ADVERTISEMENT

Eastern View 11-0 @ Dinwiddie 11-0

Who wins

• Dinwiddie

Votes: 52 65.0%
  • EV

Votes: 28 35.0%

• Total voters
Why is it that many of the posts in this thread refer to all the things against EV? What EV has to do to stop Dinwiddie? Why EV cannot possibly win?

EV does play offense themselves (and pretty darn well). Dinwiddie will have to stop them. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. Some seem to just take it for granted that EV has to play the game of their lives and Dinwiddie just needs to show up.

Then someone says that last year's games mean nothing (I agree) but then says EV basically has no prayer since they are 0-4 in PAST road playoff games? Someone miss the irony class?

I do not know who will win this game. I have not seen Dinwiddie play in years. I have seen EV many times and they are "daggum" impressive.

Miss Kitty and myself will be making the long trip in support of the Cyclones.

Here we go again. Do you EV guys ever read the entire thread. Enough whining already. For the most part Dinwiddie posters have repeatedly stated how much respect we have for the EV program.

I have asked EV fans three times to talk about their team. Nothing! Whats the darn secret? Do you really think our coaches havent watched tons of video on your team and you might be giving something away. We have answered every prying question evcyc and culpgrad have asked and still crickets. What are you afraid of?

Stir the pot the way you want Marshall Dillon. The only reason the playoff records were brought up was, because Evcyc wanted facts. It was just an x factor, not critical and means nothing. Actually just another thing for you sad sacks to cry about. OCboy, you know I respect you, but these others guys just dont get it. I have been as nice as I can be. I will say this for the fourth and last time and in caps. EV has talent, is good, and has earned our respect.

If you can't tell other posters why or how you intend to beat us then you must be worried and need to stop sniveling.

Dinwiddie will attempt to run right at EV. They will utilize screens and skinny post to loosen you up. If you blitz too much our qb will scramble. Try and cover our receivers 1-1 we will try to beat you deep.

Defensively, we will play 1-1 and beg you to throw deep. If you hit a few, so what. Most teams miss more than they hit, so we get the ball after three and out. If you can establish the run you can slow us down and possibly beat us. Our linbackers play the run very well and defend the edge. We use speed rushes and blitzes to pressure the qb.

Our best players are Pope-qb, Sturdivant-rb, Williams, wr/s, Tyree-lb/rb and Pope-lb/wr.

See guys it isnt hard. There are no secrets. This is what you will face. All we know about EV is Holmes can run, Hunter is fast the qb can throw, the line is big and fast. How do you expect us to say anything positive or negative about your team when we dont know squat.

For the record, I believe we can win, but that doesnt mean we will. Just show up on Friday night and enjoy the show these kids are going to put on.

Here we go again. Do you EV guys ever read the entire thread. Enough whining already. For the most part Dinwiddie posters have repeatedly stated how much respect we have for the EV program.

I have asked EV fans three times to talk about their team. Nothing! Whats the darn secret? Do you really think our coaches havent watched tons of video on your team and you might be giving something away. We have answered every prying question evcyc and culpgrad have asked and still crickets. What are you afraid of?

Stir the pot the way you want Marshall Dillon. The only reason the playoff records were brought up was, because Evcyc wanted facts. It was just an x factor, not critical and means nothing. Actually just another thing for you sad sacks to cry about. OCboy, you know I respect you, but these others guys just dont get it. I have been as nice as I can be. I will say this for the fourth and last time and in caps. EV has talent, is good, and has earned our respect.

If you can't tell other posters why or how you intend to beat us then you must be worried and need to stop sniveling.

Dinwiddie will attempt to run right at EV. They will utilize screens and skinny post to loosen you up. If you blitz too much our qb will scramble. Try and cover our receivers 1-1 we will try to beat you deep.

Defensively, we will play 1-1 and beg you to throw deep. If you hit a few, so what. Most teams miss more than they hit, so we get the ball after three and out. If you can establish the run you can slow us down and possibly beat us. Our linbackers play the run very well and defend the edge. We use speed rushes and blitzes to pressure the qb.

Our best players are Pope-qb, Sturdivant-rb, Williams, wr/s, Tyree-lb/rb and Pope-lb/wr.

See guys it isnt hard. There are no secrets. This is what you will face. All we know about EV is Holmes can run, Hunter is fast the qb can throw, the line is big and fast. How do you expect us to say anything positive or negative about your team when we dont know squat.

For the record, I believe we can win, but that doesnt mean we will. Just show up on Friday night and enjoy the show these kids are going to put on.

Guys this thread is now 4 pages... It isn't even Thursday yet.
@EV fans... Everyone in region B knows EV can ball. Everyone is whining with one breath that they are the under-dog but relishing and embellishing in it at the same time. Cut the Woe is me crap. We know you are good you are 11-0 for a reason. If you don't think Dinwiddie is the favorite then JUST SAY SO... If you do think Dinwiddie is the favorite, like most of you have been saying in this thread, and then trying to challenge that notion, then just eat it or live with the lie.

I'll make it easy for ya...
Raise your hand if you think EV is going to go into Dinwiddie and beat Dinwiddie???? Let it be known.

Step up and say yeah I stole it!

These are 2 HEAVY weights. Can we please stop the story line that this is Andre the giant vs Tiny Tim. Nobody ever said that!

Amen mbonape1! I just want someone from EV to step up and say something positive about their own team. Hell, if they were my team I would be selling Holmes and Hunter. Those kids can ball. Come on EV fans show your love. Can you win this thing or not?

Reactions: Dinwiddietrumpet

I posted this on another thread 2 days ago when Dinwiddiepride asked: Offensively they will start with the run....pretty much up the middle. Or maybe dump passes to Hunter....or deep to Thomas/Hunter/Proctor...or medium passes to Leake. Hard to tell. QB can run too.

Thank you. Can you tell us about your players? I am in charge of media relations and have nothing and I mean nothing to provide over 20 media outlets.

Culpgrad, I did get confirmation your local pbs network is going to be airing the game. If you dont intend to come down and have access to twitter you can follow along starting at 6:50. I try not be be a homer. I do at least series updates and have links from other media outlets on my account.

Nope,......Oh and 86culp , word of advice , don’t ever EVER reply to a tweet ! oMG !!!! It’s the OFFICIAL twitter of dinwiddie press release or something. What was that you called it Navy? lol next thing you know Navy will be verified ! These Dinwiddie dudes take the positions given very serious!!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
@hamspear no worries. As a matter of fact, I take pride in assisting our athletes in getting the recognition they deserve without disrespecting other teams or its players in the process. Its called class!

Our discussion about your twitter post wasnt a preps thing. It was business related and I dealt with you man to man about it like most adults do. Good night sir.

Last edited:

Don’t have to worry about me. I’m a fan of hs football not necessarily EV. I just happen to live in the area so it’s easy to catch their games. I haven’t seen them enough in person to break down anything. I can give my opinion on what might happen and I’ve told DP that but I have nothing concrete to speak on.

Thank you. Can you tell us about your players? I am in charge of media relations and have nothing and I mean nothing to provide over 20 media outlets.
I know hunter and Spangler have been invited to play in the Blue Gray all star game in Florida

@hamspear no worries. As a matter of fact, I take pride in assisting our athletes in getting the recognition they deserve without disrespecting other teams or its players in the process. Its called class!

Our discussion about your twitter post wasnt a preps thing. It was business related and I dealt with you man to man about it like most adults do. Good night sir.
Lol

Why is it that many of the posts in this thread refer to all the things against EV? What EV has to do to stop Dinwiddie? Why EV cannot possibly win?

EV does play offense themselves (and pretty darn well). Dinwiddie will have to stop them. Maybe they will, maybe they will not. Some seem to just take it for granted that EV has to play the game of their lives and Dinwiddie just needs to show up.

Then someone says that last year's games mean nothing (I agree) but then says EV basically has no prayer since they are 0-4 in PAST road playoff games? Someone miss the irony class?

I do not know who will win this game. I have not seen Dinwiddie play in years. I have seen EV many times and they are "daggum" impressive.

Miss Kitty and myself will be making the long trip in support of the Cyclones.

Yes I do think that EV has to play their best game. At this point in the season if you falter you go home. Dinwiddie needs to play well in my opinion but not perfect. As the year goes by the coaches preach getting better each week and taking one step at a time. Dinwiddie couldn’t win a state title week 3 playing Salem, but when the game was scheduled a few years ago being prepared for the playoffs and being battle tested was. Dinwiddie and Coach Mills will play anyone, anywhere, anytime the thing is no one wants to play. Why because Dinwiddie is a proven product they are not a flash in the pan, it’s a program that every year will be a contender. It’s the way Dinwiddie prepares for everyone it does not matter if they are 11-0 or 0-11 it’s the process that gives me the confidence in the generals.

Dinwiddie will stop EV I will guarantee that, there have not been many if any teams over the last 10 yrs Dinwiddie couldn’t get stops on (last years state title game). If EV doesn’t have a punter you may want to take a few days to get that done because again I guarantee the generals will get stops.

Again the Navy by 21

Gosh darn it :) I was trying to stay quiet today, yeah I didn't think it would happen either. I have said it over and over, that game plan you threw out will be the same for EV. These teams are really the same except for proven athletes vs not so proven right? To be honest I don't get into details because I have access to film. I have watched a lot of film.. some would say I have a problem. So I won't break anything down even though I would like to. If Dinwiddie can cover our WR's 1 on 1, that will be huge for them. But they are going to need 4 really good DB's. I won't say they do or don't. If Widdie can run right up the middle with no resistance, EV will be in trouble, I look forward to watching that. I would put our D line up against any they have played. The thing that could turn this around for either team, is the big play, the quick score, the play drawn up that sneaks a guy open. The things you think Widdie will do and EV won't or visa versa, I actually see as a draw. They each will get theirs. It's the other stuff I wonder about.. EV fans want to pump them up, but we wouldn't be able to really back it up with facts that anyone on here respects.. right? It's no big deal.. one more day boys!!!

Come on EVcyc, you are killing me. A Cyclone is a nasty storm, so let it rip. Tell us how you really think. No one is going to get upset. Your team deserves their props. Who says we wouldnt believe? You are 11-0.

Come on EVcyc, you are killing me. A Cyclone is a nasty storm, so let it rip. Tell us how you really think. No one is going to get upset. Your team deserves their props. Who says we wouldnt believe? You are 11-0.
I don't think you will ever get Cyclone fans to brag/boast too much on here. That use to happen quite a bit about 6 years ago when the team had a different aura. I would just say they are confident. If they win, great. There would still be a long way to go. If they lose, they had a great year. I just wish this matchup was later in the playoffs. BUT HOW ABOUT THOSE BLUE DEVILS in 3B. Got a playoff win for the first time in forever and should have a good shot to win this round.

Thinking about making the trip From Fredericksburg. Not sure about traffic, what would be a good time for me to leave? GPS says 90 minutes, but that’s not factoring in Friday traffic or Gameday traffic.

Nice post Culpgrad. Was not asking for boasting. Just wanted to have some fun through educated debates. I enjoy witty people who can go toe to toe without crossing the line. I talked to the pbs station in culpeper this morning the broadcast will be taped delay. Tried to get him to do it live. Sorry!

Congrats to Culpeper. The 3b region is not one of the strongest in class 3. Your Blue Devils could win it all!

Thinking about making the trip From Fredericksburg. Not sure about traffic, what would be a good time for me to leave? GPS says 90 minutes, but that’s not factoring in Friday traffic or Gameday traffic.
To avoid traffic take 295 South and then come back 95 n to 85 s in petersburg. It took us about 1:30 minutes to get to James Monroe if that helps. I wouldnt arrive too late. Ticket lines could be long. You can order on line to avoid this. I think DP posted a thread on this earlier.

Lol. I really can't or won't. I didn't say won't believe, I was more referring to easily refuted by the weak schedule. I will say this. Last year (yup I'm going there).. The EV O line was good, but this years O line is borderline great (several of them are just a year older) . And why I bring that up is.. Chancellor's D line last year was stock full of D1 guys. I promise (yes #49 for you guys is very good, very consistent, great motor) you don't have that 6'5" beast who is now at Penn State or the other kid who went to play for Army (Brown I think). We handled those guys, we stopped them, we planned for them etc. These kids that are on this team are basically the core of last years team. They played in tough games, I don't see them being intimidated by Dinwiddie. Just not gonna happen and they will fight right till the end, regardless of quick sores.
When someone wants to talk about speed, last week when our RB was breaking one off for 80yds, there was a kid trying to run him down, one of our WR's caught up to both of them with ease and blocked that last kid. Probably missed by many, but wow, I knew he was fast, but he ran across the field about 30yds and would have beaten both to the goal line if it was a race. Our RB is not slow. I think like us, Widdie is going to have to decide, what will they stop.

On a side note, good place to eat around there? My wife and I are meeting our older kids there early..

Nice post Culpgrad. Was not asking for boasting. Just wanted to have some fun through educated debates. I enjoy witty people who can go toe to toe without crossing the line. I talked to the pbs station in culpeper this morning the broadcast will be taped delay. Tried to get him to do it live. Sorry!

Congrats to Culpeper. The 3b region is not one of the strongest in class 3. Your Blue Devils could win it all!
Yes they could...and that's a sad indication of the level of play in 3B this year. When Culpeper played EV this year, a lot of the fans on Culpeper's side were like "we shouldn't even be playing this team"....and they were right. It is good that they moved that rivalry game back to the 1st game of the season. At least Culpeper won't be coming in 0-5 or 1-4 with zero hope. Everyone has hope the first week.

Lol. I really can't or won't. I didn't say won't believe, I was more referring to easily refuted by the weak schedule. I will say this. Last year (yup I'm going there).. The EV O line was good, but this years O line is borderline great (several of them are just a year older) . And why I bring that up is.. Chancellor's D line last year was stock full of D1 guys. I promise (yes #49 for you guys is very good, very consistent, great motor) you don't have that 6'5" beast who is now at Penn State or the other kid who went to play for Army (Brown I think). We handled those guys, we stopped them, we planned for them etc. These kids that are on this team are basically the core of last years team. They played in tough games, I don't see them being intimidated by Dinwiddie. Just not gonna happen and they will fight right till the end, regardless of quick sores.
When someone wants to talk about speed, last week when our RB was breaking one off for 80yds, there was a kid trying to run him down, one of our WR's caught up to both of them with ease and blocked that last kid. Probably missed by many, but wow, I knew he was fast, but he ran across the field about 30yds and would have beaten both to the goal line if it was a race. Our RB is not slow. I think like us, Widdie is going to have to decide, what will they stop.

On a side note, good place to eat around there? My wife and I are meeting our older kids there early..
#77 has had a great year....has to be a blast to watch the film on some of those plays

The people who run it are Italian and speak it. The place is clean, food is good and the service is above average. Prices are fair. You might want to order your tickets on line.

Here I sit in my treestand this morning watching the squirrels at play and reading VaPreps on my smart phone. I certainly appreciate the calm demeanors being shown today! Kind of the calm before the storm Friday night! Just FYI; I was not stirring any pot. I just made an observation that many were condemning EV to a certain death at the hands of their opponent this Friday night. Now someone disputes that...so I decided to re-read the posts in this thread (as suggested) and found some interesting posts that may paint a slightly different picture...

So let’s start here:
“us Generals fans are pretty humble”. Okay most probably are, some not so much: “Dinwiddie will stop EV I will guarantee that…”; ““Yes I do think that EV has to play their best game...we do not”: “I do prefer a little smack talk…”;“Those results are hysterical”; “Dinwiddie is sitting on a sports car that they haven't brought out of the garage yet. IF they need to, they will bring it out.”

Now about this one:
“Quit playing the poor me/disrespect game. I havent heard one Monacan or Dinwiddie fan say their team was going to destroy their opponent.”;;

Well, maybe they have:
“Dinwiddie by 21-28 maybe running clock if they play great”; “Fact is, if EV played in the Central District, y’all would be doing good to finish 3rd.. Very lucky to crack the top 4 in the Capital and Dominion Districts. Truth hurts man.” (not from a Dinwiddie fan but some Dinwiddie folks liked it so…); “If EV were to go down and knock of the Goliath then it would be a major upset.”;

And the I am only trying to be nice comments?
“Actually just another thing for you sad sacks to cry about…”;“you appear to keep trying to push buttons hoping for a reaction. Not going to get it from me…”. Are these contradictory?

And the transitive theory is somehow convoluted by a few:
“Please don't use last either”; “Since realignment Dinwiddie is 10-0 at home in the playoffs and EV is 0-4 on the road in the playoffs”; “has EV even been tested yet this season game as an example?”; “No offense EV fans...but when the best team you've played is Courtland....not much else to say.”.

My position is this: This is HS football and tradition has to start somewhere. Gretna went 0-for-basically-a-decade and then, out of nowhere, won something like 5 state championships in 10 years. EV at Dinwiddie is not about the history of both schools...it is about the 2017 teams.

Someone asked for EV fans to post why EV will win. I have a simple answer, I think they will score more points! Why? They have scored over 50 points in every frigging game this year! But I have not seen Dinwiddie play and am at a disadvantage to those who have seen both...not on tape but in real time.

I know this post may be perceived as being combative...I hope it is not...just pointing out a few fallacies. I have 3 HS teams I follow in 4A and 2A. I hope the best for them each year.

I do have a friendly wager for BleedingNavy...If EV wins, you change your avatar to "EV" for the rest of 2017; I'll reciprocate if Dinwiddie wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
Not a chance! I like your confidence though. Thats all I can ask for. I was beginning to wonder if I had more confidence in EV than their own fans. Nice post. My whole intent of previous post was to eliminate the undergog theory which EV is not. The playoff record was a reference to the only difference between these two teams. Way to close to call. Happy hunting. Wish I were in a tree as well.

The people who run it are Italian and speak it. The place is clean, food is good and the service is above average. Prices are fair. You might want to order your tickets on line.
Yes we are grabbing ours today from the school. Nice, I just got a text from the Daughter at JMU shes coming home tonight.. the older boy is at WM so easy trip for him. Looks like we will be eating some Italian before the game... I like it when a plan comes together!

Here I sit in my treestand this morning watching the squirrels at play and reading VaPreps on my smart phone. I certainly appreciate the calm demeanors being shown today! Kind of the calm before the storm Friday night! Just FYI; I was not stirring any pot. I just made an observation that many were condemning EV to a certain death at the hands of their opponent this Friday night. Now someone disputes that...so I decided to re-read the posts in this thread (as suggested) and found some interesting posts that may paint a slightly different picture...

So let’s start here:
“us Generals fans are pretty humble”. Okay most probably are, some not so much: “Dinwiddie will stop EV I will guarantee that…”; ““Yes I do think that EV has to play their best game...we do not”: “I do prefer a little smack talk…”;“Those results are hysterical”; “Dinwiddie is sitting on a sports car that they haven't brought out of the garage yet. IF they need to, they will bring it out.”

Now about this one:
“Quit playing the poor me/disrespect game. I havent heard one Monacan or Dinwiddie fan say their team was going to destroy their opponent.”;;

Well, maybe they have:
“Dinwiddie by 21-28 maybe running clock if they play great”; “Fact is, if EV played in the Central District, y’all would be doing good to finish 3rd.. Very lucky to crack the top 4 in the Capital and Dominion Districts. Truth hurts man.” (not from a Dinwiddie fan but some Dinwiddie folks liked it so…); “If EV were to go down and knock of the Goliath then it would be a major upset.”;

And the I am only trying to be nice comments?
“Actually just another thing for you sad sacks to cry about…”;“you appear to keep trying to push buttons hoping for a reaction. Not going to get it from me…”. Are these contradictory?

And the transitive theory is somehow convoluted by a few:
“Please don't use last either”; “Since realignment Dinwiddie is 10-0 at home in the playoffs and EV is 0-4 on the road in the playoffs”; “has EV even been tested yet this season game as an example?”; “No offense EV fans...but when the best team you've played is Courtland....not much else to say.”.

My position is this: This is HS football and history has to start somewhere. Gretna went 0-for-basically-a-decade and then, out of nowhere, won something like 5 state championships in 10 years. EV at Dinwiddie is not about the history of both schools...it is about the 2017 teams.

Someone asked for EV fans to post why EV will win. I have a simple answer, I think they will score more points! Why? They have scored over 50 points in every frigging game this year! But I have not seen Dinwiddie play and am at a disadvantage to those who have seen both...not on tape but in real time.

I know this post may be perceived as being combative...I hope it is not...just pointing out a few fallacies. I have 3 HS teams I follow in 4A and 2A. I hope the best for them each year.

I do have a friendly wager for BleedingNavy...If EV wins, you change your avatar to "EV" for the rest of 2017; I'll reciprocate if Dinwiddie wins.

If any team hasn't had to take the sports car out of the garage yet it's EV. Was that post saying that Dinwiddie is so good they put their best out there for TD and Salem?

Not a chance! I like your confidence though. Thats all I can ask for. I was beginning to wonder if I had more confidence in EV than their own fans. Nice post. My whole intent of previous post was to eliminate the undergog theory which EV is not. The playoff record was a reference to the only difference between these two teams. Way to close to call. Happy hunting. Wish I were in a tree as well.
Make no mistake....EV is definitely the underdog. #1 vs #4 and while EV has beaten some good teams over the past few years, they have not played Salem/Dinwiddie/LT. Dinwiddie has been there before...and they're playing at home. I would say Vegas would make the Generals a 10 point favorite.

If any team hasn't had to take the sports car out of the garage yet it's EV. Was that post saying that Dinwiddie is so good they put their best out there for TD and Salem?
I guess but that poster would have to explain what he/she meant by it. Kinda' sounds like the scene from Heartbreak Ridge when the guys were chanting for "Swede" to come out and take care of Gunny Sgt. Highway...

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
VAHFS, that statement was simply about K'Vaughan Pope not playing offense this season. Both K'Vaughan Pope and Jacob Elder were injured against Salem; however, both played against Thomas Dale. Since those two returned to the lineup the Dinwiddie defense has been very stout against the run. Mbonape1 (Monacan fan) and NavyLife have referred to the elder Pope being a major weapon if he does play offense. He has only played on offense for a few plays against Denbigh and sparingly against Hopewell. Who knows if he will play offense Friday night or what factor he will have. Just having him on the field will give EV something to think about. Its tough to cover him 1 v 1, so it could free up our wideouts. Big Pope can also run the ball effectively, but we haven't seen that this year. He gave Monacan fits last season in the playoff game, so its always an option.

VAHFS, that statement was simply about K'Vaughan Pope not playing offense this season. Both K'Vaughan Pope and Jacob Elder were injured against Salem; however, both played against Thomas Dale. Since those two returned to the lineup the Dinwiddie defense has been very stout against the run. Mbonape1 (Monacan fan) and NavyLife have referred to the elder Pope being a major weapon if he does play offense. He has only played on offense for a few plays against Denbigh and sparingly against Hopewell. Who knows if he will play offense Friday night or what factor he will have. Just having him on the field will give EV something to think about. Its tough to cover him 1 v 1, so it could free up our wideouts. Big Pope can also run the ball effectively, but we haven't seen that this year. He gave Monacan fits last season in the playoff game, so its always an option.
Kind of like bringing a starting pitcher in from the bullpen during the World Series but you wouldn't do that in the regular season?

Yes we are grabbing ours today from the school. Nice, I just got a text from the Daughter at JMU shes coming home tonight.. the older boy is at WM so easy trip for him. Looks like we will be eating some Italian before the game... I like it when a plan comes together!
I wish BN and I could join you and your family for a meal. In past years we would have, but too many irons in the fire for both of us this year. Please stop by the press booth and introduce yourself.

Reactions: gwb16
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT