams in 4B. Huguenot will be very talented but they will not contend with the top 3. Had Huguenot played a harder OOD I’d say they would have a better chance, but I don’t see it this year. Very very young team. Them and Varina can possibly be 2018 Highland Springs and Manchester good in a few years.

At the moment my gut says Phoebus. With KG 2nd. Phoebus just feels like a juggernaut. I can't wait for their early season matchup with Oscar Smith.

The KG WRs to me are like Golden States 3 point shooting. They might not be the best overall team but they have what I consider the equalizer. Especially with the new QB transfer.

3 Salem
4 Dinwiddie
5 Varina

Dinwiddie has a tough schedule, including the central district Dale, matoaca and hopewell all will be a tough out and much improved this year.

The Generals will be no worse than 9-1, with that one L possibly coming in Ohio. I believe that this may be KG’s year to get the 1 seed. They will more than likely be the only undefeated team out of the bunch. Varina, KG and Dinwiddie are the premier teams in 4B. Huguenot will be very talented but they will not contend with the top 3. Had Huguenot played a harder OOD I’d say they would have a better chance, but I don’t see it this year. Very very young team. Them and Varina can possibly be 2018 Highland Springs and Manchester good in a few years.
I believe Maury is the team we’d struggle with if there is a Loss on our schedule. But one thing about Coach Mills teams they will be prepared for everything when the Time comes. Next Saturday will tell me a lot about the resolve of this team. The time has come 😈 #BLEEDNAVY

Mannnn this is so crazy from Herm. Going to be a long season for them.
The wild thing about it all, the young boys they had were going to reload that program and I truly believe, they would’ve won the state championship this year or next with HS moving up to C6. Herm didn’t lose a JV game COVID year or in 2021 (tied with Varina). They demolished teams with 8th graders.

I’ll give my prediction September 2nd. Wasn’t really impressed with what I saw at the Dinwiddie/Oscar Smith scrimmage tbh but it’s a scrimmage where the QB wasn’t live so it’s hard to really judge. I have super confidence Mills will correct some things and have that team ready by playoffs.

I just know September 1st might be a very bad night for Oscar Smith.

I’ll give my prediction September 2nd. Wasn’t really impressed with what I saw at the Dinwiddie/Oscar Smith scrimmage tbh but it’s a scrimmage where the QB wasn’t live so it’s hard to really judge. I have super confidence Mills will correct some things and have that team ready by playoffs.

I just know September 1st might be a very bad night for Oscar Smith.

Why, they playing Mater Dei this time? 🤣

At the moment my gut says Phoebus. With KG 2nd. Phoebus just feels like a juggernaut. I can't wait for their early season matchup with Oscar Smith.

The KG WRs to me are like Golden States 3 point shooting. They might not be the best overall team but they have what I consider the equalizer. Especially with the new QB transfer.

3 Salem
4 Dinwiddie
5 Varina
Salem is 5 imo, Dinwiddie and Varina by far have the toughest schedule in class 4. Varina actually may have the toughest schedule playing the top 2 teams is Class 6 in HSHS and Freedom, they will definitely be battle tested when playoff time rolls around. No team they see in class 4 will be that more talented than what they face in HSHS and Freedom.

Salem is 5 imo, Dinwiddie and Varina by far have the toughest schedule in class 4. Varina actually may have the toughest schedule playing the top 2 teams is Class 6 in HSHS and Freedom, they will definitely be battle tested when playoff time rolls around. No team they see in class 4 will be that more talented than what they face in HSHS and Freedom.
@Thomasddev might agree with you on strength of schedule but the Dinwiddie schedule is killer and the Ohio team is a wild card with Ted Guinn as the coach. Freedom is loaded and basically an AAU program and we know Springs is elite. Dinwiddie has Maury too though… close call. If you have already answered this my apologies… who do you think wins class 4 region B?

@Thomasddev might agree with you on strength of schedule but the Dinwiddie schedule is killer and the Ohio team is a wild card with Ted Guinn as the coach. Freedom is loaded and basically an AAU program and we know Springs is elite. Dinwiddie has Maury too though… close call. If you have already answered this my apologies… who do you think wins class 4 region B?
Toss up between Varina and Dinwiddie for winner 4B, IMO, King George will be there as well but I don't know how they will look being there qb graduated last year. Varina and Dinwiddie will be so battle tested with that SOS, I don't think any other team will be able to match them in class 4b

Toss up between Varina and Dinwiddie for winner 4B, IMO, King George will be there as well but I don't know how they will look being there qb graduated last year. Varina and Dinwiddie will be so battle tested with that SOS, I don't think any other team will be able to match them in class 4b
KG had a good QB transfer in. I don't remember from where, but they should still be pretty solid.

@mike salem, North Stafford. I think he was injured most of last year. They have to replace a great running back, but it will not take too much to throw the ball up to their two studs (Wiggins and White). I think the key to KG winning it all will be their defense. Varina and KG have my attention and respect.

I was leaning towards Freedom and HS to win those games but Varina has the horses this year to make both games really close. Varina is loaded man. As good as Eric Smith is, DaMari Carter may have that same kind of breakout sophomore year Harry Dalton had. The kid is insanely talented. Their offense will be special.

I'm loving the way this year is shaping up in the press and on this board. Most of the attention (rightfully so) is on the eastern Virginia schools of Phoebus. Dinwiddie, King George, and Varina.
Salem is relatively under the radar.
Western Virginia schools have been seen as slow and not as talented in the past. Salem disproved that theory on a number of occasions. This years Salem team has some question marks at qb and interior line play, but early reports have been quite favorable in that area. The talent in the backfield (both backs) Linebackers, Defensive backfield, and tight end, is as good or better than anyone in Division 4. I would say, at least this. The Road to the State Finals still goes thru Salem.

I'm loving the way this year is shaping up in the press and on this board. Most of the attention (rightfully so) is on the eastern Virginia schools of Phoebus. Dinwiddie, King George, and Varina.
Salem is relatively under the radar.
Western Virginia schools have been seen as slow and not as talented in the past. Salem disproved that theory on a number of occasions. This years Salem team has some question marks at qb and interior line play, but early reports have been quite favorable in that area. The talent in the backfield (both backs) Linebackers, Defensive backfield, and tight end, is as good or better than anyone in Division 4. I would say, at least this. The Road to the State Finals still goes thru Salem.
Lol. @southbottomU, I don't think anyone is overlooking or discounting Salem and surely we aren't heading down the Salem disrespect road that may have occurred 10 years ago. That's a long time to be an alleged victim and that boat obviously doesn't sail anymore. Lets be real here, other than Salem fans themselves when is the last time someone questioned the Spartans? In fact, for most of the current posters Salem is just expected to be there come playoff time. Isn't that a sign of respect? Food for thought, nobody really buys the line that the Spartans interior line and QB play is suspect. Unless you live under a rock everybody is aware of the talent the Spartans have this season. Salem has maybe three challenges on their regular season schedule (LCA, PH, and FC). No offense to Glass, GW, or other possible contenders in region d, but unless the Spartans take a dump they will be a semi finalist.

Yes, we do spend a lot of time talking about the East. I guess that's because the majority of the current Class 4 posters support teams from Regions A/B and it's so competitive. Nobody has a clue about Region C teams. They rarely have fans that post and the Region D posters from (Salem, Amherst, Jefferson Forest, Glass, Sherando) don't really mix it up anymore. I can remember in 2013, when the "West" dominated this board.

On a personal note I think Salem is a top five team in Class 4; however, I don't know where they fall right now. Somewhere between 2-5. My gut tells me the Spartans make the finals.

Lol. @southbottomU, I don't think anyone is overlooking or discounting Salem and surely we aren't heading down the Salem disrespect road that may have occurred 10 years ago. That's a long time to be an alleged victim and that boat obviously doesn't sail anymore. Lets be real here, other than Salem fans themselves when is the last time someone questioned the Spartans? In fact, for most of the current posters Salem is just expected to be there come playoff time. Isn't that a sign of respect? Food for thought, nobody really buys the line that the Spartans interior line and QB play is suspect. Unless you live under a rock everybody is aware of the talent the Spartans have this season. Salem has maybe three challenges on their regular season schedule (LCA, PH, and FC). No offense to Glass, GW, or other possible contenders in region d, but unless the Spartans take a dump they will be a semi finalist.

Yes, we do spend a lot of time talking about the East. I guess that's because the majority of the current Class 4 posters support teams from Regions A/B and it's so competitive. Nobody has a clue about Region C teams. They rarely have fans that post and the Region D posters from (Salem, Amherst, Jefferson Forest, Glass, Sherando) don't really mix it up anymore. I can remember in 2013, when the "West" dominated this board.

On a personal note I think Salem is a top five team in Class 4; however, I don't know where they fall right now. Somewhere between 2-5. My gut tells me the Spartans make the finals.
Was just saying I like the position Salem is in. Not the favorites and fairly ignored by Eastern press and fans (Dinwiddie fans in general and especially knowledgeable fans like yourself are the exception). We have not played King George, Varina and Phoebus (Phoebus maybe once 60 years ago). I also said those teams deserve the hype (last 2 State Champs and a rising talented program). However. I like it when Salem is the underdog and rated 5th or 6th in Division 4.
By the way, glad you're sure about the offensive and defensive line I'm anything but sure. The biggest reason we lost in quarter finals last year was we got beat up front. If it happens again, it won't matter that Salem has the best back and linebacker in the state.

You can't win even if you did pick Salem. Numerous writers picked Salem to beat Lake Taylor in 2015 and had them ranked ahead of LT going into the game and Spartan fans still wanted to play underdog. I picked Salem to beat Lake Taylor in 2015 and got blasted for it and no apologies even after they won the game. Anyway by the end of last season Phoebus, Dinwiddie and King George were even based on similar opponents and final scores. If the graduation bug has been kind the D4 state playoffs should be unlike any playoffs ever seen. I'm sticking with Phoebus for another 3peat.

I have watched, not necessarily enjoyed (lol), and respected Salem (Andrew Lewis) football since 1971. My dad played and coached at Jefferson and thought the world of Coach Joyce. I moved to the flat land over 30 years ago and still enjoy following Roanoke Valley football through the eyes of the posters on this boards, tv highlights, and the Roanoke Times. Although I was disappointed in their departure from PH to Salem I still have extremely fond memories of Coach White and Coach Oliver.

I respect Salem, because I know the history, and what is expected out of the players. This tradition of excellence cannot be dismissed.

@Southbottom, you are very knowledgeable. Even though you remain hesitant and although the o line might not be the"mules" of old the Spartans will be just fine. With your team speed you don't need to hold blocks all day. When @Shabutie, who I think is one of the best x&o guys on here said he was pleased by the offensive and defensive line play and @mike salem said they were improved I knew Salem was in good shape.

Besides look at the attached poll. I tend to think it's fairly accurate. Phoebus holds the lead, but Salem, Varina, Dinwiddie, and King George are not separated by much.

Salem Questions/Observations:

1. Will the Spartans offense face a few very fast/physical defenses during the regular season that will challenge them like a Varina and Phoebus can. Tough to simulate this.

2. Salem has struggled a bit in the past with a few dual threat quarterbacks (Pope and Johnson) and defending the post/deep ball. I believe Cole will help and it appears the defensive back field is solid. Phoebus, Varina, Dinwiddie and King George all have the potential to stretch the Spartans defense.

3. The one thing that makes Salem a tough out is their offensive scheme. All of the top teams
in Region A and B run the spread. That too is tough to simulate in a week.

I appreciate the humble attitude, but I fully expect Salem to return to Liberty for the final. Who will they play?????

Last edited:
You can't win even if you did pick Salem. Numerous writers picked Salem to beat Lake Taylor in 2015 and had them ranked ahead of LT going into the game and Spartan fans still wanted to play underdog. I picked Salem to beat Lake Taylor in 2015 and got blasted for it and no apologies even after they won the game. Anyway by the end of last season Phoebus, Dinwiddie and King George were even based on similar opponents and final scores. If the graduation bug has been kind the D4 state playoffs should be unlike any playoffs ever seen. I'm sticking with Phoebus for another 3peat.
@Kenneth Harris, I hope you are wrong, but Phoebus is surely going to be a tough out. If their offense can match the defense watch out. I would love to get them back at our place again, but I see the Phantoms having home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I don't see Varina or Dinwiddie going unbeaten and King George's schedule will not garner enough points to earn a semi final home game.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think on the whole that Salem is seen similar to Clemson whereas Eastern schools are seen in the UGA/UF/Bama vein. People tend to think Salem cruises until the playoffs, plays maybe one semi-difficult C/D team and then just has to get a win in the title and blah blah any given Saturday. Contrast that to the story of A/B teams and you get your SEC narrative where every schedule is murderer's row, so on and so forth. I will certainly concede there is a bit of truth (sometimes more than a bit) to each statement in general.

I think there's a few posters here, chiefly you and DP, who I tend to believe and there's others that I think just pay lip service because Salem's overall body of work as a program is too impossible to "what if" and "but" to death in an argument. I would imagine some Salem fans feel similar. I don't think there's an amount of titles Salem can ever win to flip the narrative of where the best football is played in the state in C4 and I think ultimately some people are capable of ignoring what Salem does in order to maintain this mantra. End of the day it's whatever, I neither expect nor demand everyone to kowtow to Salem as a program, just telling you this is likely what southbottom is saying.

I was leaning towards Freedom and HS to win those games but Varina has the horses this year to make both games really close. Varina is loaded man. As good as Eric Smith is, DaMari Carter may have that same kind of breakout sophomore year Harry Dalton had. The kid is insanely talented. Their offense will be special.
Varina is definitely loaded, especially at skill positions. Varina will be able to match up with HSHS and Freedom at the skill positions but I feel they will struggle in the trenches. HSHS and Freedom have massive O Lines.

@Kenneth Harris, I hope you are wrong, but Phoebus is surely going to be a tough out. If their offense can match the defense watch out. I would love to get them back at our place again, but I see the Phantoms having home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I don't see Varina or Dinwiddie going unbeaten and King George's schedule will not garner enough points to earn a semi final home game.
Y’all haven’t been to Darling yet though! Y’all just can’t bring that cannon lol. Y’all boys had Warwick SHOOK when it went off the first time lol

As far as the offense we return the entire Oline and benefit greatly from a 6’5 LT transfer from Woodside. The run game and WRs are stacked up but the huge question is who will play QB. We have a stud freshman but maturity wise he would benefit playing a year of JV. I think the battle will be between a senior transfer and a senior that played WR/S last year. Just hope this scrimmage Thursday against Maury answers that question.

Question for you about Dinwiddie though. I saw them scrimmage Oscar Smith and I’m wondering if y’all graduated y’all WRs from last year? They just didn’t seem like the same kids from state game i saw last year. Either way good luck to y’all in Ohio. A Dinwiddie win on Saturday is a win for the state!

Last edited:
The only thing I wish is that the VHSL would alternate opponents each year. That would make for some absolutely BANANAS matchups. Or maybe I’m just stuck in the old AAA Days 🥺
Man i wish the VHSL would let Phoebus take Denbigh and Gloucester off our schedule permanently! Since COVID it’s made it easier for those teams to simply refuse to play us.

Varina is definitely loaded, especially at skill positions. Varina will be able to match up with HSHS and Freedom at the skill positions but I feel they will struggle in the trenches. HSHS and Freedom have massive O Lines.
I agree here… but truth be told, Varina could lose to both Freedom and HSHS and still be the best team in class 4. We just won’t know bc of how good those two programs are.

@1MoreHokie I hear you on posters just paying Salem respect via lip service but even if that is true the over all Salem body of work over time is undeniable. Salem is by default the best class 4 program historically. I would love to debate Salem but there is nothing to debate. The road might be easier to get to the title but you still have to win it. From what I am hearing this is the fastest most athletic team Salem has ever fielded. Doesn’t mean it is the best team but certainly have a chance to win it. Would you be disappointed if you don’t make the title game this year? I think you are favorites to come out of the west and likely 50/50 with the east winner. About as good as it gets. I’d take it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT