ADVERTISEMENT

4A top ten after this week

OCBoy

VaPreps All Region
Nov 12, 2001
Bk I'm beating you to it because I'm bored...
1. Dinwiddie
2. Monacan
3. Blacksburg
4. Eastern View
5. Salem
6. Louisa
7. Kings Fork
8. Lafayette
9. Sherando
10. Deep Creek

Yes I know Liberty beat Sherando but I'm still not a believer. I'll still take Sherando in a rematch....
I also got to see some film on both Louisa and Eastern View. EV looks way better than the Lions imo. I was told from a coworker who was at the EV/Courtland game the Cougar fans thought EV was way better.

This looks well thought out OCBoy. Saw Monacan last week and they deserve to be #2 if not #1. Region B is nasty good from 1-5. PH-Ashland lost in overtime to a very talented Henrico team. 4 teams remain unbeaten in region b.

Next week Dinwiddie could very easily slip from the unbeaten ranks, but even without Pope for the 2 3/4 games my Generals are starting to make me a believer.

Region D is tight as well with Byrd and EC Glass being the only remaining undefeated teams. GW Danville and Blacksburg have one loss each. Amherst and Salem with two losses should get better in the upcoming weeks.

In Region A you have undefeated Deep Creek and three very good one loss teams in Lake Taylor, Kings Fork and Lafayette.

Region C has Liberty Bealton, Millbrook, Sherando and Woodgrove lining up to claim the top spot.

Its getting interesting!

This looks well thought out OCBoy. Saw Monacan last week and they deserve to be #2 if not #1. Region B is nasty good from 1-5. PH-Ashland lost in overtime to a very talented Henrico team. 4 teams remain unbeaten in region b.

Next week Dinwiddie could very easily slip from the unbeaten ranks, but even without Pope for the 2 3/4 games my Generals are starting to make me a believer.

Region D is tight as well with Byrd and EC Glass being the only remaining undefeated teams. GW Danville and Blacksburg have one loss each. Amherst and Salem with two losses should get better in the upcoming weeks.

In Region A you have undefeated Deep Creek and three very good one loss teams in Lake Taylor, Kings Fork and Lafayette.

Region C has Liberty Bealton, Millbrook, Sherando and Woodgrove lining up to claim the top spot.

Its getting interesting!
Yes sir it's halfway through already and it's starting to make sense now with most teams. I need to get my ass home from South Carolina to catch some games...

Its getting interesting!

I'd swap Deep Creek with Kings Fork, because they seem balanced and they handled a Western Branch team that gave Kings Fork their only loss. Its too early to compare, but Deep Creek hasn't looked this strong since maybe the DeAngelo Hall led teams. Deep Creek vs Indian River next weekend might be the game of the week in the 757.

Last edited:

Its getting interesting!

Well said... and Patrick Henry is going to be a problem. Knowing that one of us is going to have to play them early is scary.

Dinwiddie pulverized PG my god. It's a shame they can't even put up a fight for a rivalry game. HUGE game next week with TD & Dinwiddie!

Monacan has a good JR team and a the Bird game still looming so we will see what happens. Certainly a team with championship ambitions. The talent is there.

But lets address the 800lb Gorilla in the room. HOW ABOUT BLACKSBURG DOMINATING SALEM LAST NIGHT! So many posters on this board said "what a joke" about Blacksburg being a force in the west, their early season and preseason rankings etc. A lot of one loss teams in the west. What a mess. I know Salem is still a good team but I don't know that with 2 losses and after taking a pounding like that to another 4a team they can't be in my top 5 especially with so many undefeateds still out there.

1. Dinwiddie
2. Monacan
3. Blacksburg
4. Eastern View
5. Louisa
6. Deep Creek
7. Kings Fork
8. Salem
9. Sherando
10. Lafayette

Glass, C'ville, & Woodgrove are knocking on the door. Let me know if I am forgetting anyone.

Earlier in the week, I had commented in the post thread:
Salem-Bburg Who you got?

Comparing results so far this season:
Blacksburg 51, Giles 14
Lord Botetourt 26, Blacksburg 22
Blacksburg 47, Amherst County 21
Blacksburg 35, Richlands 17

Salem 38, Amherst County 24
Salem 42, Franklin County 0
Dinwiddie 25, Salem 20
Salem 27, Northside 0

Blacksburg has played a very tough opening schedule to start the season, in my opinion, and will be battle tested when they face Salem.

Both have just one loss - to top notch teams - and have one common opponent - Amherst - thus far.

Should be a good one!

So I honestly wasn't surprised by Blacksburg's win las night over Salem - but the margin of victory was a shock.

This team is for real!

Well said... and Patrick Henry is going to be a problem. Knowing that one of us is going to have to play them early is scary.

Dinwiddie pulverized PG my god. It's a shame they can't even put up a fight for a rivalry game. HUGE game next week with TD & Dinwiddie!

Monacan has a good JR team and a the Bird game still looming so we will see what happens. Certainly a team with championship ambitions. The talent is there.

But lets address the 800lb Gorilla in the room. HOW ABOUT BLACKSBURG DOMINATING SALEM LAST NIGHT! So many posters on this board said "what a joke" about Blacksburg being a force in the west, their early season and preseason rankings etc. A lot of one loss teams in the west. What a mess. I know Salem is still a good team but I don't know that with 2 losses and after taking a pounding like that to another 4a team they can't be in my top 5 especially with so many undefeateds still out there.

1. Dinwiddie
2. Monacan
3. Blacksburg
4. Eastern View
5. Louisa
6. Deep Creek
7. Kings Fork
8. Salem
9. Sherando
10. Lafayette

Glass, C'ville, & Woodgrove are knocking on the door. Let me know if I am forgetting anyone.
The VHSL website says C4 only takes 6 to their playoffs, (with the Caveat that the District champ gets in under certain conditions.) This could loom big for two loss Salem now.

HOLD THAT THOUGHT, C4 IS SALEMS REGION. IS IT C OR D THATS ONLY TAKING 6?

Here is the format link:
http://www.vhsl.org/download/79/football/3294/football-playoff-format.pdf

Last edited:
PUT SOME RESPECT ON THE EAGLES NAME!! :DDefense is going to get stronger and stronger with guys coming back from injury. Highest scoring team in the state. #DanvilleRising #CarlosPooleBestQBIn4a

59aa291c2ce25.image.jpg

1. Dinwiddie
2. Monacan
3. Blacksburg
4. Louisa County
5. EC Glass
6. Eastern View
7. Deep Creek
8. Lafayette
9. Salem
10. Liberty (Bealton)

HM: King's Fork, Sherando, William Byrd

Reactions: lyhsports
Watched the Courtland/Ev game last night. EV was a way superior team than Courtland. Hard and unusual to see a Courtland team that is struggling the way they are. Coach Hall will have them back! As far as EV, they have great size and they are fast! They have a stable of running backs and receivers that just keep coming at you. However, it appears one of the WR hurt his knee last night. Then when you think you stop there running game and receivers, the QB takes off running and he is an athlete. The defense is solid, they gave up one big run for a td, other than that it seems they run to the ball well. To sum up this game Courtland will be back I hope real soon. EV is here and will be a tough opponent come November.

PUT SOME RESPECT ON THE EAGLES NAME!! :DDefense is going to get stronger and stronger with guys coming back from injury. Highest scoring team in the state. #DanvilleRising #CarlosPooleBestQBIn4a

59aa291c2ce25.image.jpg

@DanvilleSportsHead woa woa woa brother... I can respect it but you know I don't agree with that statement... Not that I am partial or anything :)

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
@DanvilleSportsHead woa woa woa brother... I can respect it but you know I don't agree with that statement... Not that I am partial or anything :)
In all fairness, Los Poole and Fludd are practically the same player. I'm taking Fludd to lead my team any day but if I can't get Fludd I'm not blinking taking Poole. Fludd is the real deal and is a lot more proven than Los.

Reactions: mbonape1
In all fairness, Los Poole and Fludd are practically the same player. I'm taking Fludd to lead my team any day but if I can't get Fludd I'm not blinking taking Poole. Fludd is the real deal and is a lot more proven than Los.

Anyone know if Fludd has family in Florida? My hometown is Okeechobee, FL. Last year the high school had one of the best seasons in school history. Led by a kid named Bubba Fludd, now a Southern Miss Golden Eagle. Just curious.

Anyone know if Fludd has family in Florida? My hometown is Okeechobee, FL. Last year the high school had one of the best seasons in school history. Led by a kid named Bubba Fludd, now a Southern Miss Golden Eagle. Just curious.

I'll ask but I think it is just a coincidence. I'll get back to you on that

59aa291c2ce25.image.jpg
You can respect them for the amount of points they can put up. In my opinion, injuries or not, the defensive shortcomings are a fundamental and long term flaw of the program now, not unique to just this year. Not sure GW has actually played real defense for the last 20 years or so. They tackle poorly from both a fundamental and physical perspective and they really have no discernible philosophy as to how they want to attack/defend in general. Granted in recent times some of the shortcomings can be attributed to rule changes and changes in practice routines(thudding versus full contact) but, an even bigger factor is several of the more recent GW head coaches have placed very little emphasis, if any, on defense. The shortcomings I see now have been going on since the back when Newell was the coach and have only gotten worse. Those deficiencies are easy to hide and overcome in district/conference play, especially the current watered down Piedmont, however, you can bet the house they will be exposed by the regional semis or finals.

You can respect them for the amount of points they can put up. In my opinion, injuries or not, the defensive shortcomings are a fundamental and long term flaw of the program now, not unique to just this year. Not sure GW has actually played real defense for the last 20 years or so. They tackle poorly from both a fundamental and physical perspective and they really have no discernible philosophy as to how they want to attack/defend in general. Granted in recent times some of the shortcomings can be attributed to rule changes and changes in practice routines(thudding versus full contact) but, an even bigger factor is several of the more recent GW head coaches have placed very little emphasis, if any, on defense. The shortcomings I see now have been going on since the back when Newell was the coach and have only gotten worse. Those deficiencies are easy to hide and overcome in district/conference play, especially the current watered down Piedmont, however, you can bet the house they will be exposed by the regional semis or finals.
Even the 2012 team? The 2014 team? Maybe even throw the 07 team in there. But I will grant you that they haven't had many if any.

Even the 2012 team? The 2014 team? Maybe even throw the 07 team in there. But I will grant you that they haven't had many if any.
I would put 07 ahead of either of the other 2 and that is still not an endorsement. Granted my perception is colored by the era where defenses were a bigger focus and the game has changed both in terms of rules and philosophy making offense more prevalent. I haven't gone back to refresh my memory but, will use 14 as the most recent example. If memory serves Magna Vista was the only significant opponent and even in a loss they put 30+ on GW. In the playoffs Courtland put up 26 despite not getting off the bus until the second half and Salem put up 49 I think in bouncing them from the playoffs. The playoffs are really the only place GW has encountered competition of a sufficient level to evaluate the defense they play. I will try to refresh my memory better on the other two years and give you a better response and evaluate whether my original perception needs to be adjusted.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
DSH after considering my earlier comments and thinking back on the seasons mentioned, as well as others, I don't really see any need to soften my evaluation. 2014 had some name kids on defense that have gone on to have some collegiate success, however, while the talent level may have been higher than either 2012 or 2007 it did not translate to results on the field, particularly considering the cake schedule. I will still go with 07 because while giving up 63 to Amherst that schedule at least had a pulse compared to the weak sisters of the Piedmont GW has faced in more recent times. As I said in the previous post, the changes in the way the game is played and the rules, as well as practice schedules, has some effect on the increased offense but, even allowing for that I think GW has just played very poor defense for going on two decades now. Bottom line for me is the true proof is in the playoff performance and GW, without significant improvement in its defense, cannot be considered an overwhelming threat at the state level of the playoffs(expect normal exit somewhere between round 1-3) because they are guaranteed to play at least one opponent, if not more, where they will actually have to be able to make a stop to have a chance to win. The depth of their playoff runs will hinge largely on home field advantage but, even that advantage will be overcome when they encounter teams more balanced on both sides of the ball. Anderson is far better than Teague who was a total disaster but, if they ever want to make noise at the semifinal or final level of the state playoffs significant improvement will be required on the defensive side of the ball. This is a philosophy issue, not a talent issue, because with kids like Malik Clements, Tim Glass, Donald Smith, etc., etc., etc., GW has had more than enough athletes through he years to be at least as good on the defensive side of the ball as they have been on offense.

G.W. Danville is LEGIT. So much speed on both side of the ball!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT