ADVERTISEMENT

To Coach Christmas of JF

7hillshsnut

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 16, 2007
Very impressive showing against Amherst last night.Your offense looks unstoppable.You have done a great job you are a GREAT coach.That being said was that last TD your team scored with a little over a minute left in the game necessary?Your team was up 63-43,point proven,JF was the better team.Why not just take the knee run the clock out,show some class,TEACH your team SPORTSMANSHIP?Im not a Amherst fan or supporter,far from it,lol,ask Wiki,lol.Im a long LONG time fan thats all&former coach.
Not a damn thing was proved by that last score.I don't want to hear the usuall BS about its the other teams job to stop them or they don't quit until final whistle.ITS CALLED SPORTSMANSHIP&SHOWING CLASS IN VICTORY.Again you are a GREAT coach your record speaks for itself.But your CHARACTER is somewhat questionable in my mind.
I hadn't posted all year but couldn't let this one go JF fans give me hell but nothing you can say that will defend what happened.ITS CALLED RUNNING UP THE SCORE,RUBBING THE OTHER TEAMS FACE IN IT.Not my first tirade against this on here,sure it wont be my last.Just so happens Bob Christmas is my latest target of one of the most blatant cases of it I EVER SEEN.Don't matter if it was Amherst or any other team.No place for it,especially HS sports.

You sir, are a moron. This is not a 4H club. This is not pee wee league. It's a running offense, it's not like he called a Hail Mary. It was a dive up the middle to drain clock and not lose yardage by taking a knee. Not his fault that the players are that much better and scored. Get over it, grow a pair. Coach Christmas has been the most outstanding example of leadership, character, sportsmanship, etc that I have EVER seen. And I have been close with him and his family for 15+ years. I played for him for 4 years. Talk to ANY of his former players and ask them what kind of man he is in EVERY aspect of life. The man is flawless. If I could be half the man he is, I would be thrilled.

I remarked to some people at the Salem game that I had a feeling if JF got the chance to put up a lot of points they would just because of how people had been talking up Amherst hard in the last week. The result wasn't particularly surprising.

There are a lot of things missing from this story to tell if it was unsportsmanlike. 1) Did Amherst still have timeouts left? 2) on their previous possession, did Amherst punt or go for it on 4th down. Just about all coaches will stop and take knees if they know the other coach has stopped trying to win, as evidenced by a punt late when down by multiple scores. If you go for it, it sends the message that you have not thrown in the towel and you are still trying to do everything possible to win, and are likely to use any remaining timeouts if the other team takes a knee.

Reactions: shauntclair
You sir, are a moron. This is not a 4H club. This is not pee wee league. It's a running offense, it's not like he called a Hail Mary. It was a dive up the middle to drain clock and not lose yardage by taking a knee. Not his fault that the players are that much better and scored. Get over it, grow a pair. Coach Christmas has been the most outstanding example of leadership, character, sportsmanship, etc that I have EVER seen. And I have been close with him and his family for 15+ years. I played for him for 4 years. Talk to ANY of his former players and ask them what kind of man he is in EVERY aspect of life. The man is flawless. If I could be half the man he is, I would be thrilled.
Did he keep in his first string the entire time? If he did, then shame on him and he and Coach Phillips coached together and are supposed to be good friends. I was questioning myself but left while it was still 63 to 43 and thought rhat would be the final score, I was shocked when I found out they scored again. That's okay though because you know what they say

I remarked to some people at the Salem game that I had a feeling if JF got the chance to put up a lot of points they would just because of how people had been talking up Amherst hard in the last week. The result wasn't particularly surprising.
Nothing wrong with people talking up their team especially for Amherst but if Christmas kept his first string in the entire game, that's says a lot about him and it ain't good

Flawless? I doubt it very seriously

Just ask ANY player who has ever played for him
No one is flawless is my point. Matter of fact I have talked to a couple of players and they do highly respect him and loved him when they played for him. Most people have respect for him he is a great coach and knows how to win. My point is if he left on his 1st string in for the Amherst game then I don't think as much of him because he and Cecil are close

Very impressive showing against Amherst last night.Your offense looks unstoppable.You have done a great job you are a GREAT coach.That being said was that last TD your team scored with a little over a minute left in the game necessary?Your team was up 63-43,point proven,JF was the better team.Why not just take the knee run the clock out,show some class,TEACH your team SPORTSMANSHIP?Im not a Amherst fan or supporter,far from it,lol,ask Wiki,lol.Im a long LONG time fan thats all&former coach.
Not a damn thing was proved by that last score.I don't want to hear the usuall BS about its the other teams job to stop them or they don't quit until final whistle.ITS CALLED SPORTSMANSHIP&SHOWING CLASS IN VICTORY.Again you are a GREAT coach your record speaks for itself.But your CHARACTER is somewhat questionable in my mind.
I hadn't posted all year but couldn't let this one go JF fans give me hell but nothing you can say that will defend what happened.ITS CALLED RUNNING UP THE SCORE,RUBBING THE OTHER TEAMS FACE IN IT.Not my first tirade against this on here,sure it wont be my last.Just so happens Bob Christmas is my latest target of one of the most blatant cases of it I EVER SEEN.Don't matter if it was Amherst or any other team.No place for it,especially HS sports.
I hate when people complain bout teams scoring high. The ball rolls both ways. If you don't want to be embarrassed then learn to play some defense.

What ridiculous comment! I am tired of this take a knee nonsense. About 2 years ago, Salem played Blacksburg in a JV game. The score was something like 55 to some low number. When the game was over, my spouse and a friend were directly approached by a Blacksburg fan yelling, "What a classless act!" We had no idea what he was talking about until he went off on the elevated score. He was yelling that we should have taken a knee. The man with my spouse said, "Don't you think it would be more insulting and humiliating to have the other team just take a knee in front of you? I would be more upset with that as a player." The man still growled and griped, and finally, my spouse said, "We were playing our third string." You cannot ask third string players who equivalently contribute to the team and work their butts off all season not to play when it is their turn to do so. If your team cannot keep up, that's a message to your team. Work harder. Play better. Everyone is too worried about hurting someone's feeling all the time. Too bad. Play or go home. Or take your own knee.

Last edited:
I hate when people complain bout teams scoring high. The ball rolls both ways. If you don't want to be embarrassed then learn to play some defense.
It is not that because Amherst scored lots of points before, my point is if he left his first string that is not good at and I would call it Classless especially if he is playing against his friend and wouldn't do that. Amherst definitely got outplayed and their defense was subpar

If a game is a blow-out , there's no need for first string to play entire game. Give the back-ups some reps.

I recall a Gretna game back in the day in which we were leading Nelson County 41-0 late in the game. Gretna had pulled all the starters, but NC kept their first string in. The Gretna back-up defense could not tackle, thus NC close gap to 41-38.

JF had two games left that would be challenges, Amherst and brookville, to get them ready for their guys to play 4 quarters throughout playoffs. Amherst beats brookville, so it's a good assumption that Amherst is the toughest remaining game on the schedule. How do you expect the players to be ready for playoffs if they can't play 4 quarters the whole second half of the season? It comes to a point where you forget about hurting feelings so that you can prepare your players

Reactions: one man and OCBoy
Maybe if you're playing a scrub team. Not when you're playing the toughest challenge left on your schedule.

Maybe if you're playing a scrub team. Not when you're playing the toughest challenge left on your schedule.
Just because Amherst beat Brookville doesn't mean the Bees won't be a tough challenge for JF. In fact, they could end up being JF's biggest challenge during the regular season since they are huge rivals and the game is at Brookville.

Exactly. Some examples I can relate to are Louisa/Powhatan. I definitely didn't think this year's game would go the way it did, and Louisa/Western is becoming a rivalry too. They have alternated wins since 2006, with WA winning every odd year! It's all about match ups and how prepared and motivated the kids are. JF/Brookville could be the Seminole game of the year.

If a game is a blow-out , there's no need for first string to play entire game. Give the back-ups some reps.

I recall a Gretna game back in the day in which we were leading Nelson County 41-0 late in the game. Gretna had pulled all the starters, but NC kept their first string in. The Gretna back-up defense could not tackle, thus NC close gap to 41-38.
Well I would think that if the other team starts coming back you would put them back that was a dumb coaching move. I am just saying at least near the end to pull starters

I
Just because Amherst beat Brookville doesn't mean the Bees won't be a tough challenge for JF. In fact, they could end up being JF's biggest challenge during the regular season since they are huge rivals and the game is at Brookville.
I agree Amherst just played their best against Brookville and was fired up when they came out the gate, did not see that against JF. Brookville will give them a tough game but I still give the edge to JF

JF had two games left that would be challenges, Amherst and brookville, to get them ready for their guys to play 4 quarters throughout playoffs. Amherst beats brookville, so it's a good assumption that Amherst is the toughest remaining game on the schedule. How do you expect the players to be ready for playoffs if they can't play 4 quarters the whole second half of the season? It comes to a point where you forget about hurting feelings so that you can prepare your players
Not hurt feelings, just being classy as a coach. Most coaches would pull their first string in a game like, not only for the obvious reason but to also not risk an stupid injury on a key player that could cost them a playoff

Their first string was not in on the last drive of both offense and defense. And Brookville will DEFINITELY be a tough challenge no doubt. I'm just saying, when you've only got two big challenges left, Amherst (on paper - which I know doesn't mean much) would be assumed the tougher of the two. But both games are games where the first two strings should be tested for 4 quarters.

If he actually left his 1st string in I don't see the big deal get some more reps for the guys who are gonna be playing 4qtrs in nov/Dec. Make sure they can hack it.
An the example ppl have presented are ones where scores where 40's to 0 or 7. Sure you might idle but like I say football players are little baby's they don't need to be protected. Play defense don't let'em score.
Don't worry ppl just getting there pound of flesh until amherst gets a real coach an amherst is handing out the whooping.

Reactions: jfcav1
I can see Brookville beating JF... Their defense is stingy and flys to the ball, especially the run. The secondary comes up but are disciplined enough to cover and make plays in the passing game... But running all night & throwing it a few times could be the key if those dbs start to key on the run and forget about the pass. Should be interesting...
I, myself, am waiting for this Amherst/ Rustburg game as it will most likely decide 3rd place in the Seminole and with a win, lock up a good seed for my Devils come playoff time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT