ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW- Lafayette football notice

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Notice today, today only players to clean out their lockers, only day allowed in school. One player at a time and with masks! No mention of weight room schedule, etc. completely closed.
Sounds like no plans for football this year. No confirmation but....,,,,,

Notice today, today only players to clean out their lockers, only day allowed in school. One player at a time and with masks! No mention of weight room schedule, etc. completely closed.
Sounds like no plans for football this year. No confirmation but....,,,,,
That doesn’t particularly mean that they aren’t going to play this fall. I think a lot of schools are still planning on summer workouts starting in middle of June early July.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Reading too deep into it. When school districts started closing back around March 11-13, everyone believed that we’d be back in school by mid April at the latest. I can tell you that most programs in the Richmond area are eyeing mid June-early July returns. There will be a season this year, whether it’s in the fall or spring.

I am pretty confident that almost every team has groups of kids that are working out on their own. But I doubt that any school is sanctioning it and in most cases(if not all), the coaches are not present and it is not on school grounds. Doing so would open the school up to big liability.

Kids have to get creative in terms of strength training because most don't have the equipment available to them. But they can still stay in shape with a lot of different things if it is important to them. If it wasn't important to them, then you probably weren't working very hard before all of this anyway.

Lets hope and pray that there are some really smart scientists out there who come up with a vaccine this summer.

Last edited:
Reading too deep into it. When school districts started closing back around March 11-13, everyone believed that we’d be back in school by mid April at the latest. I can tell you that most programs in the Richmond area are eyeing mid June-early July returns. There will be a season this year, whether it’s in the fall or spring.

My understanding is VHSL football in the spring is a non-starter.

My understanding is VHSL football in the spring is a non-starter.
Things change so much. Last week it was discussed that it could be played in the Spring. They also are talking about a half of season. Schools and the VHSL will lose so much money if football isn’t played.

No summer workouts from what I was told here from VHSL, so fall football looks pretty bleak.

Reactions: WP02alum
No summer workouts from what I was told here from VHSL, so fall football looks pretty bleak.
They’re still working out,just not on any official basis or school property! The videos are all over Twitter. I saw a video with 8 players catching passes from a “volunteer” coach,working on their footwork and agility. Vhsl can’t stop that!

That may be true but I doubt without official sanctioned conditioning and workouts the VHSL will permit for all to begin in late August/September. To permit games with possible unconditioned players would invite lawsuits upon injuries.
Perhaps as mentioned above a 2/3 or 1/2,season beginning in early October with September used as conditioning and practices once schools open up.

Last edited:
The VHSL has cancelled all summer workouts in June and July. The word I have heard from some pretty important people is that likely bring kids in Early September for formal practices and play a shortened 5/6 game season with no playoffs. If we have a season at all that is the likely scenario I believe we are facing.

The VHSL has cancelled all summer workouts in June and July. The word I have heard from some pretty important people is that likely bring kids in Early September for formal practices and play a shortened 5/6 game season with no playoffs. If we have a season at all that is the likely scenario I believe we are facing.
What’s the point of not having playoffs? I’d rather not have the season if that’s the case.

To play 5/6 games and not have some shortened playoffs of 2-3 games (eliminate round 1 with shorten the cutoff list from 8 to 4 teams) is another illustration that novel thinking at VHSL is as dead as in any Government type organization. Sheesh!

I imagine to let kids have a senior season mostly. And no playoffs means you know from the start exactly what to plan for. I don’t like it either, but I like it better than no football.
Tell the VHSL people to start to get creative for once in their lives. It can be done with playoffs and a shortened season if some just think a little. I know that would be a rare occurrence.

Any word on VISAA cancellation? I can’t find any information online. I know they had a meeting last week as well.

As an added thought: if you are a Div 1 recruit with offers or about to get one why would you want to play 5/6 totally meaningless games and risk an injury that adversely affects you offers? You see some too college prospects bypassing bowls to preclude screwing up their NFL prospects.

Nothing wrong with playing only 6 regular season games if that is the way the ball bounces this fall, but why take away the kids’ playoffs? I work in high school and it has been a traumatic time for all of these kids, especially the current and rising seniors. If things are clear and we’re allowed to play 6 regular season games, give the kids an extra 5 weeks for postseason play. I guarantee you that this year will be the biggest turnout and revenue boast for the VHSL in a long time.

As an added thought: if you are a Div 1 recruit with offers or about to get one why would you want to play 5/6 totally meaningless games and risk an injury that adversely affects you offers? You see some too college prospects bypassing bowls to preclude screwing up their NFL prospects.

By that logic, all HS football games are meaningless. FBS-level talents should get their scholarships and immediately quit the teams to preserve themselves for much more important and far superior college games.

By that logic, all HS football games are meaningless. FBS-level talents should get their scholarships and immediately quit the teams to preserve themselves for much more important and far superior college games.
C’mon now. If you do not have the possible goal of a conference, regional or state championship from the outset the limited Schedule of games become merely a collection of benefit games. Worthless. why participate unless your a player still trying to get an offer.

Last edited:
C’mon now. If you do not have the possible goal of a conference, regional or state championship from the outset the limited Schedule of games become merely a collection of benefit games. Worthless. why participate unless your a player still trying to get an offer. In college they are trying to get that conference championship and qualify for The playoffs at the level of their school. Some reply.

That's all completely arbitrary and subjective on your part.

I mean, not for nothing but football games period are benefit games at all levels in that they benefit other sports merely by being played. A school would rather collect the tens of thousands of dollars for even three home games over collecting none.

Like, we're going to get what they give us and that's it. This is your mom saying "we're having leftovers, if you don't like it then don't eat" and you made your decision and dealt with it. If six games is something you can handle then great, if it's not then stay at home and hope things are better in 2021.

That may be true but I doubt without official sanctioned conditioning and workouts the VHSL will permit for all to begin in late August/September. To permit games with possible unconditioned players would invite lawsuits upon injuries.
Perhaps as mentioned above a 2/3 or 1/2,season beginning in early October with September used as conditioning and practices once schools open up.
You don’t need but 2 weeks of conditioning to play! That’s all you got just a few years ago. 3 days with no pads and opening night 2 weeks later!

I mean, not for nothing but football games period are benefit games at all levels in that they benefit other sports merely by being played. A school would rather collect the tens of thousands of dollars for even three home games over collecting none.

Like, we're going to get what they give us and that's it. This is your mom saying "we're having leftovers, if you don't like it then don't eat" and you made your decision and dealt with it. If six games is something you can handle then great, if it's not then stay at home and hope things are better in 2021.
I doubt your opinion would be very prevalent here in 757.

I doubt your opinion would be very prevalent here in 757.
804 too. These kids want to compete for a state championship, period. Highland Springs has over 10 guys with major D1 offers. What in the Sam Hill would they gain out of playing and risk getting hurt against a Meadowbrook or Atlee? Point blank, if we have a shortened season, the kids should get a playoffs. Adults make these stupid azz decisions about them. There are a lot kids who absolutely need every game they can get. Harsh reality is football is the ONLY way out for a lot of kids. I work with recruitment and I’ll be the first to tell you, it can be relatively easy and it can also be harder than finding a needle in a haystack to sell your product to recruiters, whether it’s D2, D3, JuCo, or NAIA... It’s very tough and I’m pretty damn good at my job. I’m hopeful that the VHSL does the right thing. It’s hard to imagine that the VHSL misses out on the extra revenue that the playoffs would bring though. It’s still very early so we’re just playing the what if game.

It’s hard to imagine that the VHSL misses out on the extra revenue that the playoffs would bring though. It’s still very early so we’re just playing the what if game.

I don't know how you can type this and not understand the bigger picture. The VHSL stands to lose more than anyone else if they do a short season or no playoffs and so on, they wouldn't choose to take money out of their own pockets unless it was incumbent upon them that they had no other choice to make. I flat out guarantee you there isn't a fan, player, or coach in the state who wants a full season more than the VHSL does. Their choice is going to be the one that intersects at best serving themselves and, hopefully, also the fans/players/coaches.

No money-making organization has happily shut down or made changes due to this thing. Most of the places are doing the absolute bare minimum required so they lose as little money as possible. The VHSL will undoubtedly do the same. If that bare minimum is an 8 game season and 3 game playoff or a 6 game season and no playoffs, that's what we'll get and we'll all have to be adults and handle it as such, not tantruming like children at the slightest sign of not getting our way.

Reactions: schoolboard
I believe there will be a football season at some point next school year. Like others have said, the money made from football allows other sports to compete.

Football is the biggest revenue sport
Boys basketball is 2nd and typically doesn’t make too much more than break even.

Some schools may have another sport that breaks even or comes a little ahead. But the majority of the schools lose with all remaining sports.

If the choice is no football or a shortened season then I’d place money on the shortened season.

2 weeks of practice. Have 1 scrimmage. 6-8 game regular season. Eliminate 1st round of the playoffs.

I’d even go so far to say have a ‘bowl game’ if they are scared of extending the playoffs.

To summarize the below article from Winchester Star:

1. Out of season practices are cancelled until further notice.
2. The VHSL will meet on June 25 to discuss if out of season practice is possible in July.
3. The VHSL will follow guidelines issued by Governor Northam.

Yes, as you’ve all mentioned the kids are working out on their own. I’m a full supporter of this and glad to see all the twitter posts of the kids getting after it. This is perfectly allowed; when coaches become involved in anyway, organization, communication, etc: that’s when it’s either not allowed or crosses a gray area. I’m not sure about a volunteer coach or a team dad or what have you, but if your name is on the coaches roster then you probably shouldn’t be doing anything.

Article:
Area briefs: VHSL stresses that teams can't practice
Gov. Ralph Northam has loosened his restrictions on some of the state’s businesses, but that doesn’t mean high school sports teams can hold out of season practice.

The Virginia High School issued a news release on Friday stating that is has received numerous inquiries from school divisions regarding out of season practice guidelines for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year due to the ongoing threat of COVID-19. But it stated that all out of season practice and activities are canceled until further notice. The VHSL will meet on June 25 to discuss if out of season practice is possible in July.

The current relaxing of Northam’s stay at home order applies only to businesses. Schools remain closed and in-school facility use is off-limits.

The VHSL will continue to follow all protocols and guidelines issued from Northam, the Center for Disease Control and the Virginia Department of Health.

Once Northam declares schools can re-open and guidelines are provided for the reopening, the VHSL will work with its Executive Committee to draw up protocols and guidelines for resuming athletic activities. The VHSL asks every member school to support Northam’s directives and the Department of Education during this time.

The VHSL stated every decision will be made in compliance with those orders and will continue to be made with the best interest of student-athletes and the public, and added safety will always be its No. 1 priority.

I don't know how you can type this and not understand the bigger picture. The VHSL stands to lose more than anyone else if they do a short season or no playoffs and so on, they wouldn't choose to take money out of their own pockets unless it was incumbent upon them that they had no other choice to make. I flat out guarantee you there isn't a fan, player, or coach in the state who wants a full season more than the VHSL does. Their choice is going to be the one that intersects at best serving themselves and, hopefully, also the fans/players/coaches.

No money-making organization has happily shut down or made changes due to this thing. Most of the places are doing the absolute bare minimum required so they lose as little money as possible. The VHSL will undoubtedly do the same. If that bare minimum is an 8 game season and 3 game playoff or a 6 game season and no playoffs, that's what we'll get and we'll all have to be adults and handle it as such, not tantruming like children at the slightest sign of not getting our way.
As I stated above, if they allow a 6 game season which would run from the last week of September until the second week of November, it would be detrimental to the student athletes NOT to have a playoff. I stand by that statement and if you think that’s a “tantrum” then I challenge you to research the word advocacy. If we’re allowed a season, the more games the better and cutting playoffs is cutting opportunity for the children.

You mentioned an 8 game season as well (no playoffs). 8 > 6. The more opportunity to play the better. If that means spring football with 10 games and no playoffs, that would be ideal as well.

Last edited:
As I stated above, if they allow a 6 game season which would run from the last week of September until the second week of November, it would be detrimental to the student athletes NOT to have a playoff. I stand by that statement and if you think that’s a “tantrum” then I challenge you to research the word advocacy. If we’re allowed a season, the more games the better and cutting playoffs is cutting opportunity for the children.

You mentioned an 8 game season as well (no playoffs). 8 > 6. The more opportunity to play the better. If that means spring football with 10 games and no playoffs, that would be ideal as well.

You can't argue for the relevancy and importance of playoffs then a sentence later say "the number of games is what's important". Pick one or the other, they both don't work.

Like I said, the VHSL will make a choice that best serves themselves and fans/players/coaches, they're not looking to lose money if at all possible. The notion of "more games = more exposure for potential scholarships" and "more games = more money" aren't exclusive. Whatever is best for the VHSL will, in turn, be what is best for players. Anything beyond that is completely subjective and strictly argumentative at best.

You can't argue for the relevancy and importance of playoffs then a sentence later say "the number of games is what's important". Pick one or the other, they both don't work.

Like I said, the VHSL will make a choice that best serves themselves and fans/players/coaches, they're not looking to lose money if at all possible. The notion of "more games = more exposure for potential scholarships" and "more games = more money" aren't exclusive. Whatever is best for the VHSL will, in turn, be what is best for players. Anything beyond that is completely subjective and strictly argumentative at best.
Playoffs are very important (#1 priority) but why else would playoffs be important to a 6 game schedule? You’re smart enough to figure that one out. I don’t have to retract my statement. You’re not a coach nor do you have students on the cusp of offers so you’re not in my shoes. The governor nor the VHSL have not made the best of decisions in the past, I just pray that they don’t screw this up for the kid’s sake.

VHSL is essentially governed by the Principals across VA. While VHSL has its own central governance, they’re more or less beholden to principals, who have superintendents they answer to. So it’s not some group of leaders separate from the schools. School leaders will make the call, and they generally are fairly risk averse (read: lawsuits). Not saying all leaders will vote to cancel, but bold leadership wouldn’t accurately describe most principals/superintendents from my experience in public education.

Playoffs are very important (#1 priority) but why else would playoffs be important to a 6 game schedule? You’re smart enough to figure that one out. I don’t have to retract my statement. You’re not a coach nor do you have students on the cusp of offers so you’re not in my shoes. The governor nor the VHSL have not made the best of decisions in the past, I just pray that they don’t screw this up for the kid’s sake.

We'll get what we get and everyone will deal with it, hopefully like adults and not like pouting children.

All sports programs all over are hurting for money. Every game with money coming in the gate is money that will help said programs financially.

They can say 10 game season and full playoffs, but if a second wave of virus comes back, they will shut everything down with no warning, just like on March 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT