ADVERTISEMENT

Class 4D Thoughts.

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
I've seen everyone in the region multiple times on tape and Salem & Glass up close and personal. These are my opinions.

Salem (9-2) @ GW Danville (10-1)

Keys for Salem W - Contain Carlos Poole, pressure him when drops back and get as maybe remember shots as possible. If he gets into a rhythm he's as good a dual threat QB as you'll find in Class 4. I would put Tucker on Watlington man to man all night. Tucker can match him across the board with size, speed, ball skills and has an advantage in big game/big talent experiences as he's had to cover Tye Freeland, KVaughn Pope, Tiquest Terry to name a few. Salem LBs have to get off blocks and stop Graves before he gets going. Ramsey will probably be needed off the edge to help contain Poole from time to time. Offensively, Salem has to control the clock and keep GW offense off the field. Ramsey is going to get his. If he goes over 200, Salem will win. The x-factor offensively for Salem will be Gladden. If he is accurate and gives his WRs a chance when he drops back, Salem offense is very hard to stop. If he turns the ball over or misses on key 3rd downs and Salem gets behind, It'll be tough for Salem to get out of Danville with a win.

Keys for GW-Danville W - Defensively, you have to stop Ramsey before he gets going. As I said, he's going to get his but if you can keep him between 120-150, you should have a chance to win. Force Salem to pass to beat you. If you can get a lead early and force them to go to the air more than usual, your chances of winning will increase. Last couple years, Salem had a mobile QB that could beat you with his feet on 3rd down. I don't see that type of ability from Gladden. Salem has steady WRs, Tucker being the only game breaker. Owen, Wade, Close, #26 while all having good hands, will not take over a game from the WR spot. Offensively GW has to be balanced and keep the Salem D on their toes. Salem tackles very well across the board, the weakness appeared to be in coverage on the back end but I attribute most of that to the option assignment scheme they employed to stop us. GW will need a big game from Weber Harris and some of the other less heralded WRs as Salem will likely focus on Watlington, as they should.

Salem has the special teams edge IMO. I'm looking for this one to be a 1 or two score game either way. 38-28 or 35-31 type game. Fans should get their money's worth. Good Luck to both teams.

EC Glass (8-3) @ Blacksburg (10-1)

Keys for Glass W - Offensively, they have to try to be balanced. WRs have to help QB McCallum when he's dropping dimes. Their WRs have been inconsistent catching the football at times this season. When Alexander, Wood, Kendrick are catching the football, they have as dynamic a passing game as anyone in the region. McCallum has as strong an arm as I've seen all year. The offensive line has a tall task this week in the trenches as Bburg has a very stout DLine. Glass OL moves very well but physically, they are limited, so it'll be interesting to see how well they can protect McCallum as well as open up holes for Foster and TPatt to run. Defensively, Glass will be the fastest Bburg has seen all year. They are undersized up front but they make up for it with their get offs, great first steps. The key is very much like it was against Heritage, gang tackle and limit the long TDs. Force Bburg to drive the field, get some timely turnovers and Glass will have a chance to win the game.

Keys for Bburg W - Offensively, get Beck and Terry the ball as much as possible and let them work. When you've got two guys that fast, the more chances they have, they higher probability they'll score. It isn't rocket science. Glass defense has struggled against balanced teams like Bville and LCA that keep them guessing. If you become one-dimensional on offense, Glass team speed will eat you alive. QB Johnson has to be accurate when he throws downfield. Glass will run to screens well, so he'll have to hit some of those middle distance routes between 8-19 yards to keep drives going and keep the defense guessing. Defensively, Bburg has to make McCallum uncomfortable. He's getting smarter and reading defenses better but his footwork can yield mechanical issues when he's pressured, which can make him inaccurate. Bburg has to control the LOS. If they can shut down the running game and pin ears back to rush passer, they should be good shape.

Special teams edge goes to Bburg with their kicking game and game breaking return men. This game will feature the top 2 defenses in the region. If both teams play like they can, I expect this one to be close as well. Turnovers and special teams will be the difference.

These are clearly the top 4 teams in the Region and I expect both games to be competitive unlike most of the first round matchups. Every team has game breakers and great coaching staffs. Good Luck to all 4 teams. I'm hopeful that I'll be in Blacksburg watching that one live, rooting on my cousin who coaches for Glass.

Last edited:
Great stuff like always Coach. After watching GW Friday that Tucker/Watlington matchup will be very critical on both sides. They’ll guard each other the whole game. Watlington did a very good job of containing the Amherst receiving corps Friday along with Matt Mease and Javion Henderson. One thing I would add is the play of Carl Poole Jr. Him and Thomas Patterson will battle for Region D defensive player of the year, as the GW defense goes as he goes. If he’s on, GW’s defense is very good. GW’s linebackers got sucked in a couple of times on Friday which almost led to disaster. Can’t have any of those defensive letdowns against Salem or they’ll make you pay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT